Cold turkey after 3mg daily for a month

[bu...]

Posting here to see if I can get some help. It's been 5 days since I stopped cold turkey from 3mg a night. First 3 days were the worst for me feeling like impending doom hanging over me almost no sleep with my arms jerking if I drifted off  and heart racing but day 4 and 5 not as intense my eyes feel weird and random numbness. How long will this last? 

• Like 2

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  You don't say exactly what you were taking, but you were taking it for a relatively short period of time.  You have developed a physical dependence however, and it is impossible to give you a time frame for healing.  It sounds like the worst of it may have passed for now, but please remember the healing process is non-linear.  Your symptoms will wax and wane until you are fully recovered.  

Hello @[bu...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

The withdrawal effects from suddenly stopping 3mg of benzodiazepine will vary enormously depending upon the specific benzodiazepine. Withdrawal from something like 3mg Valium might be uncomfortable; but withdrawal from, say, 3mg Klonopin, is potentially very dangerous after anything but very short-term use.

Given that you are experiencing numbness, this is suggestive to me that you have quit cold turkey from one of the more potent benzodiazepines. Again, this can be very dangerous.

Unless you have quit under the direction of a doctor (or other healthcare professional), you should probably reinstate at least part of your dose. I also suggest that you see your doctor.

Please confirm which benzodiazepine you take.

• Like 3

I agree with Colin. You can try to reinstate at a low dose of the benzodiazepine you were taking or even your original dose and stabilize. After you’re stable you can then start a slow, symptom based taper. Slow and steady wins the race. :) I happened to cold turkey diazepam, I have the same symptoms as you. I ended up reinstating and updosing (not recommending, just telling you what I’ve done) and I feel a lot better even though some symptoms are still present. Sadly, none of us can tell you how long it will last as we are all different and benzo withdrawal is unpredictable. Sometimes it lasts weeks or months. Please take care of yourself. If you want to ride out the cold turkey that’s your decision of course, just be careful and look out for yourself. Health and stability sent your way. ❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[bu...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

The withdrawal effects from suddenly stopping 3mg of benzodiazepine will vary enormously depending upon the specific benzodiazepine. Withdrawal from something like 3mg Valium might be uncomfortable; but withdrawal from, say, 3mg Klonopin, is potentially very dangerous after anything but very short-term use.

Given that you are experiencing numbness, this is suggestive to me that you have quit cold turkey from one of the more potent benzodiazepines. Again, this can be very dangerous.

Unless you have quit under the direction of a doctor (or other healthcare professional), you should probably reinstate at least part of your dose. I also suggest that you see your doctor.

Please confirm which benzodiazepine you take.

Sorry it was 3mg Lorazepam I still can't sleep much 

11 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

I agree with Colin. You can try to reinstate at a low dose of the benzodiazepine you were taking or even your original dose and stabilize. After you’re stable you can then start a slow, symptom based taper. Slow and steady wins the race. :) I happened to cold turkey diazepam, I have the same symptoms as you. I ended up reinstating and updosing (not recommending, just telling you what I’ve done) and I feel a lot better even though some symptoms are still present. Sadly, none of us can tell you how long it will last as we are all different and benzo withdrawal is unpredictable. Sometimes it lasts weeks or months. Please take care of yourself. If you want to ride out the cold turkey that’s your decision of course, just be careful and look out for yourself. Health and stability sent your way. ❤️

It was lorazepam 3mg a night. Thank you 

55 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

Sorry it was 3mg Lorazepam I still can't sleep much 

Yeah. Although Lorazepam is not the most potent of benzodiazepines, it is still far more potent than Valium (diazepam). It is of no surprise that you are suffering very pronounced withdrawal symptoms - quitting such a dose after extended use even could be dangerous (status epilepticus seizures in particular).

In your shoes, I would reinstate at least a good proportion (if not all) of my dose. And as @[an...] suggested, stabilise my dose for a while until I felt reasonably recovered, and then taper off off from there (probably over some months).

You did not mention, but for how long were taking lorazepam regularly?

• Like 1

Oops. I see that you mentioned use was for a month in the title of the thread - I missed that.

This makes some difference. You probably will need a taper lasting some weeks. Some might be able to manage a very short taper given use for only a month. But given your withdrawal experience, I would suggest following taper over a good few weeks or more if required.

I suggest that you taper according to how react (only making new cuts as you feel reasonably recovered from the previous cut).

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Oops. I see that you mentioned use was for a month in the title of the thread - I missed that.

This makes some difference. You probably will need a taper lasting some weeks. Some might be able to manage a very short taper given use for only a month. But given your withdrawal experience, I would suggest following taper over a good few weeks or more if required.

I suggest that you taper according to how react (only making new cuts as you feel 

Edited by [bu...]
Sorry I can't seem to quit making mistakes it's alprazolam not lorazepam I'm not familiar with benzos

No worries, @[bu...]

Alprazolam (Xanax) is more potent than lorazepam (it is about as potent as Klonopin), so my comments stand. It is large dose to quit cold turkey, even after fairly limited use of one month.

CT from 3mg of lorazepam. Thanks for giving me a nightmare while being awake. Expect 18 months taper. Minimum. I would reinstate lorazepam and then reduce as much before tolerance becomes too much, then cross to diazepam, librium or flurazepam and taper the rest.

Welcome to BB @[bu...]. Why did you CT 3 mgs of Ativan? Were you forced to stop abruptly? It is no wonder you feel so miserable. If you were only on for a month as Colin stated, you may or may not be able to ride things out. Did you start out taking 3 mgs? If yes, why so much and what were you taking it for?

23 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

CT from 3mg of lorazepam. Thanks for giving me a nightmare while being awake. Expect 18 months taper. Minimum. I would reinstate lorazepam and then reduce as much before tolerance becomes too much, then cross to diazepam, librium or flurazepam and taper the rest.

Hi @[Hu...]

I tapered off 4.5mg Rivotril (Klonopin/clonazepam) over six months. It was horrible, and probably faster than was advisable in my situation. I expect, give my history and withdrawal symptoms, I was a tougher case. Others will be able to taper more quickly than me (not that I am suggesting that people do this after protracted use). My point being, simply, is that we vary enormously in how quickly we can comfortably taper off benzodiazepines.

Further, we are not a representative sample of all those who withdraw from benzodiazepines. Rather, we are a self-selecting group of (generally) tougher cases. Those who experience few problems are unlikely to join this community.

Hey Colin, did you taper the klonopin or did you crossover to valium? 4.5 mgs of K in 6 months is pretty aggressive. How long did it take you to start feeling better? Maybe, you have this in your profile but I have not looked.

On 14/12/2023 at 21:15, [[A...] said:

Hey Colin, did you taper the klonopin or did you crossover to valium? 4.5 mgs of K in 6 months is pretty aggressive. How long did it take you to start feeling better? Maybe, you have this in your profile but I have not looked.

I had gone through a few cycles of very rapid withdrawal from clonazepam prior to my final withdrawal. We are talking about a taper from 4.5mg to zero over a period of about six weeks (I'd drop by 0.5mg every 4-5 days). This was under the direction of my neurologist and is standard protocol as far as I know.

The first time I did this, a few days after my final dose, I woke up one morning completely numb down the whole of my left side. Down the left side of my face, the left side of my torso, the whole of my left arm and left leg, everywhere! I was so totally cognitively messed up from the withdrawal, I was not really that concerned by what I thought might have been a stroke. It was only through the insistence of a friend that I called my GP (the GP would not call out to see me - I was advised to call an ambulance). Remaining rather unconcerned, I instead called the hospital and somehow managed to talk with a neurologist. He advised me to immediately reinstate a small dose, which I did. Within a day (or maybe some hours) the numbness more or less disappeared. I was still in very bad shape of course, but I stuck at 0.5mg for a couple of weeks before gradually reinstating over a month or so.

The reason for the withdrawal was because I had become tolerant of clonazepam (to treat myoclonus). It was the only viable treatment, and the only viable alternative to a 'reset' withdrawal was to instead increase my dose. But since I was highly likely to become tolerant of the new dose (necessitating further increases), and because I was already on a very high dose, this did not strike me as a sensible option.

The reset was only partially successful. Clonazepam worked better, but not as well as did originally. And for a shorter period of time too. So, about once a year, I'd taper off (but down to 0.5mg, not totally off) over about 6 weeks, stabilise for two weeks, and then gradually increase my daily dose back up to 4.5mg. I'd lose about three months out of twelve doing this, and for limited gain. Eventually, I decided I was going taper off once and for all, but more gradually - over a period of six months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Welcome to BB @[bu...]. Why did you CT 3 mgs of Ativan? Were you forced to stop abruptly? It is no wonder you feel so miserable. If you were only on for a month as Colin stated, you may or may not be able to ride things out. Did you start out taking 3 mgs? If yes, why so much and what were you taking it for?

I'm new to this so forgive me it was alprazolam not lorazepam I confuse them I'm not familiar with benzos. I've always had trouble sleeping I started a few days taking 1mg for sleep and it helped a bit but then not much so I took 3mg and that helped me sleep no problems 

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

I had gone through a few cycles of very rapid withdrawal from clonazepam prior to my final withdrawal. We are talking about a taper from 4.5mg to zero over a period of about six weeks (I'd drop by 0.5mg every 4-5 days). This was under the direction of my neurologist and is standard protocol as far as I know.

The first time I did this, a few days after my final dose, I woke up one morning completely numb down the whole of my left side. Down the left side of my face, the left side of my torso, the whole of my left arm and left leg, everywhere! My I was so totally messed up mentally from the withdrawal; I was not really concerned by what I though might have been a stroke. It was only through the insistence of a friend that I called my GP (they would not call out to see - I was advised to call an ambulance). Still not that concerned, I instead called the hospital and somehow managed to talk with a neurologist. He advised me to immediately reinstate a small dose, which I did. Within a day (or maybe hours) the numbness more or less disappeared. I was still in very bad shape of course, but I stuck at 0.5mg for a couple of weeks before gradually reinstating over a month or so.

The reason for the withdrawal was because I had become tolerant of clonazepam (to treat myoclonus). It was the only viable treatment, and the only viable alternative to a 'reset' withdrawal was to instead increase my dose. But since I was highly likely to become tolerant of the new dose (necessitating further increases), and because I was already on a very high dose, this did not strike me as a sensible option.

The reset was only partially successful. Clonazepam worked better, but not as well as did originally. And for a shorter period of time too. So, about once a year, I'd taper off (but down to 0.5mg, not totally off) over about 6 weeks, stabilise for two weeks, and then gradually increase my daily dose back up to 4.5mg. I'd lose about three months out of twelve doing this, and for limited gain. Eventually, I decided I was going taper off once and for all, but more gradually - over a period of six months.

So I had it wrong I was taking 3mg alprazolam not lorazepam sorry for the mix up I'm not familiar with benzos was taking it once a day after I got home from work to sleep 

Stopped taking it after a car incident where not paying attention i turned and ran over railroad tracks and popped tires. I stopped taking it immediately because I drive every night for work and was afraid they'd test me randomly but don't have a prescription my father was giving it to me to help me sleep I've always had problems sleeping.

Update so the 5th and a half day point my anxiety shot up and my heart Kept pounding I didn't sleep at all my arms and legs wouldn't stop jerking so at 11am I took 2mg of it because I needed to sleep I slept 5 hours straight for the first time in 5 days ugh I didn't want to go back on it

So I made it through the day on the alprazolam 2mg that I took at 10am was feeling anxious all day tho going to try another 2mg. Any advice is appreciated I thank you all for the comments and replys I've never been this scared of tiny pills in my life. 

Hi, @[bu...].  With your 'short-term' use, insomnia as a pre-existing condition, and no formal prescription (your father's medication), I would try and get off as quickly as you are able.  I feel dosing 2mg Alprazolam once daily for a longer period to 'get stable' is only going to cause more issues for you.  In my opinion, you will just be deepening your dependency, and with it's very short half-life also be bringing inter-dose withdrawal in to play (dosing Alprazolam once a day).

I know it will be uncomfortable, but perhaps you could reduce by .5mg every 5-7 days and push through?  As @[Co...] stated, it is large dose to quit cold turkey - even after fairly limited use of one month.  I would prepare to be uncomfortable, but I believe it would be doable.

I hope your father has enough medication for you to get through the month or so.  The only other alternative in my opinion would not be ideal in your situation - to obtain a prescription from a cooperative medical provider, with the intent to get 'stable' on a dose, dosing multiple times daily to stave off inter-dose withdrawal, and prepare to proceed with a patient-led, symptom and functionality-based taper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Hi, @[bu...].  With your 'short-term' use, insomnia as a pre-existing condition, and no formal prescription (your father's medication), I would try and get off as quickly as you are able.  I feel dosing 2mg Alprazolam once daily for a longer period to 'get stable' is only going to cause more issues for you.  In my opinion, you will just be deepening your dependency, and with it's very short half-life also be bringing inter-dose withdrawal in to play (dosing Alprazolam once a day).

I know it will be uncomfortable, but perhaps you could reduce by .5mg every 5-7 days and push through?  As @[Co...] stated, it is large dose to quit cold turkey - even after fairly limited use of one month.  I would prepare to be uncomfortable, but I believe it would be doable.

I hope your father has enough medication for you to get through the month or so.  The only other alternative in my opinion would not be ideal in your situation - to obtain a prescription from a cooperative medical provider, with the intent to get 'stable' on a dose, dosing multiple times daily to stave off inter-dose withdrawal, and prepare to proceed with a patient-led, symptom and functionality-based taper.

I was used to taking 3mg once a night after and after the 5 days cold I took the 2mg because I thought I was going to have a seizure the way my arms and legs were jerking. I took 2mg the next night and was able to sleep a full 7 hours. Should I start the taper tonight to 1.5? I'm not familiar with any tapering or the length I just thought I went 5 days without 3mg so I Start at 2mg 

Hi again, @[bu...].  My opinion is it is a good sign you responded so well to reinstating 2mg and slept 7 hours.  If it were me, I would probably take 2mg for 5 days or so and then drop to 1.5mg for 5-7 days etc..

Again, the goal for you is to get off as quickly, yet safely, as possible considering your short-term, yet high dosage, use.  Hopefully others may stop by to either confirm, or dispute, my opinion, and suggestion, for your individual situation. 

7 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

Hi again, @[bu...].  My opinion is it is a good sign you responded so well to reinstating 2mg and slept 7 hours.  If it were me, I would probably take 2mg for 5 days or so and then drop to 1.5mg for 5-7 days etc..

Again, the goal for you is to get off as quickly, yet safely, as possible considering your short-term, yet high dosage, use.  Hopefully others may stop by to either confirm, or dispute, my opinion, and suggestion, for your individual situation. 

Yes I want to get off it as soon as possible that's why I tried it cold but I failed. Do you think it would be safe to cut .5 sooner? Like 3 or 4 days? I just want to get off this stuff. Are withdrawals as intense when you get down to a lower dose? 

@[bu...] I am not a doctor, and everyone is different, but my opinion would be that it is most likely ‘safe’ in your situation if you reduced every 3-4 days assuming you do not have any known serious medical conditions or are prone to seizures.  An extra day here or there is unlikely to change anything in your situation however.

I would expect to be uncomfortable, but listen to your body.  If you experience body numbness, or seizure like symptoms, I would not reduce any further and seek professional medical care.

Like I said before, it is a good sign that you re-instated 2mg and slept 7 hours.  I for example failed rapid tapered 15mg diazepam over 3 weeks, reinstated the full dose and it was if I had taken nothing.  I though was a ‘long-term’ user of 3+ years so my situation is far different than yours. 

• Like 1