Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cats Cats Cats!

[De...]

Deanna, our shelter purchased these for our motherless kittens:

d09f5a49-6017-47ea-bb43-d3879cba245a.__CR654,273,1203,2406_PT0_SX150_V1___.jpg

They're available at Amazon. The little ones loved them. They contain a warm pack and a heartbeat pack.

Purrs,

Katz

Thanks Katz!  I'll look into that right now!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [De...]

• [Gl...]

• [Ga...]

Top Posters In This Topic

A 3 week old kitten is really tiny.  I'm sure you'll do a good job taking care of that teeny one.  Are you going to keep him or her then?

Thanks Becks!  I'm going to try and not fall in love and keep my first foster, but I can't make any promises.  I like the idea of perpetual kittens in the house LOL  :smitten:

It's hard not to fall in  love . . . but you will. The trick is to spread your love around. Perpetual kittens in the house, yay! One of my co-volunteers at our shelter just got an award for fostering 150 litters. Wow! She had it down to a science . . .a  special room (previously a spare bedroom) where moms and litters could cavort, scratching posts, climbing condos, music, beds with "heartbeat" cats for motherless ones.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe with a photo! Bless you for what you're doing.

:smitten:

Katz

Hi All!!! Our first day has been great.  Meet Atlas, under one pound as of yesterday!  I have taken loads of pics, but have to learn how to insert them in a post, so for now I made him my avatar.  He is a sweet little furball and he is very active and vocal!  I had a bit of hard time getting him to eat yesterday, but I think it was the transition of him coming home with me because he ate overnight and woke up very hungry!  He seems like he loves people, was not afraid of me at all.  I kept him in a large fabric kennel overnight in my room so I could check on him, and by morning he was crazy trying to get out of there.  So I moved him to my bathroom which gives him plenty of exploration potential (no dangers) and he loves to go back into the kennel to sleep in his bed  :smitten:

Katz I ordered the heartbeat kitty from Amazon and it comes tomorrow!  My heart is breaking for this little guy with no momma, so I'm spending lots of time with him and he is responding well to the attention.  He is quite a biter, so I'm using play toys to distract him from my fingers and toes LOL.  I want him to be a trusting and loving kitty...it's nice to know we have the opportunity to shape his personality and gives him the best chance for a great life.

That lady with the kitten room sounds AWESOME!  I can say this is a welcome distraction from my woes and since I was so busy yesterday with everything I didn't even think of my symptoms at all, and I slept like a rock! 

Once I figure out how to insert pics and little videos I will come back with more!  Thanks for sharing this adventure with me!!!!

Awwww . .. what a cutie!!

Sounds like you're doing everything right, Deanna. It's great that he is a people-kitty already.

Look forward to seeing more pix of the little (oops, "big")guy.

:smitten:

Katz

Deanna, I hope that you can post more pics on this thread so we can see bigger pics of the tiny kittens.  I have a teen cat that likes to sleep in the grass outside.  It's a nabe's cat and goes home at night to eat and sleep.  It was sleeping outside in the grass today by the shed.  It's cute.     

I will try Becks.  I printed out instructions for inserting a link to a pic.  Quite involved and will have to take it step by step.  In the meantime I'll keep rotating my avatars.  He's just so tiny!  And he has these odd markings on either side of his nose.  I thought it was dried food but doesn't seem to come off with a warm washcloth.  Almost looks like something that will develop into some cool facial pattern :-)

He lost a tiny bit of weight the first day but is eating well now.  I think he's doing great for a tiny orphan.  Today I should get the heartbeat momma stuffed toy  :smitten:

Posting pxs is a tiny bit complicated. Basically they have to be stored somewhere online so that they can be accessed by BB. Imgur is what I used to use. It's easy to upload photos to them, and you get an URL right away to paste into the BB photo-sharing icon (the mona lisa thingie at bottom left over the post box). I didn't understand for ages that photos had to be stored online. Duh.

Awwwww! Atlas is my sweetie. Cuddle him for me!

Katz

Sweet, Atlas.  What happened to his mommy that he became an orphan?  I'm sure he'll grow up just fine after you take care of him.

Thanks Becks!  That is so sweet of you to say  :smitten:  I don't know his backstory, I'll ask when I bring him in for shots this week.  It's amazing to watch his progress each day.  He's gaining strength and speed, he now darts right out of the bathroom the minute I open the door.  And he cries bloody murder when I'm taking a shower.  I can't tell if he's annoyed by the sound of the water or that I'm out of reach LOL. 

I put the heartbeat mommy in the room and he is a little unsure of it but is getting used to her.  He was sitting right by her yesterday but hasn't cuddled up to her or anything.  I do think he likes the sound of the heartbeat though.  He has great hearing!

This is great therapy for me.  He's wearing me out a little but I he's a great distraction :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Becks,

Funny you asked how he's doing.  Tomorrow he goes in for neuter surgery and that will end the foster period. 

He has grown so fast into a loving and sweet boy, but because he was a singleton orphan he tends to be a biter!  He is always going for our ankles and hands.  We have worked hard with him to dissuade the behavior by switching him right over to chew toys and give him treats when he plays appropriately, and he is getting better but when he is hungry or tire he goes right back to that aggressive behavior :-(

When we first got him he was soooo tiny...less than a pound!!  He has a great appetite and we weigh him 2X a week.  Once he gained a 1/2 lb in 4 days!!  He's now 2.5 lbs!!  It's been so interesting watching his little brain develop and learn new things - he is so healthy and active!  We definitely fell in love with him, but one thing I underestimated is how much attention he needs and it was quite a demanding role for me in my current condition.  The first week we had him I went into a bad wave from all the extra activity and responsibility.  But then I stabilized and it was a good thing because my husband threw his back out and I had to cook, clean and shop on top of Atlas duty.  He's been a joy though and has brought us many laughs these last 5 weeks!!!  He has grown so active we couldn't keep him in the office anymore.  He was so fast we couldn't close the door on him and get out ourselves.  We feel so OLD!  Once while trying to catch him we were both on the floor and my husband and I banged heads together like a comedy routine.  Meanwhile a 1 pound kitten was running furiously around the house.  We laughed and laughed....

It will hard to say goodbye.  He has the potential to be a very cuddly lap kitty and I would LOVE to have that again, but I need a break right now to regain my strength and hopefully still make progress in my recovery.  I will definitely do this again in a few months  :smitten: :smitten:

And sorry I never learned how to post pics and videos, but I have a lot of material in my phone so maybe one day soon!!!

When Lily was a kitten she got tangled up in covers on the floor and I didn't know she was in them and stepped on her.  I'm lucky I didn't hurt her. 

Welcome Catt!!

I swear I still see way more kitty avatars than dog avatars!

Today is Atlas' surgery so I can't feed him breakfast....I think I feel worse than he does about it :-(

He's running around like crazy - good thing I have my husband to help me get him into the carrier for the trip back to the shelter.

It is def with mixed emotions that I give him back  :smitten:

I know I thought it was early too, but the SPCA neuters kitties at 2 months or 2 lbs, whichever comes first.

It was hard to drop him off today.  I miss him in the house.  It's so quiet :-(

But I guess I'll be able to get more rest now - I'm in a nasty wave atm.

Is little Atlas going to stay at the shelter now?  I hope someone adopts him right away.  He is so cute.  I feel sorry for him for having such a difficult start in life.   

Yes - I don't get to take him home anymore - he's up for adoption starting today I think.  The coordinator said he'll likely be adopted very quickly -  kittens go quickly.

The house is so empty and quiet without him and his little meow  :'(

I would have loved to keep him, but sadly I was barely able to take care of him...I hope to do it again though when I'm more stable again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Becks - I have to assume he was.  He never made it to the adoption page of the SPCA website and the ones that are on there move pretty fast.  He was the cutest little guy and I'm sure he was irresistible to anyone looking to adopt  :smitten:

I am still missing him.  My husband still misses my previous cat Willie too.  We really want another cat but it doesn't fit our lifestyle right now.

I miss my Lily too alot now.  I'll never have another pet ever again in my life because I can barely take care of myself anymore.  Lily's with me in spirit though all the time.