Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Self weaning off long use of 5mg diazepam

[Jo...]

Hi I'm Jon,  I am self weaning off 5 mg diazepam tablets that frankly I have only been using 2.5 mg for about a year and now I have cut that in half. The purpose for my use of the diazepam was to cover withdrawal feelings that I would get from taking the medication called triazolam .025mg, which is a generic for Halcyon. I still use this for sleep . I remember years ago I was discussing this with a doctor and he said that diazepam is a slow acting medication versus triazolam fast acting, fast going away medication. I tried the approach and it covered the symptoms of the withdrawal from the sleeping medication that I experienced during the day . I've cut the diazepam 2.5 which is half a pill in quarters and now I am taking a quarter of a pill for the past month . Some challenging feelings . Always have trouble sleeping . Running out and do not want to refill .

Hello Jon White, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Even though your dose is low, it sounds like your body is dependent on the diazepam, I”m sorry you’ve been experiencing symptoms and especially sorry you’re not sleeping, that’s pretty standard around here.  Are you sure you don’t want to refill your prescription, it may help minimize symptoms if you taper a little lower.

I’ll provide some links to help you get started on the forum but let’s keep talking so we can figure out how to help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list