Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Topical clobetasol (steroids)

[Ha...]

I posted about this the other week, but can't find it now so not sure if it was before the new move. Anyway.....

I was prescribed clobetasol for alopecia areata. As I'm quite far out I thought I'd try a little. Think it put me into a wave for a few hours, so stopped. Fast forward to today and my head was itching like mad and really inflamed, so used a little. Instantly I felt calm, and almost symptom free. I've googled it as you do and can't find any links to GABA. But know people have had problems with steroids in the past hence my reluctance to use it. 

Waiting for some payback now (hope it's short lived) but was wondering if anyone has any information on why I would get such a relief from symptoms? 

• 5 months later...

@[Ha...] I have also developed alopecia areata, and oddly enough, I have a similar reaction to the treatment they gave me for it. I had ketoconazole shampoo, and also a corticosteroid, both of which seemed to to make me feel strange. Ketoconazole really revved me up first, and then it brought on benzo-like chill feelings I had almost forgotten.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[mi...]

Have used topical steroids for a very long time for severe atopic dermatitis.  I am switching to elocom and protopic.   The last time I used clobetasol was during my first month of attempted taped and it threw me for a loop.  Racing heart.  Frankly I'd rather wear a hat or wig.