2 years - 99% success, I can live with that ;)

[Sa...]

Dear forum!

I wrote about my journey to stopping Ambien in another part (old forum). For about 15 years I took half a tablet every day and thought nothing of it. It actually always helped. However, the constant going to the doctor and begging for a prescription had long been too much for me. In the end (I only knew this after I found the forum) there were also a few beginning withdrawal symptoms the day after. My path was radical and I reiterate that I do not recommend it. I stopped taking it within weeks and without any replacement medication. It took a few months, but in the end I was 99% cured.

I can't write 100%. It sometimes takes a long time to fall asleep. But I've come to terms with that. I've been going to the gym almost every day for an hour for two years and I've restructured my work. “Cleaning out” in the private sector (too many possessions, people who are not good for you, etc.) also helped immensely along the way. I have come to the conclusion that I have to combat the underlying evil of taking the tablets. For me it was the stress and the many obligations.

My experiences regarding “discontinuation” only relate to the drug Ambien. There is no research into what harm the drug can cause if taken long-term. But I stay positive and concentrate on the many new opportunities. The difficult journey has a nice side effect. Jet lag is no longer a big issue. I can not explain it! I've probably become jaded by my experiences when it comes to sleep. I would like to end with a positive topic :) Nobody can say what our individual path will be on the way to improving our situation. But improvement is possible! I would like to give back the hope that the forum gave me too. :D Sabitzer

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Hello Sab. Congratulations on your healing Fromm Ambien. 2 years and 99% healed is a dream! I also was on Ambien every night. Never abused it, took as prescribed. I’ve been off for 43 months and still recovering. I know that I will completely heal soon. This hasn’t been easy for me. It sounds like you had an easy time when you came off. I noticed you listed some insomnia as your symptom and nothing else. I’ve had several symptoms. Some have gone, some are still here but getting milder gradually and a couple of new ones have popped in and out. I was on it for a total off 7 years. That’s half the years you were on it. But I was on the controlled release for a year prior to tapering off. Perhaps that’s why I’ve had such a rough recovery. As you said the long term effects of it hasn’t been studied by physicians. What a shame. I hope you continue to live your best life. I’m looking forward to joining the healed group! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@[Sa...] - Thank you for sharing your Success Story.  We say this so often it begins to lose meaning, but every encouraging Success Story is truly is a gift to other members who are in the thick of withdrawal symptoms. 

I understand about setting your recovery percentage at 99%.  I'm 4 years out and I'd say I'm also 98 or 99% recovered.  Earlier in my recovery I thought I'd hit the max on healing but I was wrong.  In fact, I've continued to experience healing since I hit the 2 year mark.  

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 05/02/2024 at 09:06, [[L...] said:

Hello Sab. Congratulations on your healing Fromm Ambien. 2 years and 99% healed is a dream! I also was on Ambien every night. Never abused it, took as prescribed. I’ve been off for 43 months and still recovering. I know that I will completely heal soon. This hasn’t been easy for me. It sounds like you had an easy time when you came off. I noticed you listed some insomnia as your symptom and nothing else. I’ve had several symptoms. Some have gone, some are still here but getting milder gradually and a couple of new ones have popped in and out. I was on it for a total off 7 years. That’s half the years you were on it. But I was on the controlled release for a year prior to tapering off. Perhaps that’s why I’ve had such a rough recovery. As you said the long term effects of it hasn’t been studied by physicians. What a shame. I hope you continue to live your best life. I’m looking forward to joining the healed group! 

You are not alone. I was on ambien for only ten months. I’m 27 months out and still have withdrawal symptoms. I’m so fucking pissed that this drug is even available and marketed as safer than benzos because I fell into that trap. Never will trust anyone again with anything.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
[Gi...]
On 03/02/2024 at 17:15, [[S...] said:

Dear forum!

I wrote about my journey to stopping Ambien in another part (old forum). For about 15 years I took half a tablet every day and thought nothing of it. It actually always helped. However, the constant going to the doctor and begging for a prescription had long been too much for me. In the end (I only knew this after I found the forum) there were also a few beginning withdrawal symptoms the day after. My path was radical and I reiterate that I do not recommend it. I stopped taking it within weeks and without any replacement medication. It took a few months, but in the end I was 99% cured.

I can't write 100%. It sometimes takes a long time to fall asleep. But I've come to terms with that. I've been going to the gym almost every day for an hour for two years and I've restructured my work. “Cleaning out” in the private sector (too many possessions, people who are not good for you, etc.) also helped immensely along the way. I have come to the conclusion that I have to combat the underlying evil of taking the tablets. For me it was the stress and the many obligations.

My experiences regarding “discontinuation” only relate to the drug Ambien. There is no research into what harm the drug can cause if taken long-term. But I stay positive and concentrate on the many new opportunities. The difficult journey has a nice side effect. Jet lag is no longer a big issue. I can not explain it! I've probably become jaded by my experiences when it comes to sleep. I would like to end with a positive topic :) Nobody can say what our individual path will be on the way to improving our situation. But improvement is possible! I would like to give back the hope that the forum gave me too. :D Sabitzer

@[Sa...]

Congratulations on your recovery and well done 😊

May I ask if you had any muscle spasms, tightness and if you did could you describe it and how did it take to go away?

[Sa...]

I had pain in my upper left shoulder with the tablets. At first I thought it was the heart and I had it checked out. When I stopped taking it, I started strength training (4-5 times a week). That helped and the tension disappeared. Due to a trip I had to stop training for three weeks. The tension was back. As soon as I was back in training they were gone again. In the first few weeks after stopping I had restless legs.

• Like 1

[La...]
On 13/02/2024 at 16:43, [[D...] said:

You are not alone. I was on ambien for only ten months. I’m 27 months out and still have withdrawal symptoms. I’m so fucking pissed that this drug is even available and marketed as safer than benzos because I fell into that trap. Never will trust anyone again with anything.

Yes it’s sad the lie they told us! But we live and learned. I’m the same as you, I don’t trust them anymore. I’m so sorry that you’re healing slow too but I want to say I’m so happy that atleast it CAN heal. Yes it shouldn’t be on the market at all ! Keep your head up. We will heal completely. Hugs 

[La...]
8 hours ago, [[G...] said:

@[Sa...]

Congratulations on your recovery and well done 😊

May I ask if you had any muscle spasms, tightness and if you did could you describe it and how did it take to go away?

Yes I know you asked Sab but I have that symptom too. It went away during my first year but as of a month ago, it circled back.. BUT it’s milder and doesn’t last long. 

• Like 1

[Gi...]
2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Yes I know you asked Sab but I have that symptom too. It went away during my first year but as of a month ago, it circled back.. BUT it’s milder and doesn’t last long. 

@[La...]

Thank you for replying.

I have a very tight abdomen but the tightness and spasms that cycle round to rib, flanks, back and spine. Did you have any of this? My I also ask what your lingering symptoms are?

How long have you been off zolpidem?

I was on zolpidem and Zoplicone sporadically for about a month. Can’t believe I’m having all of these symptoms from it.

[Gi...]
On 13/02/2024 at 21:43, [[D...] said:

@[Dr...]

What symptoms are you experiencing if I may ask? I know here in the UK GPs give out z drugs lightly and blindly. Appalling! 

I too was on zolpidem for about a month but did not take it for more than twice a week and still, here I’m one year later dealing with muscle spasms and tightness.

[Gi...]
6 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I had pain in my upper left shoulder with the tablets. At first I thought it was the heart and I had it checked out. When I stopped taking it, I started strength training (4-5 times a week). That helped and the tension disappeared. Due to a trip I had to stop training for three weeks. The tension was back. As soon as I was back in training they were gone again. In the first few weeks after stopping I had restless legs.

@[Sa...]

Thank you for responding. I wish I only had the shoulder pain. My tightness and spasms are quite significant I’m very worried about my chances of healing.

Congratulation again on your recovery ❤️

[La...]
On 02/03/2024 at 17:27, [[G...] said:

@[La...]

Thank you for replying.

I have a very tight abdomen but the tightness and spasms that cycle round to rib, flanks, back and spine. Did you have any of this? My I also ask what your lingering symptoms are?

How long have you been off zolpidem?

I was on zolpidem and Zoplicone sporadically for about a month. Can’t believe I’m having all of these symptoms from it.

I’ve been off zolpidem for 44 months. 

• Like 2

[el...]

Congrats! You are an inspiration for me. One day i will write an essay about my journey, but maybe need some help from  https://essayroo.org/essay-writer . I feel pretty great about myself for the last couple of months and feel that i became stronger than ever. Hope it will stay that way for a while

Edited by [el...]

[Gi...]
On 02/03/2024 at 22:20, [[L...] said:

Hi @[La...],

May I ask where about did you experience spasms, tightness?

Thank you ❤️

Oops so sorry just realised you answered this 🤦🏽‍♀️

Edited by [Gi...]

[Gi...]
On 08/02/2024 at 00:26, [[B...] said:

@[Sa...] - Thank you for sharing your Success Story.  We say this so often it begins to lose meaning, but every encouraging Success Story is truly is a gift to other members who are in the thick of withdrawal symptoms. 

I understand about setting your recovery percentage at 99%.  I'm 4 years out and I'd say I'm also 98 or 99% recovered.  Earlier in my recovery I thought I'd hit the max on healing but I was wrong.  In fact, I've continued to experience healing since I hit the 2 year mark.  

Thanks again!

Hi Brighterday,

May I ask if you experienced any muscle spasms and tightness on torso and back.

Thank you ❤️

I am tapering Zolpiclone and it is really helpful to read other people's experiences with Z-drugs. Makes me feel less alone with it. 

I started on it *because* of muscle spasms. Who knows what is cause and effect now. I have had interdose withdrawal from the beginning. 

[Br...]
3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Hi Brighterday,

May I ask if you experienced any muscle spasms and tightness on torso and back.

Thank you ❤️

Yes, I did - and muscle issues of all sorts are common withdrawal symptoms - the symptoms tend to ease up as you heal. Mine did.  Hang in there!

• Like 1

[Gi...]
On 13/03/2024 at 13:24, [[B...] said:

Yes, I did - and muscle issues of all sorts are common withdrawal symptoms - the symptoms tend to ease up as you heal. Mine did.  Hang in there!

Thank you so much Brighterday for replying to me. I’m pleased to hear your torso and back muscles released because I often entertain the thought that these symptoms for me are here to stay since they feel so established and permanent. I don’t know. Did yours slowly lessen and lessen or just suddenly stopped?

Thank you ❤️

[Br...]

It was gradual for me @[Gi...].  I found very warm baths with Epsom salts was helpful.  I hope yours ease up soon.