Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Introduction to this forum

[Ka...]

Greetings, Joining to gain knowledge and support

Klonopin/clonazapam 0.50 for 4 years, started tapering over 2 years but failing and need support and guidance

Hello Kamaboko2, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You’ve been tapering for 2 years, how much have you been able to reduce?  We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate to keep functional.

What symptoms are you dealing with, is that what has caused you problems? 

We’ll be happy to offer suggestions and support you as you continue your taper, we know how difficult it is.  I’ll provide some links to help you find your way around the forum but we’re glad you’re here.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

Greetings Pamster, and thank you for your reply

My journey started around Aug. 2018 actually.  Mainly, with anxiety.  Psych Dr. put tried escitalopram + mirtazapine for starters, but couldn't tolerate the combo, too activated and couldn't sleep with the first and the mirtazapine made me too groggy to function during the day.  Nortriptoline was tried, but hangover effect next day as well. 

2/2019 Then started Buspar initially 5mg x 3/day and Xanax 0.25 as needed.

3/2019 Increased Buspar to 7.5 to 10mg, 3x+ Xanax as needed

5/2019 Increased Buspar to 15mg 2xday + Xanax as needed

7/2019 Increased Buspar to 15 x 3 day +Xanax as needed 1-2 day+ added propanalol

8/2019 Propanalol discontiuned as gave nightmares, sleep difficulties

8/2019 Switched out Buspar after fast taper and started Clonanazapam 0.5 , 1-2 times daily,as needed

11/2019 increased Clonazpam to 2 times daily

11/2019 added Gabapentin 100 x3 times daily

2/2020 increased Gabapentin to 200 x 3 times daily

5/2020 Tried adding Pretiq, but failed due to side effects

6/2020 re-tried Mirtazapine, failed due to side effects not tolerable

10/2020 Re-started Buspar 5mg 2x daily

12/2020 Increased Buspar 10mg 2x daily

2/2021 Increased Buspar to 15mg 2 x daily, still on Clonazapam 0.50 as needed

12/2021 Added villazadone/Vibryd 10mg daily, still on Buspar 15mg x 3 daily, Clonazapam 0.50 as needed, after 3 wks off villazadone due to side effects- runs & vivid dreams

3/2022 retry villazadone = failed, still on 0.50 Clonazapam as needed

tried tapering around 4/2021= 1/4 to 1/2 of 0.5= .125 to .25 clonazapam as needed, usually 2x day

5/2021- .125 to .25 per day as needed, usually 2 tp 3 times per month to lower anxiety

11/2021- tried no meds for 4 weeks after tapering and discontining Gabapentin & Buspar, finding .125 in AM as started consisitent morning anxiety too high to deal with

12/2021 restarted Buspar, and continuing .125 of clonazapam daily

2/2022 .125 to .25 in AM as needed, maybe 10 times a month

3/2022 tried again to go off all meds, for only 2 weeks, restarting Bupar again afterwards

4/2022to 8/2022 no clonazpam, but anxiety increasing in Aug to unbearable levels

9/2022 restarted .125 to .25 clonazapam as needed

10/2022 stopped taking clonazapam, but high anxiety

11/2022 to 1/2023 no clonazapam

2/2023 0.125 to .25 clonazapam a needed, used on 4 times in the month

3/2023 0.125 to .25 clonazapam as needed, used  8 times in the month

4/2023 no clonazapam, started taking L-theanine daily to 2 times a day

Problems facing:  extreme anxiety, ruminating thoughts, loss of mental capacity, tingling & numbness in hands, sleep disturbances, nightmares, etc. , depression taking hold, tried breathwork & meditating without much success to reduce anxiety.  Buspar is not effective in reduction of anxiety and elimination of panic attacks.  Tried unsuccessfully to taper and terminate use of clonazapam.  The dosage of 0.125 to .25mg is not sufficient enough to get rid of the anxiety and only temp relief. 

I appreciate the reply with links and I will look into it further.

Looking for support & guidance.

thanks,

You’ve kept amazing records, thanks so much for letting us see what’s been happening.  One thing that sticks out to me is the “as needed” aspect of your use, this can create instability so its best to get on a steady dose, taken at the same time every day.  Once stable, then its time to think about a taper. 

Your body has been through a lot in the last few years, the medications, the stopping and starting is rough on your brain, it needs consistency and it hasn’t had that for awhile. 

If you were to choose a dose you might be stable on, what would it be? 

Hi Pamster,

if i could select a dose, it would be .125 or 1/4 of a 0.50 pill twice a day for a total of 0.25mg a day. I was able to taper to this level from 0.5 x twice a day or 1.0mg a day for several months before. I recall being able to function better than I'm doing now.  The trouble started when I gave up and moved from only .125 twice a day and tried to quit and other meds did nothing to reduce the anxiety.  Then taking as needed did not resolve the issues. Going cold turkey is no fun at all.  Not sure on how to go back and try to stabilize, then restart the tapering as its difficult to accurately cut the pills to a smaller dose.  Not sure if my doc would be open to switching to another benzo, but never asked.  Would it be advisable to grind a pill or dosage and suspend in a liquid form to get accurate measurement results?  And what would be a good liquid to use wisely.  Reply & advise.

thanks,

It’s great you know the dose you felt more stable on, I believe it would be a good idea to get back on that and give your body some time to stabilize. 

Clonazepam has a decent half life so I don’t feel you need to cross to another benzo, that can be challenging and it will add more time to the process as it needs to happen in stages.  You can use any method you need to in order to get your doses smaller, here is some information. Titration FAQ’s