• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [Pa...]

• [...]

• [Li...]

While not ideal to have to switch to Klonopin, it's a much better option than doing an emergency taper using leftovers.  How do you feel about it, are they willing to prescribe enough to do a slow taper or are they planning to take you off rapidly?

Yes, you will need to crossover but do not worry.

There is nothing wrong with Klonopin.

I used Klonopin and found it effective, very effective.

Are you getting brand name or a generic?

We can certainly work with Klonopin for your taper.  I have the most experience with Klonopin.  Perhaps God is watching over you.

What advice are they giving you on tapering?

Bob

Way too fast. 3 weeks, but I will try my best to get more without looking like a junkie. She could tell I was uncomfortable. Suggested .25 twice a day.  And then drop to .25 at night. I didn’t agree with her but it has been difficult to find someone to give me anything. Once I pick up my script, we can discuss a plan. At least I bought myself some time.

I recommend two things:

(1) You her taper method a chance.  She may be smarter than we are.  If it fails, we can do our plan and you will have extra benzo for our plans.

(2) Journal your symptoms each day.  Be short but exact.  For example,

Day 1 - took 0.25 in morning, 0.25 at bed, tell of anxiety or pain or whatever, then state clearly if symptoms are tolerable

Day 2 - whatever you did to taper, tell of symptoms, then say if tolerable

keep this going,

If you reach days where you report "symptoms are no longer tolerable", make an appointment and talk to doctor.

If the doctor takes action, great.  If not, we can try out taper plan.

You must remember, all taper plans will have symptoms.  The trick is, can you make the symptoms tolerable to reach zero benzo.

Thank you. I am not comfortable but getting through the day and still get to work. My faith in her is working with me to get off all meds. She agrees I was put on the wrong meds from the beginning. Wish I had find her sooner. First time meeting with her and she didn’t put me on any new medication.

Ok, so I am getting 30 tablets of .5mg of Klonopin. Don’t know if it is generic or not because it won’t be ready until tomorrow.

I am a little bit worried about kindling and taking the whole .5mg. Also, I am not comfortable with her suggestion of a fast taper but I feel she is someone I could work with. Going to take my powder mixture to night that Bob suggested.

Any suggestions on how I should taper the K?  I have a month to find a backup doc but feel this new one may work with me if I am trying to taper.

I'm wondering if you might cut the .5 in half since Ativan is half the strength of Klonopin/Clonazepam and take the .25 in the morning, then maybe cut that other half in half and take it the evening, this might help you get acclimated to it and you may find out you don't need the second dose. 

I'll let Bob help you though, he's much better at this than I am.

Hit a window this morning and was able to think a little bit. Going to just take .5 at night and see how it goes. I can manage through most of the day right now.  I start feeling uncomfortable in the evening around 7pm now.  I will be honest with my symptoms to my doctor. I want to taper and will follow the Ashton Manuel. Just worried going from .75 Ativan to .5 Klonopin is updosing.

Won’t list my symptoms but I am experiencing withdrawal. I pick my script this afternoon.

A window is great, and you're right it helps a think things through a little better.  It is considered an updose, I wonder if you might shave a little speck of it off if you're worried. 

It seems like you new doctor updosed you to get you stable which explains the window.

I expect once you are stable, the doctor would lead you through a taper plan.

I think I am hearing the doctor gave you 0.5mg of Klonopin so you could take 1 per day for 30 days.  Do I have that right? 

What taper plan did the doctor suggest?

Bob, I haven’t started it yet. My prescription won’t be ready until today. I still followed your taper plan with the mixture last night. Her plan is 3 weeks but I will fight to go longer. I would like to have a plan to discuss with her.

Well the crossover has been hell but I was able to sleep about 7 hours last night. Still woke up very anxious but will definitely tell doc about it. Yesterday was pure hell.

So two nights on the .375, what symptoms have you been dealing with and how are they different than what you were feeling with the Ativan?  I hope you don't mind sharing, this helps me help the next person.

I'm happy you got 7 hours of sleep, I'm sure you needed it.

The first night, I only slept 3 hours. Yesterday, it felt like a vice grip around my chest. Sweating but then chills. Very irritable. Right now I still feel like my whole chest is constricting. Lower back ache.

The worst is the uneasiness I feel. This journey is going to be rough but glad I have only been on for less than 3 months

It looks like your body is considering your crossover as a reduction, I'm sorry I wish this could have been more seamless.  I was hoping this would simply be a matter of getting used to the new benzo but it seems to be both.  Are you okay with staying at this dose until you stabilize or do you think you need to go up a bit in dose?

I want to stabilize at this dose. My short term memory has been shot since this benzo adventure. I am 57 and don’t want to risk dementia. If I can get off in 6 months, I will be happy. Rather deal with the pain now. Plus, I quickly went into tolerance with Ativan and worried about it happening again. Rather start taking this head on now.

Just at night. I am able to work at a non-stressful job, so I was able to bear through it yesterday. Went for a walk during my lunch break. I have the weekend off and will try to get in some light exercise.

Taking at night helps me to remember. One day I forgot to bring my Ativan to work and it was a bad day. Resisting a rescue dose during the day may help me through this process.