Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Jenna - On and off Zopiclone 3 years

[Pr...]

Hi there,

I have been taking zopiclone on and off for 3 years, taking it occasionally with no dependency. I only took 30 zopiclone in total for the last 3 years.

In the last two months I took zopiclone on and off for a period of 3 weeks with benadryl. I stopped sleeping meds for 3 weeks. Then last week I was taking 2.50mg zopiclone a few times in a week interspersed with benadryl.

Then suddenly after a night of benadryl I stopped sleeping for a few days. I took another 2.50mg zopiclone and slept 4 hours and then had intense back spasms. I have been CT off bendryl for almost 1 week and zopiclone for 3 days. I have had very little sleep in the last few days. Only getting a couple hours the last two nights. Feeling strange burning skin and back spasms. Very weird sensations all throughout body. The insomnia is the worst symptom. I don't know how to sleep much longer than a couple hours and I seem to feel restless all night long and sit on computer researching and dealing with strange symptoms and burning.

I'm very reluctant to get back on zopiclone to taper and also wondering if I should taper the benadryl too. But this insomnia is so extreme and withdrawal symptoms are very debilitating. Feel very stuck on next move if I should wait out or reinstate either med.

Hello PrincessGoose :hug: Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We are glad to welcome you to our community.  We have a number of members who are here for support regarding Z-drugs so you are not alone.  I am not that familiar with Z-drugs, I do know they can be a nasty drug. Sporadic use over 3 years could lead to a dependency.  Although they are different to  benzo's, they need tapering the same way.  Insomnia after these sorts of meds does seem to worsen what we were trying to fix in the beginning.  You may want to consider a taper over stopping suddenly.    If your finding withdrawal symptoms intolerable I would reinstate and slow taper. If you choose to tough it out these symptoms will improve over time.    If you post to members on the Z drug support thread I am sure you will get plenty of help and support. 

This link will lead you to the Z-drug support board:

Z-drug Withdrawal Support Group

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

This link to the insomnia board might be helpful also:

Insomnia

You can start a topic and ask questions about your other medication

Other Medications     

If you would please add a signature with your history of meds/doses etc. so that we can reply to your posts with more relevant advice . To do this  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hello PrincessGoose. Can you see any patterns to the insomnia? For example, do you fall asleep but wake up at certain times?