Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Withdrawal Support

[mf...]

Hello,

I have been taking .50 Alprazolam for roughly 1 year on and off - I went off in November of 2022 and went back on in January since I now have Tinnitus in my ears.  In January I picked up my RX - It was from a different maker - It may sound weird, but I feel totally different on this new pill - I want to get off, I am currently only taking .50 at night for sleep.  I feel awful - I need help weaning down and my Dr. just retired, have no help.  I was on Celexa once and went off and it was terrible - I am also afraid this med caused my Tinnitus ... not sure

Hello mf101704, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Many of our members can tell the difference between different manufacturers of these drugs, so I’m not surprised you feel it.  Tinnitus can be caused by benzo’s and withdrawing from them, I experienced it but it went away when I recovered.

We can help you, we suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or allowing your symptoms to guide you, this can hopefully keep you functional.

Since you doctor retired, will you have enough Alprazolam to do a slow taper, if not, it might be a good idea to find a new doctor although it can be difficult finding one to prescribe benzodiazepines these days.

I’ll provide some links for you to check out but let us know what you need.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list