Crossover advice

[Sh...]

I used to walk at work too, it helped get my mind off my symptoms and get me out of my head, good for you.  Well, you have the option to dose twice a day if things get too rough, I'm sure if you decide to go this route you can make sure you keep your daily dose close by.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [Pa...]

• [...]

• [Li...]

My doc said twice a day if I needed. If I did, I might split the dose. Maybe .5 at night and .25 twelve hours later? I will see how the next few days go. Maybe taking less at night might help over the long run.

Just hit a window except for a major Charlie horse in my left thigh.

I am going to hold for a week. I need to have an educated discussion with my doc. Maybe this should take 6 months? Would like to be shorter but trying to be conservative.

Klonopin is longer acting than Ativan, I wonder if this means it takes longer to build up than Ativan does, wish I knew.  Anyway, this theory might explain why you're feeling better, well except for the charlie horse. In your thigh, I don't think I've ever had one there before, their usually in my calf or toes.

Discussions with your Dr are always good, hopefully she's willing to learn from you.  If you can show her steady progress with a log of your reductions and symptoms then she may be more inclined to let you do this your way.

There are some good tips for prescribers on this website, I don't know if she'd be interested. https://benzoreform.org/

Klonopin is longer acting than Ativan, I wonder if this means it takes longer to build up than Ativan does, wish I knew.

According to StatPearls, clonazepam (Klonopin) has a half life of 30 to 40 hours whereas lorazepam (Ativan) has a half life of 14 hours (other sources peg it at 12).  A rule of thumb is that it takes 5 half-lives for a drug to reach steady state concentration (when the amount of a drug being absorbed is the same amount that’s being cleared from the body).  So it takes 150 - 200 hours to reach steady state with clonazepam compared to 70 hours for lorazepam.

Klonopin is longer acting than Ativan, I wonder if this means it takes longer to build up than Ativan does, wish I knew.

According to StatPearls, clonazepam (Klonopin) has a half life of 30 to 40 hours whereas lorazepam (Ativan) has a half life of 14 hours (other sources peg it at 12).  A rule of thumb is that it takes 5 half-lives for a drug to reach steady state concentration (when the amount of a drug being absorbed is the same amount that’s being cleared from the body).  So it takes 150 - 200 hours to reach steady state with clonazepam compared to 70 hours for lorazepam.

You're a gem Libertas, thank you so much!  I typically think of half life in terms of it leaving the body but it makes sense that it works the same in reverse.

Pam,

Just to keep you updated. Leg spasms, tightness in chest, tight feeling in head and chest. Slept ok, and major anxiety when first waking up. Numbness in feet. Burning in stomach

It sounds like your window slammed shut, I'm so sorry but its typical.  Many members say mornings are the worst for anxiety so you're not alone there. 

I know you said you were going to hold for a week but please listen to your symptoms and reduce again only after you feel stable, you've made a big change by switching your medication so give your body some time to catch up, okay?

Ok, just scared. My short term memory is really bad. I never meant for this to happen. I need my cognitive skills back. This sucks so bad.

I understand, while I was recovering I had to come up with lots of workarounds for my memory and cognitive challenges.  You're going to come through this and return to yourself, this is just a long uncomfortable and scary temporary condition. 

In a bit of a window. Able to go to work. Some digestive issues. I need to get my diet together. I only slept maybe 4 hours last night. I notice I always build a tolerance to benzos fast. Still holding right now. Muscles in legs are still very stiff.

I'm amazed you can call digestive issues, little sleep and stiff muscles a window but we all know how must worse it can be. 

What are you eating, most members say to eat as healthy as possible, I'm glad you were able to go to work.

The crossover was horrendous so I guess anything better than that is a window. 😂

Breakfast, Oatmeal with peanut butter, banana, gluten free protein bar, yogurt

Lunch, turkey sandwich with gluten free bread, pineapple, yogurt, protein bar

Dinner, ground chicken spaghetti with edamame fettuccine

Snacks: cashews and string cheese

Maybe the digestive issues are from the crossover