Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Feelings of exertion bring on terrible physical symptoms

[ke...]

Hi, I have had a really hard time as imagine many of you have had too. I have been off benzos for about 15 months now after an 18 month taper. It was an incredibly traumatic experience for me, as I actually started coming off them accidentally. My doctors prescribed me very high doses of a different drug that is a strong enzyme inhibitor of the enzyme that breaks down klonopin. Took that for 7 years, then stopped abruptly. Anyway, hellish experience, lost job, lost girlfriend, no one could tell me what was wrong until I figured out myself by finding the interactions (that is literally listed in the medicine if you just google it.)

I have made it out of the acute withdrawals, but have some very intense lingering side effects. Some of them I know are just post acute withdrawals. Others I'm not sure.

The main one I want to share is this nasty reaction I get even from mild physical exertion. It could be as mild as having to squeeze extra hard to open a jar of jam. It's sets my body off, I feel tightness in my chest, hot flashes and even light headed when they are strong enough. It's not my heart or lungs ( I got them checked.) I go to the gym regularly, and it's hellish everytime I do it, but it helps ease the symptoms for the rest of the day. I also will find my heart rate hit 180 with moderate aerobic activity. I was a very active person most of my life so it's distressing that physical activity is so much harder for me now.

Has anyone experienced anything similar. Apart of me is saying this isn't from the benzos and there is something else wrong with me.

Edited by [ke...]

Hi @[ke...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm glad the worst of withdrawal is over, but I'm really sorry you are still struggling with the physical exertion. I know we have many members who have exercise intolerance and some who can't tolerate any physical strain. The most difficult part is to determine whether it is withdrawal or something else. Personally I believe that 98% of these symptoms are caused by withdrawal as I see it happen here all the time. However I was one of those where my "benzo" symptoms post-acute turned out to be something else. It was gut related (not exercise) and I attributed it to withdrawal for 5 months before discussing it with my doctor. Luckily it was an easy fix, but my symptoms were pretty bad during that time frame. Have you discussed this with doctor? 

Ultimately, like I said, it's likely withdrawal. That's what the tendency is around here on our site with lingering symptoms. I hope others will weigh in with their experiences and opinions.