newbie sleeping problem

[fo...]

Hey Buddies,

I am still new here, i have tried to find posts with similar problem that i currently have, but nothing.

So here is my story:

First of all i would like to mention that i haven't taken any benzo or any other sleeping pills yet and i am not planing to.

I am facing bad sleeps for almost 3 months which means i could fall asleep almost the same time but no more than 4-6 hours.

Unfortunately my problem rapidly became hell for the last two weeks. I slept NOTHING at that time and it scares me (i don't even have W/D) i can't fall asleep at all no matter what.

My doctor is no option he immediately tried to give me some pills which i refused, i can imagine how i would end up with them...

My mental wellbeing is on the line i can't function like this. I have relationship problems too which gives me more anxiety to my sleep and i dont know how to solve it. sorry if it sound i am b*tching about a small issue i know there are buddies with much harder problems.

i welcome any ideas what should or could i do?

PS. Sorry for my English its not my native language. :)

Hello forza91  Welcome to benzobuddies

I am sorry you are dealing with Insomnia, It’s a dreadful symptom, I have an idea what you’re going through.  My Insomnia was caused by benzodiazepines, it started in withdrawal but thankfully my sleeping pattern returned while in recovery. 

Insomnia is not a small issue, It’s horrendous.  Sleep is important, If you are not getting enough sleep it makes everything worse because you can’t function properly.  I am glad that you have avoided medication up to now,  If you read through the Insomnia threads, you might find some tips/help with your sleep issues. I am sure you will get some support and advice from our members struggling with sleep issues.

Magrita :smitten:

Hi again, I don't know what you've tried already, I tried everything,  meditation/relaxing music, reading a book before bed,  a warm bath or shower does help you relax before bed.  Some take supplements I couldn't take anything as I was in benzo withdrawal and supplement's revved up my symptoms.

I am posting this link I found.

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/Insomnia183.htm

HINTS FOR BETTER SLEEP

Here are simple ways to improve your sleep and rest:

1 Avoid all stimulants, especially near bedtime.  This includes caffeine, loud music, difficult work, exercise in most cases, and all other stimulating activities and even thoughts.

2. Stretch, meditate, relax and read a spiritually uplifting book or listen to a spiritually uplifting tape, movie or other source of information before bed each night.

Many times this is a double blessing.  Not only are you uplifted spiritually, but you will sleep better.  There is no shortage of material to choose from, including the bible and so many uplifting movies, books, CDs and more.  Do not stay up late with this, however. Start it early so you can go to bed early.

3. Go to bed earlier.  Many people claim they must go to be late to fall asleep.  However, in my experience, if you will go to bed much earlier, say 8 PM, you will sleep even longer in most cases.

What happens is that if you stay up past an early hour, you stimulate your sympathetic nervous system in order to sustain you in an awake condition.  This stimulation, however, then prevents or retards the resting process when you finally decide to go to bed.  If you can completely avoid the sympathetic “kick” late in the day or early evening, you will sleep much longer and deeper.

If needed, set an alarm to go off at 8 PM or even earlier to remind you stop all activities and prepare for bed.

• Like 1

Sorry you are having non-Benzo induced insomnia.  Insomnia for no reason is what started me on the path to Benzos. 

It has been said that CBT-i is about 85% as effective as taking Benzos or other sleeping pills?  Your insomnia is most likely stress and/or psychologically caused?  You are wise to avoid Benzos and other Rx drugs, but you might want to look into natural/herbal sleep solutions.  Valerian root, magnesium, and even Reshi mushrooms have shown promise to help you relax and get some sleep  Below is a list of herbs that may or may not help you get some sleep?  Good luck.

Valerian

Lavender

Lemon balm

German chamomile

Passionflower

Ashwagandha

California poppy

Hops

St. John's Wort

Chamomile tea

Catnip

Peppermint