Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need help with Ativan taper below .25mg

[Bi...]

Hello Friends,

I have been holding at .25mg Ativan for over 2 months (.125mg AM and .125mg PM). For my next cut I was planning moving down to .125 mg by dropping the AM dose.

Well... I actually forgot to take my PM dose last night, and accidentally experienced what it would be like if I dropped a dose. It was not good at all.

Can anyone explain how I can use a liquid to make my own smaller doses to use for the final taper? Or point me toward a resource?

I am pretty convinced after last night that I need a new strategy.

Thank you!

Bibs jo

*I also posted this on the direct thread as I am hoping to switch from direct to titration

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bibsjo!

Generic lorazepam comes in a 2 mg/mL liquid concentrate that goes by the ominous name Intensol.  The instructions say:

"This medication is a high-strength concentrated liquid. Use the provided medicine dropper to carefully measure the exact amount of medication prescribed by your doctor. You may mix the measured dose with a small amount of juice, water, soda, applesauce or pudding. Stir in one dose and mix gently for a few seconds. After preparing one dose, drink or eat the entire mixture right away. Do not prepare a supply for future use."

You would have to take just a small portion of a very diluted dose, the balance of which cannot be saved for future use, so you would probably end up wasting a lot of it.  But at $8 to $13 per 30 mL bottle, it doesn't seem terribly expensive. 

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14588/lorazepam-intensol-oral/details#:~:text=This%20medication%20is%20a%20high,gently%20for%20a%20few%20seconds.

Here's a link to a more thorough description of Intensol. 

https://docs.boehringer-ingelheim.com/Prescribing%20Information/PIs/Roxane/Lorazepam/Lorazepam%20Intensol.pdf 

If you're in the US and your doctor is cooperative, this seems like a convenient tapering option.

The liquid comes with a dropper that delivers a minimum volume of 0.25 mL, equal to 0.5 mg.  So you could add that amount to 50 mL of water to get a 0.01 mg/mL solution. 

Using that solution, you have complete flexibility as to dose decrements. 

For example,

12.5 mL of 0.01 mg/mL solution = 0.125 mg lorazepam (discard 37.5 mL)

12.4 mL of 0.01 mg/mL solution = 0.124 mg lorazepam (discard 37.6 mL)

and so on, all the way down to

0.10 mL of 0.01 mg/mL solution = 0.001 mg lorazepam (discard 49.9 mL)

Hi Bibsjo!

Generic lorazepam comes in a 2 mg/mL liquid concentrate that goes by the ominous name Intensol.  The instructions say:

"This medication is a high-strength concentrated liquid. Use the provided medicine dropper to carefully measure the exact amount of medication prescribed by your doctor. You may mix the measured dose with a small amount of juice, water, soda, applesauce or pudding. Stir in one dose and mix gently for a few seconds. After preparing one dose, drink or eat the entire mixture right away. Do not prepare a supply for future use."

You would have to take just a small portion of a very diluted dose, the balance of which cannot be saved for future use, so you would probably end up wasting a lot of it.  But at $8 to $13 per 30 mL bottle, it doesn't seem terribly expensive. 

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14588/lorazepam-intensol-oral/details#:~:text=This%20medication%20is%20a%20high,gently%20for%20a%20few%20seconds.

Koko Lee,

Oh my gosh THANK YOU! I am in the US and I had no idea this was an option. I will run this by my doctor as soon as I can. He may be on vacation. Thank you again!

~ Bibs Jo

Bibsjo: Good for you for talking to your prescriber about the lorazepam Intensol.  If you decide to pursue this option, we could put together a “how to” sheet on preparing and measuring your doses in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for using an Intensol.  FYI This particular Intensol requires refrigeration.

Koko Lee:  Good to see you on the boards as always. FYI - it appears that at least one of the manufacturers in the US (West-Ward now owned by Hikma) has changed from a dropper to an oral syringe for the measuring device.

Source:

DailyMed

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed

Oh my gosh THANK YOU! I am in the US and I had no idea this was an option. I will run this by my doctor as soon as I can.

My pleasure, Bibs jo!  I truly hope this possibility works out for you!

Bibsjo: Good for you for talking to your prescriber about the lorazepam Intensol.  If you decide to pursue this option, we could put together a “how to” sheet on preparing and measuring your doses in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for using an Intensol.  FYI This particular Intensol requires refrigeration.

Koko Lee:  Good to see you on the boards as always. FYI - it appears that at least one of the manufacturers in the US (West-Ward now owned by Hikma) has changed from a dropper to an oral syringe for the measuring device.

Source:

DailyMed

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed

Thanks Libertas!  Your input is always helpful.