Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

benzo free for 3 weeks

[La...]

Hi, 41 M, took benzos for 15 years, quit 3 weeks ago after a 7 months taper-off.

I was first on clonazepam for 4 years, I don't remember exactly the dose but I think it was around 2mg, then I was on lorazepam for 10 years. Those last years I was usually on a low dose, around 0.5mg, but for 6 months before starting the taper I was on 2 mg, so 2mg was the starting point for the reduction.

The 7 months taper-off was not so hard compared to many stories I read here, I had mild wd symptoms but nothing serious.

I have been also on antidepressants for 15 years, citalopram since 2008 and then effexor since last year.

So currently I have been benzo free for 3 weeks, the jump-off did not bring any wd symptoms, I only had for 2 weeks a few symptoms I had already had during the taper-off, but slighter : forehead spasms, palpitations and apathy.

The reason why I quit benzos is that those last years I would have very often a big and very distressing fatigue.

The other reason is that I've had erectile dysfunction since 2015. My story is a little bit complicated : I am a rare case of a man whose sexual function is increased by antidepressants. It was a side effect of citalopram when I started it in 2008, improved erection and higher libido. It is not a common effect but some men have it, you can find a few articles about it on pubmed. So I was very performing while on citalopram+benzo for several years, and the problem started when I lowered citalopram abruptly, from 60 to 20 mg. Big mistake. The reduction gave me erectile dysfunction and genital hypersensitivity, which are both symptoms of antidepressant discontinuation syndrom. 2 years later I went back to 60mg of citalopram, my genital hypersensitivity was cured in a few weeks but the ed was still the same, or maybe slightly improved. 2 years ago I started to taper citalopram because I wanted to try another antidepressant, so once  I reached a low dose I started effexor xr. Effexor did bring an improvement in my sexual function, but still not enough. Last year I suspected lorazepam to be a part of my ed, so I started to taper it.

So my situation today : quit lorazepam 3 weeks ago, no withdrawal symptoms for now, on effexor 112.5mg, waiting for my sexual function to improve. I plan to ask my doctor to increase effexo to 150mg in september.

Hi Lanfeust :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am glad you are here, congratulations at 3 weeks off.    Please feel free to post questions to any of the dedicated boards.  We have a wonderful community of people here, who will offer support and advice.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I will put a link to the Ashton manual here for you: Professor Ashtons Manual

Here is link to the support board

Post withdrawal recovery support board

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thanks for your congratulations !

Actually I think I had withdrawal symptoms after the jump. At first the symptoms made me believe I had covid or another infection, but after reading some stories I now think it was more likely wd.

It started 10 days after the jump and lasted a little more than one week, I had big fatigue, mild headaches and mild stomach problems (gas and rumbling). Probably a slight benzobelly.

I feel much better these last 5 days, I only have slight forehead spasms as a wd symptom.

My symptoms lasted only 10 days, it is a short duration, I guess it is a good sign, what do you think of it ?

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update at 6 weeks off :

I feel good. After the bad wave of July my symptoms went milder, mild fatigue, slight palpitations. The gastrointestinal problems disappeared.

I've been symptoms free for 4 days now, except for exercise intolerance which is still there but slighter than during the 6 months of tapper off. I will try again to work out in september.

No problem for sleeping.

I hope it goes on this way.

I have intense dreams almost every night, is it a good sign ?

I found the intense dreams to be a good sign, they were actually horrific nightmares but they occurred when I stopped the Ambien and recovery happened soon thereafter.

I found the intense dreams to be a good sign, they were actually horrific nightmares but they occurred when I stopped the Ambien and recovery happened soon thereafter.

Thanks for your response.

• 3 weeks later...

I am at 9 weeks off today.

Those last 3 weeks I had a few mild symptoms : fatigue, apathy, headaches. I had also a little bit of dizziness, derealisation, irritation.

Derealisation is the only new symptom. Palpitations and forehead spasms have disappeared.

August was easier than July, so it seems that my post-withdrawal is happening very well, and quickly.

• 8 months later...

10 months off update :

I feel good. I can live without benzos easily, I sleep well and I don't have more anxiety than pre-benzo. All my post-wd symptoms have disappeard except exercise intolerance. Even 10 push-up give me a headache and big fatigue the day after. This is annoying but, well, I can live without making sport so... I don't complain. I just hope It will get better in a few months.

This is such great news, hopefully your exercise intolerance will fade away but you sound really good!