Success Stories With Antibiotics

[Hu...]

Hi, I see a lot of fear around here surrounding antibiotics, and I certainly feel that fear myself. Any time I have an illness or problem that might require antibiotics, I get intense anxiety because I've read so many people saying they had issues with them. I also see many users here avoiding them for the same reason.

I also wonder whether many users work themselves into a fear state due to this trepidation around antibiotics. Not that I'm saying that AB setbacks aren't real, I do believe they are, especially with floxies. But what I'm saying is, for ever 10 antibiotic 'setbacks', I'd be willing to bet at least a few aren't true setbacks, but are buddies working themselves into an intense state of anxiety and fear of the antibiotics, combined with the normal reactions that a non-benzo withdrawn person would experience.

So I was just hoping we could have a roll call of people who used antibiotics successfully with no setbacks, to help ease the mind of me and some other buddies.

• Like 1

I would appreciate hearing about this. Because I need dental work and because I have a new heart valve and a pacemaker and my doc says I need to take antibiotics before I have dental work and I'm afraid of my symptoms getting worse so I don't take care of my teeth. Plus since I had these procedures months ago I imagine they gave me antibiotics in the hospital because I now feel so much worse than I did before the surgeries.

So I was just hoping we could have a roll call of people who used antibiotics successfully with no setbacks, to help ease the mind of me and some other buddies.

I recently completed a course of Keflex/cephalexin with no issues.

Just getting over covid and got a bacterial upper respiratory infection at the tail end of it.  Been on a course of amoxicillin for 6 days now without issue.

The really dangerous antibiotics for those who are recovering from benzo/z-drug use are the fluoroquinolones - Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Gatifloxacin, etc. These drugs are known to decrease GABA release and can really throw someone with a damaged GABA system for a loop.

5 days of IV antibiotics last January for a ruptured appendix. No issues. 5 day treatment a few months ago, no issues. Like Nathan said, just stay away from the flours quinolones - both times I said I have a sensitive CNS, and they assured me they wouldn’t use them.

Nathan Arizona and Tinkered:  Thank you for contributing to this thread! 

Tinkered: Was the antibiotic you took a few months ago an oral vs IV antibiotic?  If so, do you recall its name?

HurricaneSeason: Here’s a post from a no-longer-active member who worked in the pharmaceutical industry:

I have taken augmentin (amoxicillin), Z-Pak (azithromycin), and keflex (cephalexin) with no problems during benzo use and taper.

I also recall that one of our admins took azithromycin several times without issues.

Awesome to hear!

Keep them coming people. We so rarely get posts about people having success with antibiotics, but I know plenty exist.

Nathan Arizona and Tinkered:  Thank you for contributing to this thread! 

Tinkered: Was the antibiotic you took a few months ago an oral vs IV antibiotic?  If so, do you recall its name?

It was metronidazole 500 mg tablet twice a day orally. I recall I got more fatigued for a few days, but it wasn't a big deal overall, and it got rid of the infection.

I've taken an antibiotic known as the "Z pack".  It's taken for 5 or 6 days.  I didn't have any issues with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
During my taper I had a z pack during Covid no problems. 7 months after I jumped I had amoxicillin for a respiratory infection and also no problems. A year after I jumped I had doxycycline and also no problems. Then 18 months after I jumped I had augmentin with no problems. I have the Fluoroquinolone antibiotics listed as allergies in my charts so I do not use those.

Thanks so much for this thread/topic. I wish more would respond but I treasure the replies who said they took antibiotics with no issues.

I feel some prickling in my tooth and I might be due for some tooth procedure, I also have 2 impacted wisdoom teeth. I am really scared ever since i felt that ache last night, bad sleep.. I've read the horror stories about numbing agents and antibiotics.

Thank you again for this thread, OP. Thank you for the replies. Very important.

I'll add my voice to this too- I'm on the last day of my course of amox and have had zero problems. Maybe a bit of fatigue. Anxiety was already there anyway before it.

Had c diff for months, took vancomycin and Dificid with no issues.

Took keflex for uti with no issues minus getting the c diff after that. .

I’ve well tolerated z packs since coming off.