How Do I Substitute Klonopin from Ativan?

[Ja...]

I currently take Ativan 2 times a day, .25mg each time. I want to switch to Klonopin once a day and then taper off that. How would I" go about  doing that?

Hi there!

In effect, you're taking 0.5mg of Ativan (Lorazepam) daily, which is very approximately equivalent to 0.25 mg/day of Klonopin (Clonazepam). Please be aware, however, that this potency equivalence is approximate and opinions vary to some degree.

Although Klonopin does have a longer half-life than Ativan, I would still suggest that you take 2 separate (0.125 mg each) doses, just like you do currently with Ativan. Klonopin can be had in 0.25 mg and 0.125 mg pills.

Hope this helps.

I’d stick with the 2 doses for now as Gringo09 suggested but maybe you could substitute one dose of Clonazepam for a couple of days to see how you’re going to react.  Have you used Clonazepam before, you may notice it affects you differently than Ativan.

Thank you for your replies. I have taken Klonopin before. I am a Very Very sensitive person. So what I am asking is, HOW do I cross over? I looked at Ashton's advice and it seems I should start the klonopin and then slowly come off the Ativan. Is that correct? Can anyone give me a possible schedule of how I would do that? Since I am sensitive slower is better for me. Thank you!

Ashtons schedule is made for a crossover to Valium which involves more time because Valium builds up so slowly, you don’t want to be left in a deficit.  However, Klonopin’s half life is shorter than Valiums but not as short as Ativan, this is why I suggested crossing only one of your doses over to Ativan at the beginning.  You could wait a week in between changing over dose 1 if you want to give it extra time.

Ok great, so you are saying to just substitute one dose for now and see how I do? I anticipate issues, just being how sensitive I am. So what would be a slower alternative? Sustituting half a dose? And thank you for help, I am really lost on what to do so any help is appreciated!

Yes, for the first dose, you can try .125 but I really think you’re going to be fine, Clonazepam will cover you much better than Ativan and the fact you’re taken it before is a plus.  What’s not good is anticipating trouble because the worry of it will guarantee it finds you.