So afraid of tapering

[Ho...]

Hi,

I’m

Petrified to taper down & off these benzos! I’ve been on .5 Xanax for over a year. Psychiatrist just switched me to 1mg of Ativan, as it shows it’s a better drug based on Genomind genetic study.  I’m 4 days into Ativan & feeling anxious as hell. Dr. says I’ll stay on Ativan for awhile, then slowly taper down. So frightened!

Hello, Hopeful28 - Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.

I personally tapered Ativan over a two month period back in Nov/Dec 2020 and the folks on this site were a source of strength for me.  It was a scary time but I worked my way through it and have been benzo free for over 9 months now.  I am so grateful for the resources and to the people on this site.

Please feel free to post to any of the specialized boards, which can all be accessed from the BenzoBuddies Community Forum homepage. Based on the information provided in your introduction, the following links may be a good starting place for you:

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support During Your Taper

When you have a chance, I highly recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, which is an authoritative source on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery, authored by Dr. C. Heather Ashton, who is an expert in the field. It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations on the reasons for their existence.

Again welcome!

JBen021

Hi and welcome to BB. Personally, I would try to go with valium after a crossover if you can tolerate and the doctor is willing to Rx. Ativan, K, and Xanax are the most potent benzos, altho K does have a longer half-life.