Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Question for my mother.

[An...]

I live with my mother. I am her caretaker. She is 80 years old. She has osteoarthritis really bad in most of her joints now. The worst joint is on the right side of her body where the hip and thigh attach (hip joint).

Can anyone recommend anything topical that she could rub on the skin that might offer a little relief or some brain distraction away from the pain that could be purchased from a drug store, Walmart, or Amazon?

Thanks--

Antibenzo, have you tried castor oil with a hot water bottle? Castor oil penetrates deep and help relieve all types of pains. 

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Antibenzo, have you tried castor oil with a hot water bottle? Castor oil penetrates deep and help relieve all types of pains. 

No, thanks Jacky. I will try it. Thanks for your input. 👍

The only problem with it is that it’s messy, viscous and sticky but very effective for pains on joints, tendons and bones. I used it for all my pains with a heating pad but a hot water bottle is safer for your mom.  If you do try castor oil make sure it’s organic and hexane free. 
comphrey salve is the best. 

https://edenvalleycountrystore.com/products/comfrey-salve

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

Diclofenac is an option (not OTC, it's RX). Magnesium creams and lidocaine creams are available OTC, I believe.

Thanks a lot @[Nu...]  👍. I will ask her doc about the Diclofenac the next time I take her in.

I was confused with this kind of arthritis, your mom is bone on bone. That must be so painful. 
nursing buddy knows what she’s talking about. Does your mom tell you she’s in pain? 

1 hour ago, [[N...] said:

Diclofenac is an option (not OTC, it's RX). Magnesium creams and lidocaine creams are available OTC, I believe.

In many countries, diclofenac gel is now OTC. It is in the US, but before it was, I bought it overseas from Indonesia, as the FDA allows personal importation of up to a 90 day supply. Antibenzo can look into that. 

I have used Lidocaine, prescription is stronger (5%) than OTC (4%). It's what I primarily use now. It knocks things down if used consistently. 

Heat can help relieve osteoarthritis. Sometimes you can develop bursitis, in that case, use cold packs.

Magnesium oil comes in a spray bottle, and can help with relaxation, especially before bed. 

Voltaren gel that can be bought OTC at any pharmacy. Look for the name Voltaren. Also any menthol creams sold at drugstores. if the pain doesnt reduce, can use ice wrapped in a towel to keep inflammation down. My mom has the same problem.

2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I was confused with this kind of arthritis, your mom is bone on bone. That must be so painful. 
nursing buddy knows what she’s talking about. Does your mom tell you she’s in pain? 

Yes, she is in quite a bit of pain. She tells her doctor but all he tells her to do is keep using the OTC stuff you can buy for pain.

35 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Voltaren gel that can be bought OTC at any pharmacy. Look for the name Voltaren. Also any menthol creams sold at drugstores. if the pain doesnt reduce, can use ice wrapped in a towel to keep inflammation down. My mom has the same problem.

Thanks Scooby! 👍Much appreciated friend....

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

In many countries, diclofenac gel is now OTC. It is in the US, but before it was, I bought it overseas from Indonesia, as the FDA allows personal importation of up to a 90 day supply. Antibenzo can look into that. 

I have used Lidocaine, prescription is stronger (5%) than OTC (4%). It's what I primarily use now. It knocks things down if used consistently. 

Heat can help relieve osteoarthritis. Sometimes you can develop bursitis, in that case, use cold packs.

Magnesium oil comes in a spray bottle, and can help with relaxation, especially before bed. 

Ok BenzoLottie, all excellent suggestions. Much appreciated!