Remeron

[ti...]

[a9...]
Maugham1, histamine rebound can happen with some drugs, Zyrtec being a classic. Perhaps the long half life can cause a problem. That said, tapering should help.

djej2010, that sounds so hard! I am so sorry. This sounds like what my withdrawal has been like, except you were more functional I'd say. I've thought a lot about reinstating so that I can function and slowly tapering, but it feels so scary and risky. It sounds like you did the right thing reinstating. I hope you were able to stabilize and are having a better time now. Are you finding this taper to be harder because it's the second time? I've thought a lot about psych drugs through this thing, because I've wanted help for my brain, but nothing I try works the way it should. Serotonin is a stress signal in the brain. I suspect that we are all loaded with it, and giving serotonergic anti-depressants are just adding fuel to the fire. I take tianeptine to try to mop some of this up as well as modulate glutamate, but I am not sure that it's doing a lot. I am getting better, so maybe it is, but it's not like amazing or anything.

I don't know what to make of remeron. I have been on and off of it for months for sleep at tiny doses (anything above 2mg turns me into a zombie). Each time I take it for a bit, I start getting middle of night anxiety. Then, after a few days of stopping, it stops. I thought it was my imagination, but this is the third time. It makes no sense, but I guess it's not for me. I've asked around a bunch of times, but no one seems to relate to this. Too bad since it is a stellar sleep aid. I didn't have any histamine issues, just weird anxiety. Doxylamine started working again after 6 weeks off, so I am super happy about that.

Cyproheptadine is an anti-serotinergic antihistamine that can be useful for high serotonin situations. I take low, low dose Zoloft (1/10th dose to increase neurosteroid production), and take it just in case, though binding studies show minimal binding at this level.

Anyway, I hope people can be kind on this thread. We are all suffering, trying to learn, and trying to help.

Serotonin is not a stress signal. It has complex, not well understood roles, but if anything, it is anti-stress rather than stress.

To begin with:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6881111/

So it's been reported albeit by a more scientific name.  I know the term 'histamine intolerance' is imprecise and jargony, but it describes a general class of related-symptoms that many people in the forum believe they are confronting.  Please give them a little space.  You won't find an article on 'benzo flu' in PNAS either, but it's a legitimate topic for discussion.

Jack37 - please don't make it worse.  A little editing would be appropriate.

I took care of it. This particular member seems to like to interject all over the forum and argue eith everyone. I looked at this person’s posts. It’s just about every post. I am not sure why trolling is allowed here. This is not the chewing the fat session. I come here to help. I think that the accounts of people who come here to argue should be suspended so that those of us who come here to help can do just that. Like I said it makes those of us who are here to help not want to participate anymore.

So it's been reported albeit by a more scientific name.  I know the term 'histamine intolerance' is imprecise and jargony, but it describes a general class of related-symptoms that many people in the forum believe they are confronting.  Please give them a little space.  You won't find an article on 'benzo flu' in PNAS either, but it's a legitimate topic for discussion.

I took care of it. This particular member seems to like to interject all over the forum and argue eith everyone. I looked at this person’s posts. It’s just about every post. I am not sure why trolling is allowed here. This is not the chewing the fat session. I come here to help. I think that the accounts of people who come here to argue should be suspended so that those of us who come here to help can do just that. Like I said it makes those of us who are here to help not want to participate anymore.

This post is directed towards all members (not jack in particular).

The general problem, as I see it, is that far too many members post scary claims without posting a single reference - this leads to needless heated argument. Most (heated) arguments would never occur if the poster referenced a scientific article in the first place. Failing the posting of a scientific article, at least reference a reliable newspaper or solid online resource (not a random blog by someone with no expertise).

The general problem, as I see it, is that far too many members post scary claims without posting a single reference - this leads to needless heated argument. Most (heated) arguments would never occur if the poster referenced a scientific article in the first place. Failing the posting of a scientific article, at least reference a reliable newspaper or solid online resource (not a random blog by someone with no expertise).

Right?! Lol. So we’re the problem and not the fact that YOU allow trolling on your forum. Your whole forum has no basis in science. Remember the general consensus amongst the medical community is that we are all crazy and that our symptoms are psychosomatic. We come here to be accepted not to be told that what we are going through is invalid unless we can back it up with scientific literature. We are not trying to scare people. We are trying to warn people. We have an entire Remeron support group on here where EVERY single member is having histamine issues now but I can’t tell anyone unless I have scientific proof?! I don’t participate one social media for this very reason. This was a support group. Now it’s just benzo reddit.

Things like this, Jack, should be backed up with references:

Remeron causes histamine intolerance. Not while you are taking it of course. It starts when you begin to taper and discontinue the drug. Much like how you don’t have anxiety when taking Xanax but we all know what happens when you discontinue it. Remeron has a similar effect on histamine as benzos have on gaba. It takes a long time for your histamine responses to return to normal. I am not sure that it is permanent but I am sure for some it could be. For most it will be minimal or at worst lessening in intensity over several years until full recovery is achieved.

Members reporting how they feel, or generally known information (such as benzodiazepines being addictive or dependency inducing) are not the same thing as reporting novel information as fact. If you state something 'as fact' instead of utilising the language of opinion, you raise the bar and should supply supporting evidence. You are not comparing like with like.

Right?! Lol. So we’re the problem and not the fact that YOU allow trolling on your forum. Your whole forum has no basis in science. Remember the general consensus amongst the medical community is that we are all crazy and that our symptoms are psychosomatic. We come here to be accepted not to be told that what we are going through is invalid unless we can back it up with scientific literature. We are not trying to scare people. We are trying to warn people. We have an entire Remeron support group on here where EVERY single member is having histamine issues now but I can’t tell anyone unless I have scientific proof?! I don’t participate one social media for this very reason. This was a support group. Now it’s just benzo reddit.

People on the Remeron support group have Remeron withdrawal issues. Not "histamine" issues (whatever those are).

[85...]