Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Quitting Ativan

[Pe...]

Hello everyone,

I am still at the start of my tapering journey. For the last year and a half or so, I have had increasingly debilitating symptoms, some of the worst of which are constant dp/dr and a recent diagnosis of gastroparesis. I have only recently come to the conclusion that these and a host of other symptoms are likely due to my daily ativan intake.

I am not sure when I began taking benzos daily, but I was prescribed them for the first time when I was around the age of 18 or so. I had taken Xanax and klonopin infrequently during these early years and stopped without issue.

I am now 28. Perhaps around 6 years ago, I switched to ativan. I believe I have been taking at least 1mg of ativan daily to sleep for the last 3 years, but it may be closer to 4. My memory is very hazy.

I am certain that I have been taking 1-3mg a day for the last year. During this past year, I also felt the need to begin taking some during the day as well.

After figuring out that benzos were the likely root of my mounting health issues a couple of months ago, I have cut back and maintained a dose of 1.25-1.5mg per day.

As of this week, I have begun to cross taper over to Valium with the intention of gradually tapering off with a schedule based on the Ashton manual. It has been about 4 days since I started substituting some of my dosage with Valium, and I am feeling frightened but also hopeful for the future.

I do hope that I won’t run into too much torment, given how long I have been on and off benzos. I am hoping that my brain is still young enough to heal, and that my body will adjust to the taper in time. My psychiatrist seems to want to push me off too quickly, so I will have to convince and contend with him as well. I am currently aiming to take my last dose in about 6 months from now, but I am also prepared to pace myself and proceed more gradually, if need be.

The last thing I want to do is cause more damage by rushing through my taper. Maintaining my current dose has been uncomfortable in and of itself, so I’m doing my best to steel myself for what I’m sure will be an even tougher road ahead.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this!

Hello PepinPrevails :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

We are glad you found us, you’ve joined a great community.  You came to the right conclusions about symptoms. Your doing a good job of tapering, well done you. Slow is best with these drugs.  I was 26 years on benzos, I recovered and so will you.  This forum  is a great place for advice and support.  Check out the resources, post questions. You will get plenty of support and lots of encouragement to help you through this process.

It’s generally suggested to taper between 5/10% every 10/14 days.  This is too fast for many at the lower doses, taper at a rate that’s comfortable. Check out the taper plans board, and post to learn more about tapering.

I am pleased you found the Ashton Manual, It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as withdrawal information, Chapter III helped me, reading about the possible withdrawal symptoms with explanations symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support

If you please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita