Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cats Cats Cats!

[De...]

glitter, did your cat get the Convenia antibiotic shot?  I hope it works for her.  I used to feed Lily dry food and keep it out in a bowl all the time and I think it helped to clean her teeth.  I used to feed her both wet and dry food each day.

Gosh, I don't know which antibiotic it was.  I must have left the invoice in Mom's car.  Isn't that the antibiotic that caused your kitty's death?  My kitties eat dry and wet food too. 

I have one cat who is overweight, so I can't free-feed them anymore.  I've always free-fed.  I've never had an overweight cat until now after all these years.  He should weigh 13 lbs but weighs 17 lbs.  He always seems to be hungry, and he's not losing weight.  I might look into a cat food puzzle-toy.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [De...]

• [Gl...]

• [Ga...]

Top Posters In This Topic

With an overweight cat, you need to change its diet.  Convenia was the one-shot antibiotic that killed Lily.  If your cat is eating, pooping, etc. since it got home, then it will be fine.  Lily was extremely ill when I brought her home from the ER vet after getting the Convenia shot.  She puked and then just laid on the floor and wouldn't move and had no appetite from that point on.  No appetite and lethargy are side-effects of the Convenia shot and she had both of those very badly which is why she died.  I couldn't even force feed her wet food; she wouldn't have it.

Glitter, there last time I was at the vets he told me paddy had a little Gingivitis on his gums. 9h 0

Otherwise, he's seems very healthy, etc he's 13#  he was 3# when I got him  he was 12 wks old  :smitten:

Do your cats throw up? I had a lady try and tell me it's "normal" for a cat to throw up all the time but I don't think it is.

I hope your kitty's tooth is ok.

Glitter, there last time I was at the vets he told me paddy had a little Gingivitis on his gums. 9h 0

Otherwise, he's seems very healthy, etc he's 13#  he was 3# when I got him  he was 12 wks old  :smitten:

Do your cats throw up? I had a lady try and tell me it's "normal" for a cat to throw up all the time but I don't think it is.

I hope your kitty's tooth is ok.

Thanks, gardenia,  I'm glad your kitty is healthy.  :smitten:  He sounds like a big kitty too.  I've never had such a big cat, Lol.  Of my three cats, the big one is the only one that throws up, and that's when he eats cat food that's not grain-free.  The other two can eat grains.  I think cats throw up a lot, but maybe it's because of food sensitivities.

Glitter I am so happy your kitty only has gingivitis! My Willie had that too when he was younger, we had him put under and had his teeth cleaned, changed his food and so many years later he has good gums and teeth. 

Willie is hanging in there.  His appetite waned a bit this past weekend, so we gave him another dose of the appetite stimulant and he has gone hog wild again. 

The Spring catalogs have arrived and it's so funny but in two separate catalogs I noticed they were using kitties as part of the layouts.  One was a clothing catalog and the other one was home decor.  Maybe the age of the kitties is emerging LOL!!

Deanna2020, thanks for telling me about Willie.  It's such good and encouraging news.  My kitty is only 5 years old.  I didn't get a chance to ask the vet what caused it.  Do you think it was Willy's food that caused it?  Would you mind letting me know what food you give him now?  I might need to change her food too. 

That's awesome that the appetite stimulant works so well for him.  My other kitty needs an appetite suppressant, Lol. 

Deanna, glad Willie is going hog wild on the food  :D that's a good sign that he's eating  :thumbsup:

Could you tell me what food  to get?

I'm worried about the gingivitis :(

Oh talk about cute......Etsy has some of the cutest cat posters!!

The only time a cat should vomit is when it has a hairball or was outside eating grass.  Any other time, it's not normal, IMO.  Cats shouldn't be vomiting all the time and if they are, they need to get to the vets.

Deanna2020, thanks for telling me about Willie.  It's such good and encouraging news.  My kitty is only 5 years old.  I didn't get a chance to ask the vet what caused it.  Do you think it was Willy's food that caused it?  Would you mind letting me know what food you give him now?  I might need to change her food too. 

That's awesome that the appetite stimulant works so well for him.  My other kitty needs an appetite suppressant, Lol.

Hi Glitter!  I think Willie's gum problems were the result of the wet food we gave him at the time.  He was about the same age as your kitty.  He preferred it over the dry food that we always left out for him so I guess his gums never got cleaned off by eating the dry food.  We now have him on Science Diet I/D for digestive issues (prescription from the vet) because he was vomiting alot.  It cut down on the vomiting a good deal.  He only liked the dry food of that food line, so it keeps his teeth clean. 

But now since he is failing a bit with his other issues I am giving him some tasty natural clean food (expensive!) and he is enjoying it.  We still have to give him the appetite stimulant time to time.  His weight goes up and down :-(

I'm sure you can find a food that will keep your kitty's teeth clean - they make so many types of food for so many issues.  Main thing is to stay away from the cheap processed crap they make and sell in grocery stores.  Might be OK for a while, but I firmly believe you are what you eat.

Good Luck!!! :smitten:

Hi Glitter!  I think Willie's gum problems were the result of the wet food we gave him at the time.  He was about the same age as your kitty.  He preferred it over the dry food that we always left out for him so I guess his gums never got cleaned off by eating the dry food.  We now have him on Science Diet I/D for digestive issues (prescription from the vet) because he was vomiting alot.  It cut down on the vomiting a good deal.  He only liked the dry food of that food line, so it keeps his teeth clean. 

But now since he is failing a bit with his other issues I am giving him some tasty natural clean food (expensive!) and he is enjoying it.  We still have to give him the appetite stimulant time to time.  His weight goes up and down :-(

I'm sure you can find a food that will keep your kitty's teeth clean - they make so many types of food for so many issues.  Main thing is to stay away from the cheap processed crap they make and sell in grocery stores.  Might be OK for a while, but I firmly believe you are what you eat.

Good Luck!!! :smitten:

Thank you, Deanna, I appreciate your answer.  I know some people give their cats only raw meat, and they thrive.  I don't have the energy to do all that. 

Do you brush Willy's teeth?  I just know the vet is going to recommend that.  My cats would shred me alive if I try brushing their teeth.  I'm such a bad cat-mom, lol.  ::) 

I'm sorry you have such issues with Willy's appetite and his weight.  I know that can be frustrating.  🤗

I had one cat who lived to be 23 and Lily lived to be 17 and neither of them ever had problems with their teeth or gums and I fed them store bought cat food their entire lives.  I fed Lily Purina Cat Chow Complete and she loved it and it never messed up her gums or teeth.  I did feed her Fancy Feast wet cat food and she always liked that.

I had one cat who lived to be 23 and Lily lived to be 17 and neither of them ever had problems with their teeth or gums and I fed them store bought cat food their entire lives.  I fed Lily Purina Cat Chow Complete and she loved it and it never messed up her gums or teeth.  I did feed her Fancy Feast wet cat food and she always liked that.

That's awesome, Becks, that your kitties lived so long.  I've never had a cat with tooth/gum issues before either.  The vet says it can be hereditary. 

Yes, I believe it's hereditary.  I think if a cat has grooves in its teeth then the food can get trapped in there and then cause gum disease.  My cats had smooth-surfaced teeth.  Same with humans, too.  My friend Steve never had a cavity in his life and has never lost a tooth and has perfect teeth and he's about 65 now.

Hey Glitter I do NOT brush Willie's teeth.  I mean who does that out in the wild?  I'm a firm believer that nature knows best.

I think they make something that you can put on your finger and then gently rub the cat's teeth with to clean them a bit.  Cat's hate to have anything forced into their mouths like a toothbrush and even worse with toothpaste on it.  I remember reading about a lady who had OCD about cleanliness and used to brush her cat's teeth nearly every day, and she never mentioned that the vet said that her cat had teeth or gum problems.  It was her OCD that made her do it.  I was appalled reading that and considered it animal abuse.  If I had been her nabe, I would have called the cops or animal control about her doing that. 

There is no way I could brush Paddy's teeth, I'd be in shreds.

8ve thought of the raw diet it makes sense but I'm not sure he'd eat it

He loves meow mix and fancy feast gravy lovers.

I know science diet is good, my brother feeds his dog that and she's about 7 now and very healthy.

I'll buy a bag. :thumbsup:

He loves meow mix and fancy feast gravy lovers.

Gardenia, my cats love them to, but they just lick the gravy and leave the rest.  :laugh:

Gardenia, my cats love them to, but they just lick the gravy and leave the rest.  :laugh:

OMG my Willie does the exact same thing! Just licks the gravy and leaves the food.  Very wasteful  :nono:

I think they make something that you can put on your finger and then gently rub the cat's teeth with to clean them a bit.  Cat's hate to have anything forced into their mouths like a toothbrush and even worse with toothpaste on it.  I remember reading about a lady who had OCD about cleanliness and used to brush her cat's teeth nearly every day, and she never mentioned that the vet said that her cat had teeth or gum problems.  It was her OCD that made her do it.  I was appalled reading that and considered it animal abuse.  If I had been her nabe, I would have called the cops or animal control about her doing that.

Gosh, I hope the OCD lady didn't use a human toothbrush and toothpaste.  Human toothpaste could be toxic to cats.

OMG my Willie does the exact same thing! Just licks the gravy and leaves the food.  Very wasteful  :nono:

Cat's are funny and amusing animals.  They always make me laugh.  My cat just like to hear himself meow.  He says a lot about nothing.  I wonder what he's really talking about.

I was very disturbed when that lady on this forum said years ago how she brushes her cat's teeth everyday.  If your cat licks just the gravy from the Fancy Feast maybe you could cut up the pieces in the can and make them smaller and then mix them with the gravy; I used to do that with Lily's food and then she'd eat it.  I started buying Lily pate when she got older and that agreed with her.  When cats' meow it means they want or need something.  That's their way of communicating.  They don't just meow to hear themselves "talk."  A need of theirs is not being met.  I should know since I had a Siamese cat who meowed alot and was very vocal.  She always wanted something when she meowed.  Either she wanted food or wanted to be petted or was in pain. 

Cat's are funny and amusing animals.  They always make me laugh.  My cat just like to hear himself meow.  He says a lot about nothing.  I wonder what he's really talking about.

Some cats are very vocal, some aren't.  Lol

Mine licks up 5he gravy and leaves the title pieces of meat too.  :tickedoff:

When cats' meow it means they want or need something.  That's their way of communicating.  They don't just meow to hear themselves "talk."  A need of theirs is not being met.  I should know since I had a Siamese cat who meowed alot and was very vocal.  She always wanted something when she meowed.  Either she wanted food or wanted to be petted or was in pain.

Well, I know why he's meowing (I was being light-hearted, Lol).  It's because he wants another treat and another treat. :laugh:  He's already overweight, so he can't have all he wants.

Your cat might not be getting the nutrients he needs so he's not sated and wants more treats.  Obesity in a cat can also mean eating an unbalanced diet.

Mine licks up 5he gravy and leaves the title pieces of meat too.  :tickedoff:

That's so funny!  Probably most cats only lick the gravy.  They should put more gravy in them and fewer pieces, Lol.