Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cats Cats Cats!

[De...]

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [De...]

• [Gl...]

• [Ga...]

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Good one Becks!  Love the chief mouser title  :laugh:

Thanks for all your good wishes for Willie.  The vet thinks his years of food sensitivities has led to inflammatory bowel disease.  I guess the heart thing is random bad luck.  I think the worst thing is the cheap food available that people feed their pets.  I'm guily of it in early years.  Just like people food is thy medicine.

Keep the cat love coming!

So the bloodwork came back this week and it turns out that my little guy has 1) a urinary tract infection, 2) the beginnings of kidney failure and 3) some pretty serious heart problems.  The lab values for a marker of heart muscle damage are off the charts.

We are treating the infection and trying to get him to eat a bit more.  I don't know how long we have with him but we are going to love him up and keep him as comfortable as possible  :'(

It's a real bummer as my Willie has been my muse, keeping me sane when I'm at my worst.  Now I have to be there for him.  He's the best cat I've ever had  :smitten:

Deanna, I'm so sorry for Willie and his prognosis.  I just sprinkled Lily's ashes on the creek bank today.  It was heartbreaking, but she's in heaven now and eventually I'll join her there as well when I die.  I can't even breathe tonight I'm so distressed.

UTI's are so painful for cats.  Lily wouldn't eat or poop or drink when she had hers and would pee wherever she was.  She would just sit and stare all the time.  I hope Willie's UTI has cleared up.

Welcome Glitter Girl!

Willie must be responding to the antibiotic. We also have him on an appetite booster, and I bought him some tasty good quality food which he can't get get enough of.  He seems more alert and looks like he's feeling better.  I don't know how long we'll have like this, but I'll take it  :smitten:

GG, what are you cats names?  Deanna are you giving Willie antibiotic pills for his UTI?  Those worked good for Lily years ago when she had her UTI, but the Convenia one-shot antibiotic killed her.

Welcome Glitter Girl!

Willie must be responding to the antibiotic. We also have him on an appetite booster, and I bought him some tasty good quality food which he can't get get enough of.  He seems more alert and looks like he's feeling better.  I don't know how long we'll have like this, but I'll take it  :smitten:

:thumbsup:

GG, what are you cats names?  Deanna are you giving Willie antibiotic pills for his UTI?  Those worked good for Lily years ago when she had her UTI, but the Convenia one-shot antibiotic killed her.

Yes good old amoxicillin seems to be doing the trick.  Because you warned me I wasn't going to accept that shot if offered.

Thank You!

I am a dog lover here so I hope you all don’t run me off. :laugh:

I agree that dogs are so needy.  And at my age maybe more than I can give anymore.  Not to mention the maintenance.  After my two girls go I am definitely leaning towards cats.

I have met so many cats that I could definitely become attached to.  There’s a particular breed that keeps crossing my path lately and somehow I wonder if it was meant to be.

Is it possible for a hardcore forever dog lover to crossover to a cat person?

I do hope you start a buddy blog on this.  It would be nice!

Welcome GP!  We would never run you off as long as you don't hate cats  :smitten:

When you are ready you might just want to visit a fresh batch of kittens that they have at any shelter.  Kittens steal your heart.  I have learned over time that cats do better when two are in the household.  So consider this as when you leave them alone they have each other. 

I saw a TV commercial last night for a Delta faucet (I think) and one of the images was giving the household cat a bath.  I mean really? Cats hate that and never need one, so what were they thinking?  Or was it another cruel joke about cats?

Deanna, that's what I gave Lily two years ago when she had her UTI.  Amoxicillin pills and she recovered very nicely from it then and was eating again in one day.  I'm very glad to hear that you are aware of the dangers of the one-shot long-lasting 14 day Convenia antibiotic.  If a pet ends up with serious side effects it could kill them since you cannot get that antibiotic out of their systems in any way.  You might want to visit Fiona's blog.  It has alot of pics about cats, dogs and other critters who act like humans.  We use initials that stand for the names of the critters.  It's very amusing.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=113238.34630

Glitter Girl I had a cat and dog yrs ago. I like dogs too but just can't do all they like to do.

My tabby cat and 90# german shepherd used to sit side by side waiting for their treats  :smitten:

I miss both of them.

Deanna I sure hope Willie is staying on the mend! 

Gardenia (and y'all), aww, how cute that they sat side by side waiting for treats.  I love when cats and dogs become friends.  I can't do all dogs like to do either, otherwise I'd probably have one.  Kitties are pretty easy except for jealousy and bullying each other, Lol.  My female cat isn't really eating right now, and I have to force-feed her.  I can't get her to the vet for a week.  She's angry at me for forcing her to eat.  I keep praying she'll be okay.  Otherwise, she's still playful and acts normal.  I need to go through this whole kitty thread and catch up.

My cat Lily died last Friday from the side effects of a Convenia antibiotic one-shot injection.  She had a UTI and if I would have given her antibiotic pills instead, she'd still be alive.  Facebook has a page dedicated to all the pet deaths from Convenia.

Becksblue, I'm SO sorry and sad that your kitty died.  I truly feel for you.  I'm so sorry you're going through such a loss.  My 13-year-old kitty died of cancer in 2016, and I'm still not over it.  I hope you're doing okay concerning Lily.  I'll pray for you.

The one vet's office I called told me that if a cat isn't eating on its own for over a day then it needs to get to the vet ASAP and that's something is very wrong.  Glitter don't you have an ER vet clinic in your area you could take her to tomorrow?  I'd call another vet and get her in ASAP.  I knew when Lily had her UTI's because she'd stop eating.

Thanks, Becks, I've read similar things.  I'm very, very distressed about it.  It's that I'm housebound with no transportation, and my mom has gone for the winter until next week.  My kitty is only 5.  I think it's a tooth, and hate that she's in pain.

Don't you have a friend who can drive you to the vets?  I had a friend drive me to take my Lily to the ER vet and even though I'm afraid to drive since I'm housebound too I took her myself to a vet on a sameday appt.  My friend had to come to the vets and drive me home.  I couldn't make it home.  Maybe if it's only a tooth it wouldn't be too bad and you can feed her soft pate wet food.  How does a five year old cat have a tooth problem?  I hope you can get her to the vets somehow.

Hey Glitter I hope your kitty is OK, she is only 5 so hopefully nothing too serious.  Let us know  :smitten:

Willie is amazingly better! Eating heartily, gaining weight (I am giving him those natural food treats which I figured couldn't hurt, but now he is a glutton!!)...and much more interactive.  So I guess it was the UTI that was really getting to him, he's not even throwing up much at all anymore.  I think he will bless us with his presence for as long as be is able  :D  I know he still has other serious problems, but right now you would never know it!

Hope everyone is enjoying some Spring sun and milder weather....