Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Probiotic affects on a wd body?!

[Oc...]

Hi all,

I’m day four of acute and after a couple of years doing ok you can imagine my shock. 

I’m relentlessly trying to figure out if there’s a reason and so far I can only put it down to the reintroduction to yogurt and probiotic rich olives. 

Could this be it? Did three tubs of yogurt over 1.5 mths cause some kind of die off? 

Any wisdom any of you might have on the topic would be appreciated. 

I think the stress of your father being ill is the cause of this wave. I have hope it’ll pass. A couple of years of healing is huge. No one can take that away from you. And your CNS is still sensitive. But. It’s healing. And you have a few years of proof.  Hold on to that. A father being sick is a major life stressor. It makes sense    The only way out is through. Just keep going. You got this. One day at a time in the wave. 

I have the same problem with lactobacillus probiotics in yogurt. They make me really sick. If you do a search here on histamine intolerance, it might be helpful. Benzos are potent mast cell stabilizers (a lot of people who have mast cell activation syndrome, aka MCAS, end up on benzos), so when the benzos are cut, the mast cells go a bit crazy and release histamine. If you add more histamine, as in what's in yogurt, it can cause a histamine surge. Adrenaline is what balances out histamine, since too much histamine is toxic. So that causes tachycardia and anxiety. These adrenaline surges are why many people with low-level MCAS end up on benzos in the first place and it also is, IMO, the subset of people who end up with protracted withdrawal. 

You'll see a lot of posts here talking about how low histamine diets can help while tapering. I find that helpful. Then after tapering, over time, I think your body can figure out how to manage the histamine better. H1 (sinus antihistamines) and H2 blockers (stomach antihistamines) can also help, but they can also cause a different type of dependency and make things worse. One person here posted about what happened after a month on Pepcid (a H2 blocker), even though they recovered from protracted withdrawal previously. That post is here: 

MCAS is believed to be driven by an underlying, unidentified pathogen. It can be a viral, bacterial or fungal infection. Or mold exposure or lyme. Even though the cause is different, the result is the same, when it comes to MCAS and benzos. Working with a doc who can test for coinfections could be helpful. Also, the product Lauricidin, which is a highly concentrated and stabilized form of monolaurin, has some good data for eliminating fungal, viral and microbial infections. This seems to be helping my own MCAS a lot. (But I had to start REALLY slow). 

Hope this info is helpful. I don't sign on here too much, so forgive me in advance if I don't reply to replies. 

Sending you some positive healing thoughts! 

Edited by [...]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your recent bout of acute distress. Introducing yogurt and probiotic-rich olives might have disrupted your system, leading to discomfort. It's possible that the sudden change in diet triggered a reaction. U can read more info here https://betterme.world/articles/body-recomposition/ or consider consulting a healthcare professional for personalized advice. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Edited by [Od...]