Alprazolam - tapering / how much is "much"?

[sd...]

Hey everyone; this is my first post here! =)

I've been trying hard to find information and I really hope I can find it here!

TL;DR: How soft a taper is needed for Alprazolam, going from 0.5mg/day for half a year? Should I be afraid, having only 20mg left?

I'm not sure what the response will be to this post. I'm confused about how slow a tapering I should go for.

A slow taper and diazepam substitution seems to be the norm; and yet some information suggests a much faster and simpler tapering schedule for low dosages.

I guess it would depend on several factors.

The thing is, I'm suffering from GAD and I'm a (fair) bit of a hypochondriac. I also have great respect regarding the Alprazolam dangers and as such I'm curious if my fear is sort of laughable... Or not.

Anyway, here's my info:

- I've been taking a daily average dose of 0.5mg for about 6 months.

- After about 4-5 months I tried staying off it, and after the peak at 3 days I noticed some mild withdrawal symptoms, such as numbing in the extremities - and of course heightened anxiety levels.

- Later I was fine for a week, when trying to take 0.25mg every other day. It seemed stable.

- The past few weeks, my intake has become more consistent - using it every day. After this it seemed like my symptoms suddenly spiked and came on much faster.

- The past week my dose increased to 1mg/day - and I've sporadically taken such doses or more before.

My main questions are:

- How concerned should I be about my 6 months with 0.65mg/day of Alprazolam?

- Is this considered a long time and/or a high dose? (I'm thinking physical dependence; receptor changes, etc.)

- How fast would a dose increase get physiologically "ingrained"?

- Isn't it odd that my numbing symptoms are unilateral? (Like with a stroke.)

- Finally; What are your thoughts on the tapering needed? Do I really have to make it a several months long journey with 10% reductions?

Thanks in advance =)

I hope you're doing as well as can be!

Hello sdhield, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’ll attempt to answer some of your questions.  6 months of use is enough for your body to become dependent but your taper length should depend on your symptoms, they can guide you to hopefully keep you functional.

You can taper directly off of the Xanax, may members have but some find it too difficult and make the cross to Valium. 

We don’t advise taking the drug sporadically, keeping blood serum levels constant can lessen symptom whiplash effect.

As for your symptoms changing, become more intense at times, our symptoms wax and wane so we never know how we’re going to feel, sometimes what we do, drink or eat can have an effect, other times its totally random.

I’ll end here but keep talking to us, lets figure this out.

Pamster

Thank you so much Pamster! I just got home to check the forums and your response already made me feel a bit calmer!

I tried making an excel sheet with a graph to plan a tapering regime, but it's not easy dividing the powder. I have a small medicinal bottle with a dropper - perhaps I can make a solution? I gather Xanax isn't soluble in water, but maybe oil or alcohol?

One of my biggest fears is the Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome - I'm hoping it's rare in a case like mine? I think the risk would increase with dose and duration of use, but is there cause to fear "bad luck", like individual differences in susceptibility ?

I don't know what more to ask without being too persistent and should admit I haven't read the stickies yet; in my sudden anxiety-driven rush for information.

But, I will try to update on my progress for the records. =)

Be well!

PS. I found this place after asking ChatGPT to point me to the best source for benzo withdrawal help! .DS

It’s possible you may have slightly kindled yourself by sporadic usage and going down then back up in dose. Not a doctor here so def discuss with yours. But i would first suggest getting stable and on a stable schedule. This may take some time to stabilize but worth it before you begin. Find the consistent dosage you need daily and spread it into 3-4 doses for Xanax since it is such a short half life.

And totally agree with Pamster above. Go by symptoms. It’s better to start slow to see how you react to cuts. If things are good then maybe speed things up then. If you go fast it could hit hard on the w/d and then you just have to hold and wait for symptoms to calm down. 

Protracted recovery happens but we never know who will be stricken with it, most of us recover between 1 and 2 years after cessation but with only 6 months of use, I’m hoping yours will be less.

We can help you plan a titration taper, here are some FAQ’s. Titration FAQ’s

Thanks again folks, I'll try making a new plan! =)

...Pamster; do you mean a 1-2 year recovery time is more of a rule than an exception? Did you mean generally or for those getting the protracted withdrawal?

I thought the ordinary withdrawal time was like a month or a few months usually?

We’re told some people can discontinue these drugs with little to no problem, not us so yes, for us, the average recovery time is between 1-2 years, we consider someone to become protracted once they go past 2 years.  Typically we’ll see those who have been on the drug for 4 months or less recover in weeks and months but there are exceptions to this, it can take longer for some short time users.