Have to go for root canal - not sure what to do or what to tell dentist

[Pi...]

Made dentist appt.  Took. X-rays.  I need root canal. 

There is no way I won’t react to the eprinephrine used to freeze my tooth.  I have no idea what I am suppose to say to dentist.  My tooth is better so I could put it off for a couple of months.

Anyone have any ideas?  I’m a private person so I don’t want to go into a big explanation about coming off Ativan etc.

They can use something without epinephrine. Just tell em you react badly to it and cannot tolerate it….there are alternatives.

I am extremely sensitive to drugs.  Extremely. I asked that they not use any topical AND to only use the smallest amount of carbocaine w/o epi.  I did not have a reaction.

I have had big reactions to topical and with other stuff like lidocaine.

I personally would not let it go for long as you may get an infection - and potentially need antibiotics.

I had a lot of dental work done while in withdrawal/recovery, thanks benzos for doing a great job of drying out the saliva that can help prevent dental issues.

Even before benzos, I have been sensitive to epinephrine.  My work is done with carbocaine only. I've never had issues with it, even with oral surgery and dental implants.

pianogirl  :smitten:

a root canal without the epi ugh I can’t imagine the pain. The reason they use epi in the lidocaine is it makes it work better / stronger.  The pain relief is way better with epi.  Trust me I tried without epi and wow did it hurt.    What I ended up settling on is nitrous.  All epi does is rev you up gives pretty bad anxiety.  So ask for nitrous.  With nitrous there is the initial first few breaths and your body will freak out and rev you up and heart rate go up but it only lasts maybe 30 second then you instantly feel calm as could be.  Honestly the time I was on nitrous at the dentist was the last time in this whole process I felt normal.  Told the dentist I wished I could walk around with a scuba tank of nitrous 24/7. After the root canal they will wean you off the nitrous. I even asked for a few extra minutes to let the epi out of my system and they didn’t care left me in there prob another 15-30 mins just breathing up nitrous and when I came off I noticed nothing.  My procedure was a 4 hour procedure too.  Nitrous makes it feel like time goes by fast.  My procedure took 4 hours seemed to take 20-30 mins. Yet I felt 100% lucid not loopy at all. Not sure how that happened anywho ask for nitrous and epi

• 5 weeks later...

Hello! I hope you are well. I am going back to my dentist after a long-overdue check. And I might be having a root canal. 😭😭😭😭😭

I also don't know what to tell my dentist. How was your dental op?