Muscle and exercise curiosity

[Ze...]

Today I went to a pretty extreme ropes course. It was like 60-70 ft in the air winds were about 20 mph. For 2 1/2 hours I climbed/hung/crouched/jumped and held my whole body weight with my arms. The course takes about 2.5 hours. I took zero breaks. Month 1-5 there would be no way I could do this due to vertigo, panic, weakness and no energy. 

Right now my muscles in my abdomen, back, arms, shoulders and legs are having spasms and ache. Even through Tylenol. It’s very annoying because I’m pretty damn athletic. I’m already laying in bed watching TV. I have some anxiety and minor dizziness. I was browsing the internet(Dr. google) and came across an article from New York post I wanted to share.

“One theory is that exercise can simply dissipate muscle tension, a symptom of anxiety. Also, "it is believed that vigorous physical activity may release endogenous opioids [narcotic-like substances produced by the body] known to be involved in the reduction of fear," Somer says. In short, experts suspect that exercise affects the brain in much the same way as anti-anxiety drugs like alprazolam (Xanax), lorazepam (Ativan) and diazepam (Valium) do -- by regulating neurotransmitter activity.

I wonder if this is the reason we have such a hard time exercising. Maybe our bodies release neurotransmitters that our body doesn’t yet agree with. Mostly every time I vigoursly try to go into beast mode my body locks up and I get some anxiety. Not really during. But right after the activity. I feel exactly the same if I don’t eat for a while or exercise really hard. I got this the worse right after Covid. I’m sharing this because when I seen this I kinda had a lightbulb go off. Figured I’d share. See how other people are with this and what month y’all are in.

Hi Zesty,

Yes, in the past 3 weeks I’ve started back in the pool.

I was a swimmer from age 5 through college and it comes easy for me. Plus I don’t sweat. Lol!

It had been almost a year since I swam my laps due to this horrific Benzo journey.

I’ve had terrible burning nerve pain for over 8 months and there was no way I could even think about exercising. I was in too much pain.

I am still in a lot of pain but I’m trying to just ease in to the swimming because I know that exercise is good for the CNS.  I’ve only been doing light kicking with the kick board and arm work. My muscles are hardly even there anymore and my skin just sags now. It’s awful. 

So I’m also trying to swim because the cold water feels good on my body. It’s an indoor lap pool and it stays very cold. I breathe hard like panic because my body is so hypersensitive. I used to be able to swim so strong, but now I just look like a minnow.

All that to say, that my body and legs get the shakes while in the pool and after. I get it a lot because of the raging cortisol and adrenaline from the anxiety. It ramps up after I swim.

I think the neurotransmitters go a little bezerk with the stimulation and fuel of anxiety. It’s like my body just freaks out and shakes.  I’m glad I’m under the water so nobody can see my legs shaking.

I just try to push through the fear because at some point I think the nerves will figure all this out and the CNS will get in line. I truly hope so.

My journey has been hell. I’m 8 months off and very few windows if any.

So I’m hoping the swimming will help at some point.

You are very strong!!!

I did really hard working out this entire time with severe body pain following,  not like normal soreness, but it helps with the autonomic stuff and mental part for me,  interesting theory.  I've toned it down lately,  to avoid the severe pain

I'm 8 months off now and my symptoms are still all over the map.

I'm a builder, and I worked physically hard during the first part of my taper.  Carpentry calls for a lot of repititious shoulder and upper arm strength.  After my working day, I would crawl home, curl up in the fetal position, struggle to find my breath, and wait several hours for my muscles to unclench. 

Later, during the bottom end of my taper, I became so weak that exercise wasn't always possible.  But on a good day, I would tackle the chores...woodcutting, gardening.  I would always pay for it next day.  Any muscle groups that I used, would be painful and sore.  Even hand muscles.

Now I'm back at carpentry part time.  I'm hauling heavy tools, up and down scaffolding, etc.  What I'm finding now, as I heal, is that most days, I'm stronger and have more stamina.  And my muscles don't hurt much next day.

What is still happening, is,  that if I really go for it (I love to work) I end up really tight and anxious.... like my body is having a panic attack.  I feel awful when this happens...  but eventually I calm down....  hot water bottle to the stomach helps..  sometimes a hot bath.  I'd say I'm 50 percent better from what I was during and just after my tapers.

I've noticed that my nervous system can go into red alert from hard work, excitement.... mental stress or even happiness.  Like a runaway train with no brakes.  It's getting better....  I've been forced to learn how to calm myself... every day I'm finding the balance.  Fine-tuning self-care.

I think if I'd have tried your rope course, I'd be in serious trouble!!!  Ouch!

But I think movement has saved me through some of my darkest times.

Hang in there....  :smitten: