Hi! New Member, 18 years of therapeutic benzo usage

[Dr...]

Hi All!

I've been on various benzos since PTSD and a moderate TBI from car accident. Have successfully tapered off of Klonopin on my own twice, only to return to them from panic attacks and severe anxiety. I've been on Valium for about 2 years. Currently tapering under my psychiatrist who reduced me initially from 30 mg daily to 20 mg daily.  I'm at week 4, and withdrawal symptoms are horrific, especially with uncontrollable bouts of crying. Historically, I've been diagnosed with panic attacks, panic disorder, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar type 2, moderate TBI, tinnitus, lupus, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, migraines, TMJ, IBS, wheat and eggs intolerance, hyperhidrosis, short term memory loss, juvenile heart arrhythmia, cervical degenerative disk disease, and probably more I forgot.  ;)

Oh my word, no wonder you're in benzo hell. We always advise cuts to be no more than 5-10% and yours was 33%. What's the rush after all these years?

If symptoms are too tough then you can updose to get some relief - that's if you'll have enough pills because I saw she won't let you taper according to your own speed. If she continues this it might be worthwhile trying to find another prescriber.

You can also try and give her this document  Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Indeed. I had to switch providers, as my old one has retired. This provider does not prescribe benzos for long term, and stated she would not prescribe them for me unless I wanted to get off of them. 

That's the issue. Based on her 25% monthly cuts, I'm trying to math out if I can stretch them according to at least Dr. Ashton's guide.

Thank you so much,  I will! Unfortunately, mental health providers in GA, USA are far and few between. Leaving us reeling while waiting for an appointment where a Dr. may or may not understand the true implications of benzo usage and withdrawal. Especially long term.

Is there a good topic forum to ask about withdrawal symptoms while tapering and the timeline for symptoms during each drop?  :smitten:

Hi. do you know what brand of k or man you manufacture you are on .  There changing so many and I'm not doing well on teva brand. Dr wants to switch me to Valium . I tapered from 2mg of k to 1 .125 but then the anxiety got so bad.  My husband just pasted away 37 day ago and I'm a total mess and alone and grieving.

It's TEVA.

Oh my, my sincerest condolences for the loss of your husband. I hated K more than I do Valium, but I honestly hate them all. Valium is longer acting, and the downfall is it usually takes longer to leave our system.

Has your provider discussed what mg of Valium they want to prescribe?

Indeed. I had to switch providers, as my old one has retired. This provider does not prescribe benzos for long term, and stated she would not prescribe them for me unless I wanted to get off of them. 

That's the issue. Based on her 25% monthly cuts, I'm trying to math out if I can stretch them according to at least Dr. Ashton's guide.

Thank you so much,  I will! Unfortunately, mental health providers in GA, USA are far and few between. Leaving us reeling while waiting for an appointment where a Dr. may or may not understand the true implications of benzo usage and withdrawal. Especially long term.

Is there a good topic forum to ask about withdrawal symptoms while tapering and the timeline for symptoms during each drop?  :smitten:

I'm so sorry to hear that. I was in a similar situation as my original provider cut me off. My new prescriber though was lovely. She said she'll only prescribe for deprescribing purposes but I was in control. As long as she could see some progress over time she was happy. But she got me when I was in benzo hell and suffering severe withdrawal and we didn't know what was happening. So that probably helped as well because she knew how sick I was.

The best place to ask those questions will be Withdrawal Support (during your taper)