Are SIBO and Benzo Belly the same thing?

[Bi...]

My acupuncturist thinks I have SIBO.

I haven’t tested for it yet but I have all the symptoms and am responding well to the SIBO low FODMAP diet. I always thought my bloating symptoms were benzo belly and would get better with time. Until last week I was hit with severe abdominal pain for the first time. So bad that I sought medical assistance.

So now I’m wondering if it’s SIBO or Benzo Belly? Or are they both the same thing?

Thanks so much everyone!

I was CONVINCED I had SIBO too. SO much so...that I did two rounds of Xifaxan/Neomycin (I had the constipation type). I got relief after the first round which lasted a grand total of 4 days. Then after the second round...nothing.

I finally conceded to take the breath test and it was overwhelmingly negative. Not even close to the SIBO threshold. I was STUNNED. My symptoms, like yours...are an exact match to SIBO. So....I continue to be baffled.

I've tried a lot to try to fix it...most recently a couple memantine tabs. I do NOT recommend this at all! Sent me back to feeling like acute. Yikes.

I was CONVINCED I had SIBO too. SO much so...that I did two rounds of Xifaxan/Neomycin (I had the constipation type). I got relief after the first round which lasted a grand total of 4 days. Then after the second round...nothing.

I finally conceded to take the breath test and it was overwhelmingly negative. Not even close to the SIBO threshold. I was STUNNED. My symptoms, like yours...are an exact match to SIBO. So....I continue to be baffled.

I've tried a lot to try to fix it...most recently a couple memantine tabs. I do NOT recommend this at all! Sent me back to feeling like acute. Yikes.

The breath test is known for giving false negatives.

Yeah...I know that. It's weird though--some of the things the SIBO experts tell you to avoid--don't flare me up at all. Like artificial sugars? No problem for me at all. Dairy products (I don't have many)-- no issues.

So-- the small intestinal bloating/distension makes me think SIBO--but I can also see where it wouldn't be SIBO either.

I read on here once that one person said w/d causes a lack of muscle tone--which relates to smooth muscle too--which is what your stomach/intestines/colon are.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw you recommended the book "Breath".  I just finished it and am having amazing results just practicing a few of the breathing techniques.

Do you think this booked helped you?

Thank you,

Klonkar