Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hypoglycemia

[he...]

Let’s talk low BG 

In 2021 shortly after getting off Xanax the low blood sugars started. I had no clue the correlation, I had a lot of other health issues come up that made no sense at the time I was gaslit and told it was somatic. Since it was believed to be somatic I was started on klonopin and then insured more hell. Although the blood sugar seemed to be less of an issue. 
  6/2022 I was misdiagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and put on a TNF inhibitor. Shortly after I was diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and started on Creon. A good majority of my symptoms started to heal once I started the Creon. The TNF inhibitor was making me sick a lot, colds, pneumonia, UTIs, thrush. So the rheumatologist said and I quote “ well I don’t know what’s wrong with you, I’m not convinced it’s AS, so stop taking Cimzia (TNF inhibitor). I’m leaving the practice next month, follow up with my colleague”. 
  Mind you the TNF inhibitor is a cancer causing medication and I have a history of cancer. Come to find out I should’ve never been on it to begin with. 

June 2023-Discontinued Klonopin after a 6-8 month taper. I feel like shit feel like I’m allergic to everything. 
July 2023 I’d the last dose of my TNF inhibitor which takes about a month to fully get out out of your system. 
throughout the whole time I was of course anxious. I eat and feel like my throat is closing up, I flush and get tachycardic within 30-60 minutes of eating. Maybe it’s benzo brain but I had thought that it had to do with histamine intolerance or MCAS but completely forgot that this had happened to me in the past and didn’t even think my Bg was low. 

10/4/23- I went for non-fasting labs I drank a protein shake and ate a banana then had my blood drawn about 30 minutes later. My blood glucose was 42!!! No wonder I was so anxious, I thought it was all in my head. 

10/19/23- Functional med sends me for more blood work. Still waiting for my BG before eating but I can guarantee it was not low, I felt fine. Two hours after eating plain oatmeal (I never add sugar to anything anymore) and a protein shake my BG was 67! 

I am getting scared because I can not figure out what’s wrong and I feel like I’m a lone in this. Has anyone had this happen after stopping benzos? Did it resolve, if so how long and what did you do? 

Edited by [he...]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really sorry to hear about the health challenges you've been facing. It's understandable that you're feeling scared and alone in this situation. While I can't offer medical advice, I encourage you to reach out to your healthcare provider for further guidance and support. Additionally, contacting dexcom customer service might be helpful, as they specialize in continuous glucose monitoring and could provide insights specific to your situation. Stay strong and take care of yourself.

Edited by [ha...]

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2023 at 15:29, [[h...] said:

Let’s talk low BG 

In 2021 shortly after getting off Xanax the low blood sugars started. I had no clue the correlation, I had a lot of other health issues come up that made no sense at the time I was gaslit and told it was somatic. Since it was believed to be somatic I was started on klonopin and then insured more hell. Although the blood sugar seemed to be less of an issue. 
  6/2022 I was misdiagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and put on a TNF inhibitor. Shortly after I was diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and started on Creon. A good majority of my symptoms started to heal once I started the Creon. The TNF inhibitor was making me sick a lot, colds, pneumonia, UTIs, thrush. So the rheumatologist said and I quote “ well I don’t know what’s wrong with you, I’m not convinced it’s AS, so stop taking Cimzia (TNF inhibitor). I’m leaving the practice next month, follow up with my colleague”. 
  Mind you the TNF inhibitor is a cancer causing medication and I have a history of cancer. Come to find out I should’ve never been on it to begin with. 

June 2023-Discontinued Klonopin after a 6-8 month taper. I feel like shit feel like I’m allergic to everything. 
July 2023 I’d the last dose of my TNF inhibitor which takes about a month to fully get out out of your system. 
throughout the whole time I was of course anxious. I eat and feel like my throat is closing up, I flush and get tachycardic within 30-60 minutes of eating. Maybe it’s benzo brain but I had thought that it had to do with histamine intolerance or MCAS but completely forgot that this had happened to me in the past and didn’t even think my Bg was low. 

10/4/23- I went for non-fasting labs I drank a protein shake and ate a banana then had my blood drawn about 30 minutes later. My blood glucose was 42!!! No wonder I was so anxious, I thought it was all in my head. 

10/19/23- Functional med sends me for more blood work. Still waiting for my BG before eating but I can guarantee it was not low, I felt fine. Two hours after eating plain oatmeal (I never add sugar to anything anymore) and a protein shake my BG was 67! 

I am getting scared because I can not figure out what’s wrong and I feel like I’m a lone in this. Has anyone had this happen after stopping benzos? Did it resolve, if so how long and what did you do? 

Hey did you figure this out? This is happening to me during my taper

Hey @[he...]

Ok. So I don't have many answers for you but I have some striking similarities.  I was never hypoglycemic until about a month or 2 after I started taking Klonopin.  I took it for 20 years and I have been off for about 5 months.  The hypoglycemia disapeared for a month-ish after I jumped, but now it is back intermittently.  I think it's safe to say that there is a correlation between benzos and blood sugar issues.  I'm just waiting to see how this all shakes out. 

• Like 1

This is the wrong link! Sorry

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=146.0

Hey BurnTheShips, I found this link today. Brighterday gave it me 3 weeks ago but I only read a little bit of it. 

There is a wealth of information here that answers a lot of questions we have. I was amazed to find every symptom I have and many I've read from other members. I had high blood sugar when I was protracted a couple years, I was eating foods that definitely raises it, nut it was up and down. The link there explains how we who go thru this process have symptoms of many diseases, people getting diahmostic testing from gi and found nothing for example. 

I didn't see blood sugar issues but I didn't look for it either. I hope this helps answer some of yours and healingbyday questions. I clicked on sensitivity something abd I was so amazed!

Hope this helps

By for now

ns

2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections