Important Survey - Please Participate ×

2 years off of Benzos, sleep still rough

[...]

I’m in a wave at the moment as well. I haven’t posted much here, but I’m a 24 year old medical student. 1.5 years ago I got prescribed Zopiclone for sleep, after just a couple of poor nights of sleep caused by exam stress. Mind you I have never had sleep issues before, and those “bad” nights were nothing compared to the withdrawal. I used Zopiclone sparingly for 3 months before my sleep got so bad that I decided to come off the drug. After that I was in acute for 6 months, and then things got a bit better. But now I’ve been in a wave for a couple of days and my sleep is pretty bad (0-3 hours per night). I’m worried I won’t be able to continue studying and I don’t know what to do. When I’m better, my sleep is still not as good as it was before the drug. I wake up a lot and have off nights here and there. But when I’m worse, it’s inhumane. Should I take a break from my studies? Should I consider doing something else? I think this is going to last longer than I thought and I really don’t know what to do with my life. 

Edited by [cu...]

10 hours ago, [[c...] said:

I’m in a wave at the moment as well. I haven’t posted much here, but I’m a 24 year old medical student. 1.5 years ago I got prescribed Zopiclone for sleep, after just a couple of poor nights of sleep caused by exam stress. Mind you I have never had sleep issues before, and those “bad” nights were nothing compared to the withdrawal. I used Zopiclone sparingly for 3 months before my sleep got so bad that I decided to come off the drug. After that I was in acute for 6 months, and then things got a bit better. But now I’ve been in a wave for a couple of days and my sleep is pretty bad (0-3 hours per night). I’m worried I won’t be able to continue studying and I don’t know what to do. When I’m better, my sleep is still not as good as it was before the drug. I wake up a lot and have off nights here and there. But when I’m worse, it’s inhumane. Should I take a break from my studies? Should I consider doing something else? I think this is going to last longer than I thought and I really don’t know what to do with my life. 

Hi @[cu...], I have some thoughts about your situation, and I’m sure others do too so I hope you’ll start a thread of your own so we can do our best to help you sort this out.  Please, please don’t make any major decisions about this until we get a chance to discuss it, remember, not all is as it seems, fear and despair oftentimes override our logical thoughts when we’re going through this. 

Pamster

Late insomnia waves are somewhat common.  I am going on 8 years off and still get an  insomnia wave one or two times per year.  Some last for up to 6 weeks or more but most are just one off nights or a few poor nights spread out over a week or so.  They always even out over time.  My story was similar to yours.  I had a few bad nights of sleep so they put me on Xanax which worked great for about 6 weeks, then I had to constantly increase the dose.  My PCP then switched me over to Clonazepam (Klonopin) and a few weeks later added Temazepam (Restoril).  My sleep was terrible for about 9-10 months and then came back in fits and starts, sort of like the stock market.  Have you tried CBT-i or CBD or any of the OTC sleep remedies?  Early on, nothing helped me short of an non-Benzo Rx drug like Seroquel or Mirtazepine, but today I get decent relief from 25mg of Doxylamine (Unisom) on those one off nights.

I worked through my withdrawal and took sick days as needed.  I was amazed at how well we can function on very little sleep.  Don't lose hope.  You'll get past this!

I'd read this post:  

• Like 1