Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

8 years on Lorazepam

[Jo...]

Hello, I’ve been on 0.5mg of lorazepam to some degree for 8 years. Only once a day and typically every other night. I’ve just recently come into hard times with what I suspect are tolerance withdrawals. Looking for information and support.

Hello JoJo007!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you found us!  It's very possible you're experiencing tolerance withdrawal. I'm sorry you're dealing with difficult symptoms. Unfortunately, this iss very common with benzos.  I applaud you for recognizing this as a strong possibility.  You will find plenty of good information here and support from a caring community of others who understand what this experience and process is like. 

Please explore the site and let us know how we can help you. You're free to post with your questions.  You may want to start with the following links.  The important thing is that you reach out for support.  It's what we're here for.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

We're glad you're here!

Brighterday

• 4 weeks later...

Hello JoJo007!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you found us!  It's very possible you're experiencing tolerance withdrawal. I'm sorry you're dealing with difficult symptoms. Unfortunately, this iss very common with benzos.  I applaud you for recognizing this as a strong possibility.  You will find plenty of good information here and support from a caring community of others who understand what this experience and process is like. 

Please explore the site and let us know how we can help you. You're free to post with your questions.  You may want to start with the following links.  The important thing is that you reach out for support.  It's what we're here for.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

We're glad you're here!

Brighterday

This is all horribly terrifying! 15-20% of ppl never recover?!

I have probably been kindled 2-3 times before I even knew what that was. Stopping because of pregnancy, etc. and I’ve probably been on these for 10 years. Prior to that it was once a week to catch up on sleep.

I am so sick. I can’t afford to get much sicker.

If I start micro-tapering by pulling 0.5mls of water on day one and 1ml on day two, 1.5ml on day 3. How long before I see an uptick in more wd symptoms??

I think if i were functioning, I’d believe I had a shot at this. In my mind- where I was 3 weeks ago is the worst it gets. I cannot get worse than this. I won’t do this to my family.

I have probably been kindled 2-3 times before I even knew what that was. Stopping because of pregnancy, etc. and I’ve probably been on these for 10 years. Prior to that it was once a week to catch up on sleep.

If I start micro-tapering by pulling 0.5mls of water on day one and 1ml on day two, 1.5ml on day 3. How long before I see an uptick in more wd symptoms??

I think if i were functioning, I’d believe I had a shot at this. In my mind- where I was 3 weeks ago is the worst it gets. I cannot get worse than this. I won’t do this to my family.

Please provide documentation for this claim, I’ve never heard this before.

Please provide documentation for this claim, I’ve never heard this before.

Decision-Making for Deprescribing

● Indications: Adverse effects limiting function, loss of efficacy, tolerance, use >1 month,8 patient requests taper.

● Deprescribing decisions should be collaborative between patient and prescriber. Forced tapers are not recommended (except in the case of significant respiratory compromise).

● Provide informed consent regarding discontinuation (risks, benefits, alternatives).21

Risks: between 15-44% of chronic BZRA users experience moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms upon discontinuation.22 An estimated 10-15% experience a protracted syndrome lasting months to years, possibly indefinite.23 This may occur even with a gradual taper. Severe outcomes include suicidality,24 akathisia, and disability.

Benefits: reduced anxiety;12 improved psychomotor and cognitive function;25 reduced mortality (all-cause26,27 and overdose28); fewer motor vehicle accidents,29-31 falls,32 and drug interactions. Some individuals on chronic BZRA develop symptoms that lack an alternative neurophysiologic explanation;33 these symptoms may….

It’s right in the Colorado link you posted above.

I see  “An estimated 10-15% experience a protracted syndrome lasting months to years, possibly indefinite.” and of course possibly indefinite is scary but it doesn’t come right out and say, we don’t heal.

My point in challenging your statement isn’t to cause you distress, its to challenge your thinking right now.  The drug has us thinking negatively and catastrophically but once we recognize our thinking is being manipulated by the drug, we can actively push back against it, not let it lead us down this path of fatalistic thinking.

I know from my own experience how scary this is and how helpless we feel but we have some power and its important to take it back.