Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cats Cats Cats!

[De...]

Hi All,

I've been on this forum about 6 months now and I have noticed a preponderance of cat photos on the members' avatars...For a while now I have thought that I am a biased observer of cats, and am always on the lookout for cat-shaming since dogs are really the more beloved species. I mean you can't swing a dead you-know-what without hitting a dog lover...but there are so many cat-haters out there that I'm always on the ready to defend our feline love bunnies.

Anyway I started thinking that maybe there is some correlation between the personality of the members on the forum and the love of cats.  Crazy I know.  I need to find better things to do with my time, but what do you think? 

Have you noticed the ratio of cat avatars to dog avatars?  ;)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [De...]

• [Gl...]

• [Ga...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never attempted to figure out if there were more cat avatars over dog but I'm kind of partial to cats myself.  I did see a member compliment another members avatar the other day asking what kind of dog it but it was definitely a cat as was the members username, dog bias for sure.  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Deanna

OmG I recently moved, one of my biggest scariest ordeals, 3 hr drive

Anyways, one of the guys that came w the moving truck LOVED mean cat jokes

That wasn't funny to me  :tickedoff:

I háve a fluffy blue point himalayan  :smitten: he is 5 yrs old now.

Cats rule! Ignore the mean cat jokes. Your cat sounds adorable. I had to move from CA to OR (19 hours in the car with 3 unhappy cats) so I can related to your move.

Best wishes and meow.

Katz

I know I'm biased but I SWEAR I notice so many more cat pics as avatars than dog avatars on this site  :laugh:

My little guy is 15 years old and he has stopped eating and losing weight.  He went through this 18 months ago and the vet changed his food and he gained so much vitality back.  But at that time they noticed a little thickening in the stomach that they thought could by lymphoma  :'(  So I am bracing myself for some bad news next week at the vet.  Couldn't get a quicker appt.

He has been my solace when I feel so horrible, just petting him in my lap is such good therapy.  I am treasuring my remaining time with him.

19 hours w 3 cats?? Yikes!!

Katz paddy won't wear a harness or leash so was was stressed out about no litter box but he was ok. He just laid in his kitty carrier for 3 hrs w me sitting beside him.

Deanna, I sure hope your little guy gets a good report at the Vets  :'(

Let us know ok?

Thanks Gardenia! I will report back....BTW I fashion a small little box for my guy when we travel long distances.  I got one of those spacious dog crates made of fabric and put a small tin pan with litter in there.  I couldn't imagine him not being able to do his business.  It takes up some room in the SUV, but he's worth it  :smitten:

Wow Shay - Glad to hear it!  I explain to all my dog loving friends/relatives that you have to be a secure and confident pet owner to love a cat bc you cannot feel slighted when kitty decides she doesn't want to snuggle with you at the moment you may want it.  You have to be patient and feel privileged when she decides on her own to give you her love  :laugh:

That’s so true dee. But that’s what I like about them, they aren’t in ur face like dogs are. Plus dogs smell. Cats don’t. I like dogs but they are high maintenance. My kids are desperate to get one but we can’t have one where we live. One day I’ll get them one, but until then we are happy with our kitty’s

Cats rule! Dogs drool!  :P

My pic is of my 7 1/2 lb, 2 yo dilute calico, she's curled up right next to me at the moment.

My cat Lily died last Friday from the side effects of a Convenia antibiotic one-shot injection.  She had a UTI and if I would have given her antibiotic pills instead, she'd still be alive.  Facebook has a page dedicated to all the pet deaths from Convenia. 

I’m cats all the way dee. Dogs are too needy  :laugh:

We have 2, phoebe and Freddie Mercury  :D

Freddie loved cats  :smitten: I think he had 6.

He wrote a song about his fave, Delilah!

I joke all the time to my daughter and son-in-law (who never liked cats but now has 2!) that one day I will start a website dedicated to fighting the discrimination of cats by dog-lovers and non pet owners alike.  If you ever watch tv commercials they make fun of cats ALL the time.  They would NEVER make fun of a dog.  In fact they use dogs now to sell cars and all sorts of products because they think EVERYONE loves dogs.  My dog owning family members think they can take their dog to my house whenever they want.  Hello?  I have a 15 year old nervous cat!

I'm not a dog hater. I just think they are too needy like Shay says.

I'm terrified of dogs and so was Lily.  A wild poorly trained black lab up the street ran down into my yard one time and got Lily's head in its mouth and almost killed her.  I had to yank Lily's head out of its mouth and it's tooth tore my hand up really bad.  I still have a huge scar running down the back of my hand from saving Lily from possible death.  I also had to save a small dog one time down in the creek where a pack of mean dogs almost tore it to death.  I also had dogs charging at me in the street like they were going to bite me everytime I tried to walk to the mailbox. The park owners finally evicted them because of their mean dogs.  My sister wanted to visit one time and bring her small dog and I said, "No!"  You can never visit me and bring your dog. Frankly, I don't like them.  Occasionally, I would pet my nabe's dog since it was on a leash and was friendly.  Dogs stink and slobber all over the place and tear things up in your home especially when they are puppies.  I've never owned a dog and never would.  If they aren't trained right they can become wild and vicious.  We had a German Shephard when I was a kid and my dad got rid of her because she bit the nabe girl in the back.  My dad realized that his friendship with the nabe was more important than keeping the dog.  Also, some dogs bark nonstop and boy is that annoying.  I had to take my nabe to court one time because they had pitbulls in a kennel outside and they wouldn't stop barking day and night.  The judge ruled against them, of course, and they had to pay a hefty fine.  I'm a cat lover and always will be. 

I'm terrified of dogs and so was Lily.  A wild poorly trained black lab up the street ran down into my yard one time and got Lily's head in its mouth and almost killed her.  I had to yank Lily's head out of its mouth and it's tooth tore my hand up really bad.  I still have a huge scar running down the back of my hand from saving Lily from possible death.  I also had to save a small dog one time down in the creek where a pack of mean dogs almost tore it to death.  I also had dogs charging at me in the street like they were going to bite me everytime I tried to walk to the mailbox. The park owners finally evicted them because of their mean dogs.  My sister wanted to visit one time and bring her small dog and I said, "No!"  You can never visit me and bring your dog. Frankly, I don't like them.  Occasionally, I would pet my nabe's dog since it was on a leash and was friendly.  Dogs stink and slobber all over the place and tear things up in your home especially when they are puppies.  I've never owned a dog and never would.  If they aren't trained right they can become wild and vicious.  We had a German Shephard when I was a kid and my dad got rid of her because she bit the nabe girl in the back.  My dad realized that his friendship with the nabe was more important than keeping the dog.  Also, some dogs bark nonstop and boy is that annoying.  I had to take my nabe to court one time because they had pitbulls in a kennel outside and they wouldn't stop barking day and night.  The judge ruled against them, of course, and they had to pay a hefty fine.  I'm a cat lover and always will be.

Wow Becks I'm not sure I would have had the courage to rescue my Willie from the jaws of a killer dog!!  I mean I know when you are in the midst of it you can do superhuman things but I'm pretty sure I'd just scream like a little girl.  I'm really afraid of big dogs.  My best friend has a very friendly but large and very untrained big dog.  For some reason he took a shine to me and tried to "love" me a bit too much.  Had to run and jump over a couch to get away from him.  We both laugh about it but I don't stay with her anymore because of the dog.

I hope you find peace with the memories of your precious Lily.  You never know what the future brings.  When they have all those kittens lined up outside the pet store I just melt.  Wishing you peace and healing.

I'll never have another cat ever again.  Lily was the last.  I can barely take care of myself anymore.  Plus, I do believe I'm not going to live much longer.  I can barely walk anymore and I'm only 60.

Oh Becks I am 60 also, and feeling like 100 lately but I will not accept that these drugs will take away my good remaining years.  I can't look back.  I will rely on sheer determination.  I want to live to see grandchildren.  I have been devouring neuroscience books about neuroplasticity and how at any age we can make new neural connections. 

My Willie ate some tuna and the liquid from the tuna can! He looked ravenous and seemed very hungry.  I'm thinking he has developed an aversion to his prescription food.  If he keeps this down we may have some hope for him yet.

Deanna, do you have a blog?  Maybe you could start one.  I'm sure alot of people would reply on it.  You sound like a very nice person.  It's good your Willie ate some tuna.  Lily used to love drinking the tuna water.  I'd drain the tuna in the can into her glass plate and she would drink all of it and then eat some of the tuna.  I would only serve Lily food on a small glass Pyrex plate and also only put her dry food in a glass bowl.  I never served Lily wet food in a ceramic, metal or painted bowl.  I did put her water in an aluminum bowl though, in the backroom, but changed it often.   

Deanna, it's good that willie had an appetite  :smitten: that's a good sign, have you tried the BFF foods? My cat likes the oh my gravy one

Weruva  is good too.

Hey Becks, that is so very sweet of you to say  :smitten:  I've thought about doing the blog....perhaps I will  :)

Gardenia, what are the BFF foods?  I'm really starting to think he needs a variety of good wholesome food.  He kept down the tuna/water and started to nibble his Rx food, also kept it down and slept with us last night which he hasn't done in over 2 weeks!  I think he is feeling better, but we won't know until Tuesday PM if anything is seriously wrong.  He could just be getting old and losing his normal appetite like sometimes older people do.  Have to keep him interested in eating.

Thanks guys for caring....he is such a sweet little fuzzy boy. 

BFF has slot of gravy. My cat hates pate foods. I think they just like variety?

I can only get it on chewy, com or Amazon......

BFF stands for best feline friend  :)

Weruva makes a gravy food also.

It sounds like he's doing ok if he's eating  :smitten:

Thanks - he seems to be doing a bit better.  Tomorrow is the vet visit - we'll see if it is something serious and if not I am definitely going to change up his food.  Thanks for the suggestion  :smitten:

So the vet says my little guy has a heart arrhythmia and that his intestines feel thickened.  He took blood and may have some imaging done.  I think this is the start of a long process.  The good news is he is eating better and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. 

I guess we'll take this as it comes and enjoy every day we have with him.

Deanna,  I hope your Willie will be around for a very long time and it's good he's eating better and not in any discomfort.  When a pet stops eating, then you know something is wrong.  That's how I knew my sweet Lily who died was in big trouble.  She wouldn't eat or poop for about five days.  She went into renal failure and had to be put to sleep.  Wonder what's causing his heart arrhythmia and intestinal thickening?