Polydrugged - Did not have luxury to taper properly

[Tr...]

Hi. I am from the Philippines. Been diagnosed with depression since 2016? I think. Looking back, I might have just needed hugs, heart to heart talks, therapy. Not the pill.

I have been through the whole list of antidepressants and their brands. My psychiatrist Doc B made me. Nothing really worked but Lexapro was considered the least evil. Did nothing for depression but I did not experience physical side effects like with the others. I was off and on this for a long time, and withdrawals for a different post.

Anyway fast forward to September 2020. I got a telehealth psychiatrist Doc C. I was having a hard time with Covid lockdown, my dad with heart issues getting covid, facing my parents' mortality for the first time, i was unemployed, have this terrible block/anxiety doing my thesis, i have anxiety while driving but I am the only one capable/allowed to drive to get necessities during lockdown.

I was given Alprazolam (Xanor) 500mcg, Lexapro 20mg and Cymbalta 60mg for about 1 year. I was dutifully going for weekly visits even if expensive. I looked back at my journals and saw that I was doing ok during a time. Then about a few months on, I had lots of rage, worsening anxiety and depression.

Doc C made me jump to Bromazepam (Lexotan) 3mg. The new combo is now Bromazepam, Lexapro and Cymbalta  I was on this for 30 months. I was getting worse. Old symptoms intensified. New symptoms I never had before appeared. I was getting random intrusive thoughts of embarrassing moments. I was easily overwhelmed. I did not know night from day anymore. Brain fog. I kept reading 1 sentence and it wont stick in my brain. Memory problems. I felt "slow "

I decided maybe the doctor misdiagnosed. I also hated that I had to go every week for a new prescription, and if I missed a dose, I would feel like i was electrocuted, like insects on my body, and very sensitive. My last consult was Nov 25 2022. On December I scheduled a new doctor with lots of high reviews from online. The appointment was on April 2023. I said I'll just grit thru withdrawals. I thought it was just like antidepressant withdrawals I had in the past (brain zaps, depression). I finished the leftover medicines in some unscientific "taper". Cut pills, taking every other day, etc. No logic, no research.

January 2023 i thought I got Covid. But no. I was crawling on the floor in pain due to GI issues. I was sensitive to everything. Pain all over. I was filled with rage. Brain zaps. I thought maybe antidepressant withdrawal. I went back to Doc B. She knew i was missing doses but she did not say anything about withdrawals. I just asked for Lexapro.

I kept taking the Lexapro, thought it worked. But not really. Awful symptoms kept coming in huge waves.

April 2023 I consulted with Doc D. At this time, I was sure I was not taking anything else. My memory is blank now and I wish i kept records of how i tapered. I am not sure if I was still taking benzos during February and march. I am super sure no Benzos on April.

Doc D did not address the withdrawals. She wanted to diagnose me with something else. She did comment that my last prescription was kinda weird. She gave me Mirtazapine 7.5mg. I took it for a month and it was HORRIBLE. Overeating, restless but groggy and tranquilized, angry. Next consult, she took me off Mirta and put on Abilify. I was on it for 3 days only because I felt the compulsion to move all the time quite disturbing.

May was a month of (a bit restless but productive) calm. May 28, something stressful happened. My anxiety went 0 to 100, I was raging. Then the intense GI issues. Then I felt like something wanting to come off my skin and my brain. Like I was pulled in different directions. At 2AM what seemed like panic woke me up. For 9 hours straight I felt like I was on a roller coaster. The feeling when you fall on a roller coaster? Yeah. But for 9 hours. I couldn't sleep for many days. I researched and found it matched mental/physical akathisia. I posted my story and someone commented "looks like benzo withdrawal."

BENZO WITHDRAWAL. It was a nightmare rabbit hole. My doctor never said anything to me, never even warned about alcohol. I asked fellow Filipinos on reddit who mentioned that they took the same drugs. All of them took benzos FOR ONLY A COUPLE OF WEEKS. And their doctors made sure to taper them off. I was distraught. Even the manufacturer said only take for a couple of weeks. I was on it for 3 years daily. Like, I was legally made to be a benzo addict.

So that's my story why I couldn't do a proper taper. I basically ran away from Doc B due to loss of trust. I was uninformed. I thought I could just quit willy-nilly.  Worse, I dropped Benzo along with 2 strong antidepressants. I don't think our country has benzo wise doctors to help me. I am so scared. People advise me to hold on as going back will just cause kindling.

TLDR. 3 years benzo use with antidepressants.  I am for sure 2 months zero benzos. 1 or 3 to 4 months may be "tapering" or not. My memory is hazy.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yikes, you've been through so much with doctors and meds. Are you still having intense benzo withdrawal?  I wish you all the luck in the world.

When I started benzos, I knew they were addictive, but I figured it would just take a couple of months to get off them and that would be that.

I was SO wrong. I had no idea. :o

Welcome! :balloon: I'm glad you came here and hope you find the support and help you need. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yikes, you've been through so much with doctors and meds. Are you still having intense benzo withdrawal?  I wish you all the luck in the world.

When I started benzos, I knew they were addictive, but I figured it would just take a couple of months to get off them and that would be that.

Welcome! :balloon: I'm glad you came here and hope you find the support and help you need. :)

Thank you so much for welcoming me and hearing me out. I was in the thick of it for a week. I was able to sleep for 2 nights straight. But now that I am fine, I worry and fear when it will be back. It's such a cruel thing, having a peaceful okay day suddenly be snatched away from you and there is no set deadline for relief.

I have to work on that. Sieze the day, especially during windows. I pray we all heal as soon as possible with the most minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you so much for welcoming me and hearing me out. I was in the thick of it for a week. I was able to sleep for 2 nights straight. But now that I am fine, I worry and fear when it will be back. It's such a cruel thing, having a peaceful okay day suddenly be snatched away from you and there is no set deadline for relief.

I have to work on that. Sieze the day, especially during windows. I pray we all heal as soon as possible with the most minimal withdrawal symptoms.

Wow, I'm so glad you are fine right now and even had 2 nights of sleep.  That's a big thing.  Possibly, you could be one of the lucky ones, and maybe you'll be okay now (I hope!) and not go through more withdrawal.  I understand your fear.  It's a real thing.  You take care. :)