Heads Up On Medical Surgeries Or Scans

[Ne...]

I have seen a lot of people get hurt from medical procedures while in withdrawal. It is not new news, that some people get "lit up" so to speak, and  have a setback from certain procedures. First let me be clear, I am in no way suggesting that you "not" have a necessary medical procedure. Oftentimes they are 100% necessary, and needed. What I am suggesting, is that you try to put off any "elective procedures or surgeries" if and when it is safe to do so, after consulting your physician. Say you want to have cosmetic dental work or surgery done. It would be much better to wait.

Case in point, this has happened to me a couple times in the past year, and I am 100% healed from Benzos, "but still have a brain injury from  a chemical exposure to deal with, along with chemical hypersensitivity.  Last year my ENT wanted to give me a Benzo named "Versed" (commonly used as a drug to calm one before and during surgery). I have had Benzo's in general listed as an allergy for me on all of my records. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1510697/

But they had to give my propranolol as sedative to put me under for the 5 1/2 hour sinus septoplasty surgery which is a Gabergenic drug.  I have another Benzo Buddy, that needed a surgery on uterine fibroids and is already a long hauler. She told the doctors ahead of time not to use "any" Benzo's on her. But after the surgery she seen on the bill, they unfortunately did just that with several, and this was in India. Again, she needed the surgery, and she did what she could to shield herself. But it unfortunately ended up setting her back some. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, so she did the very best she could at the time.

There are many other drugs that would be considered to have Gabaergic effects  like Gadolinium, a common rare earth mineral used in many radiology scans,with many side effects potentially attributed to it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80AetP__tmA   Gena Norris was a healthy woman before this, and was not even suffering from Benzo withdrawal. This is why I ask for scans with "no contrast" just to be on the safe side. Some other scans use a radioactive scan contrast called Gallium-67, which is also potentially toxic and cancer causing.  https://www.lantheus.com/assets/gallium-67-citrate-oct15-2015-3-1.pdf

I got a spinal Myelogram at the Mayo Clinic when I was 18 years old. I am almost 68 now about 50 years later. They still see that contrast in my lower spine upon Xray to this day.   :  (

Thank you so much for mentioning this. I am having dental surgery Monday. Any thoughts, as I know you’re not a Dr., on propofol?

I have had several dental procedures. I recently just had two more teeth implants.

I have not had any uptick in SXs in relation to benzos at all.

Benzos not only damage the brain physically(addiction, tolerance.w/d), they also leave a large psychological scar, a benzo PTSD of sorts after you have recovered.

I surmise even at the end of life, some ppl might even request not to be given benzos for comfort. I know for me at the EOL, I want to be given whatever to make the transition from life to death as painless as possible. Why would anyone care about being given benzos or painkillers that they took during an earlier time in their life, went through a horrendous w/d, and recovered?

• Like 2

@[Ne...]  - I’ve seen many of our members have no problem at all with medical procedures while in withdrawal.  Others experience a setback.  What we have no way of knowing is exactly what factor or factors caused the setback. 

I went through several procedures during my withdrawal from clonazepam, including a colonoscopy, MRIs with contrast, and a 2 1/2 hour surgery. I was given a benzo for each event except the colonoscopy for which I received propofol at my request.  I had an uptick in symptoms after each event and each time it took several weeks to a couple of months to settle down.   In my own case I believe the primary cause of my upticks of symptoms was the physical and emotional stress of everything entailed in going through the procedure.(Colonoscopy prep for example is no picnic!).Of course, this is my opinion and based on personal experience and observation, nothing more.

And, again, many of our members have not experienced an uptick in symptoms following a procedure.

There simply is no way to substantiate that any of my post procedure issues were caused specifically by contrast dye or receiving a one-time benzo dose.   That would be speculation without the support of good data.  While there are definitely some people who have an allergy to contrast dye my understanding is it’s a small percentage and Benadryl is administered if necessary. Contrast dye is a very important diagnostic piece of imaging and may be a critical part of someone's care.  I'm sorry the woman in the YouTube video you shared had an adverse reaction to contrast dye and that you have lingering issues due to it but I certainly hope no one will resolve to avoid it at all costs based on your description of these unusual instances.  It’s always possible to find examples of extreme exceptions but we need to be careful about basing generalizations on such alarming exceptions as the ones you present here.  Frankly, I’m not sure it’s helpful.

I understand your opinion is the one time use of a benzo for a procedure should be avoided.   I don’t know that there’s any good evidence to support your view.  Here’s a statement about this from BB’s Frequently Asked Questions:

(10) I have to have a medical procedure during which my doctor says I will be sedated. Does this mean I have to go through withdrawal again?

You should not worry that a single dose of a benzodiazepine will cause the reemergence of withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal is the result of changes in brain receptors which happen over time and with regular use. These changes in receptors will not occur with only a single dose of a benzodiazepine.

• Like 4

My point was just to be careful, and not get a procedure if it were say cosmetic and not necessary. Also, you said they light some people up and not others. How do you know which person you will be? It seems prudent to me, to err on the side of caution if and where possible.   Bob

I've had some slight discomfort and ringing in my ears after getting fillings in my teeth, after being injected with numbing agents. It didn't set me back, but it made me feel a little strange for a couple days.

Also, I noticed in your post you stated propranolol, but it's actually propofol you're referring to I believe. I was on Propranolol for almost 20 years, that's a beta blocker. Propofol is the drug that puts you to sleep during anesthesia.

Luckily I haven't needed any surgeries or antibiotics yet throughout this process, and I might just go without antibiotics even if I get really sick. Unless I'm literally dying, nothing's going to be entering my body other than good food. Take care.

Thank you for everyone’s replies. I’ve spoken with Jennifer Leigh and a woman at Co Heal. Have requested Propofol in the amount they would use for a child.

Fingers crossed 🤞!

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
[mi...]

I have dental work coming up - fillings   I was wondering if I should put it off.   But since I'm in my first month of cutting back, I figure I'll take an extra if it's really bad.

[Ma...]

@[mi...] You may want to ask for novocaine without epernephrin (sp?). A lot of people react badly to that-especially in w/d.

• Like 1

[Kr...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[mi...] You may want to ask for novocaine without epernephrin (sp?). A lot of people react badly to that-especially in w/d.

Yeah, and make sure you double check before they give you the shots. I asked for this and ended up having been given the regular stuff. I called back the office an hour after being home because my heart was beating like crazy, I was dizzy and looping terror thoughts were running rampant. They said I was mistakenly given what I asked them to avoid.

They offered me a discount on the surgery.

Nice, huh? Idiots!!

[Sa...]
On 22/02/2024 at 06:30, [[M...] said:

Thank you for everyone’s replies. I’ve spoken with Jennifer Leigh and a woman at Co Heal. Have requested Propofol in the amount they would use for a child.

Fingers crossed 🤞!

Let us know how it goes, ok? You are in my thoughts and prayers. 

[Ma...]

@[Sa...] As he was about to inject me I said, Propofol, right? Him, No it’s P…… and I’m out.

Have been in bed ever since.

Son of a ……..😡

• 3 weeks later...
[Sa...]

I don’t understand Mary. You said he said it started with a “P”??

What did he inject in you that made you so sick? 
Versed or propophol?. 

[Ma...]

No idea 🤷‍♀️ but it wasn’t versed or the propofol I asked for. Don’t have the energy to call & ask.

Am back 10 months 🥹