Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hello global benzo family

[Ro...]

Preparing for slow taper after 19 years Xanax, with approximately ten years at current dosage of 4mg daily. It will take time (I learned that the difficult way), but hoping to avoid a destabilizing taper and protracted withdrawal. A reasonable manageable transition— I can handle. Hoping for best, preparing for worst. All that’s certain is that the people affected by this are absolutely the best and only possible experts. So I’m here.

Hello roSe2468  :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

I’m glad you are here with us, you have joined a great community.  We know how tough this process is for you and we will do our best to support and encourage you through it.  Accepting  that it will take a time is key, stay as positive as you can .  You will get some symptoms  , remind yourself they are temporary It will get better.  Post any questions you might have, our members are caring and knowledgeable. You can do this!  I promise you, you have a great attitude.

Slow is the best way to go, It can take a while so be patient.  The suggested taper rate is 5/10% every 10/14 days.  You can go slower,  taper at a rate that feels comfortable.  You can learn more about tapering on our taper plans board.

I suggest you check out the Ashton Manual, you will find It a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  It was reassuring for me reading the list of possible temporary withdrawal symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support l

You might like to post here:

Xanax Club

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I’m grateful to have found this resource, and appreciate everyone who sacrifices their time and energy to help others here in such a thoughtful, comprehensive way. I am quite impressed with the thoroughness.

I will post more once I’ve updated my profile to include my “signature”, and meanwhile I’ve checked out the links provided, and look forward to familiarizing myself with the forum in general.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Yes, slow slow slow. I am one of the lucky ones in the sense that I am going into it with vastly more knowledge than I previously had, and no external factors to limit my tapering journey in unhealthful ways. (For example, an uninformed medical professional insisting on a rapid taper, with no knowledge of the side effects.) My doctor respects that the lived experience of patients is valuable and should be taken into account. This is self-guided, to go at my own pace, and I know now exactly where to get accurate information and support.

I haven’t yet decided precisely what my slow tapering approach will be, as I have the privilege of time to properly research it, and I learn more every day. My inclination is something simple, probably avoiding switching to valium though I haven’t ruled it out. I think that for me, even though I’m on a strong benzo with a short half-life, it is still best for me to simply and slowly taper from what I’ve already been taking. (Based on personal experience and some knowledge)

Hopefully my initial plan is the right one for me, but I am prepared to be flexible and realistic.

Much thanks to everyone here. My outlook is positive. 😊

Yes roSe2468 research all you can before you start, you seem to know exactly what you are up against.  I agree with you on not crossing over, taper the Xanax.  We've had many successful dry tapers from Xanax.  I wish I'd had more knowledge about benzodiazepines beforehand... but I made it..I did the best I could, so glad I did it. 

My doctor respects that the lived experience of patients is valuable and should be taken into account
I like your doctor I think  he knows what he's talking about.

Good Luck, hope to see you around the boards.

Magrita :smitten:

Proud of you for showing up to the withdrawl fight! I let me know if you need help making a step down schedule to present to your doctor. But general idea is to keep the step down under 10% of the most recent dose