Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hair loss, alopecia, areata, red itchy skin, red lines over my skin

[ol...]

Hey there,

I just wanted to list my symptoms here and see whether anyone is in the same boat. I'm 17 months off Ativan and cannot believe I am still having issues.

I have hair loss all over my scalp (even in the back) despite being on finasteride 1mg. I also have alopecia areata on a part of my beard (and strangely, the hair is growing thicker on my beard in another place). When I'm in the shower, I can draw red lines on my skin with my finger, my skin is so sensitive, and I have a rash on my chest that will not go away. This is not even an exhaustive list of all my symptoms. I assume my hormones are totally out of whack.

I'm hoping some has had similar issues so that I can put my mind at ease. Any comments are appreciated. Much love to everyone out there suffering from this.

I have a lotta hair loss too but I think it is mostly bc of my age and the curse of being born a male, LOL.

Females experience hair loss also but their sex and hormones make them much less susceptible to hair loss esp. as they age, like what most men go through. By age 35, about 2/3rds of all men will experience some hair loss to a certain degree (Yikes!). I did not really notice it until my mid-40s.

How old are you? The hair loss may have very little to do with benzo w/d.

I am on Ativan and 4! other psych meds all of which I am weaning off and I have developed Alopecia Areata which I think was brought on when I stopped Ambien . I am getting monthly shots (only one so far) from dermatologist in the area on my scalp and it seems to help with hair growth. I am also taking Biosil supplement. I am now going to try to change my diet and will be seeing a dietitian because from my reading this is an autoimmune response and inflammation worsens condition. It is very disheartening but I am determined not to let this steal my peace of mind! 

@[gr...] Let me know what works for you. I have found that direct sunlight (with sunscreen) for about 30-45 minutes per day makes me feel a lot better. I was also given corticosteroids for alopecia areata, but the hair is taking a long time to grow back.