Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Greetings

[Ca...]

I started seeing a new psych doc about 5 months ago.  She is only 28 or 29.  She seems to be very anti-benzo and wants me completely off of my Klonopin.  I was taking 4mg per day when I met her and she has cut me down to 3mg per day.  She then tried to go to 2mg but it was too difficult for me so She put me back on 3mg, and that is where I am today.  She keeps mentioning to me that I need to begin tapering off of my Klonopin but I really do not know how to, and I am scared to.  My psych doc just switched me from Lexapro to Zoloft as I had seen a lot of info recommending Zoloft for panic.  I have been on 4mg of Klonopin since 2005 and it has caused me no harm.  I really do not understand the urgency to get off of this medication as I have Panic Disorder.  I feel like it is the same as telling a diabetic to stop taking his/her insulin.  So what should I do?  I could try to find another doctor to help me.  I need somw suggestions please.  Thank you!

Hello Carelessone - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry your new psych doc is pressuring you so much.  I hope you will try to find a prescribing doctor who will work with you collaboratively.  Our mission at BenzoBuddies is to provide information and support to help people get off of benzos so we can help you plan a careful taper if that is the way you decide to go.

We invite you to explore the site and feel free to post with any questions you may have.

Please reach out and let us know how we can help you.

Below are a few links you may want to tart with.

We're glad you found us-

Brighterday

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

I just recently (4 days ago) started Zoloft because I have read that it really helps with panic.  Does anyone have any experience with this medication?  Does it help?  Next week I will go to 200mg.  That is the maximum amount.  Thank you.