Benzo withdrawal and COVID 19- I have it.

[Mo...]

Update: Someone said "get comfortable being uncomfortable". They probably didn't go through benzo withdrawals but still in my case having COVID 19 it might the case.

Just wanted you to know that I am on day 7, still feeling the virus but it's mild. The fever is the worst but actually isn't that bad. It goes up and down all day long. I feel ok for an hour then my temperature goes up and I feel lousy again. Cough is mostly gone, back to the wd body aches, so nothing new about that, basically all the symptoms of withdrawal with a fever, cough and scratchy throat added.

Again everyone is different. In my case, because I'm always feeling the withdrawals and the symptoms of COVID 19 are very similar it wasn't that much of a change BUT the added fever did make the fatigue and weakness worse.

Anxiety up just thinking of the possible lung involvement that could come but I'm not showing any symptoms of that. Hopefully, just a few more days to go and I'll be through this and back to tapering. O joy.

One other thing I had a lot of anxiety about is if I had to go to the hospital I wouldn't be able to get the right dosage of valium. I'm sure that this causes anxiety in others as well. But someone wrote that if you end up in the hospital not getting the correct dosage of benzos would be the least of your worries. It seems like we can't get a break, can we?

Most cases are mild so hopefully that may give some of you a tiny bit of comfort. In my case the fear of getting it while going through withdrawals was worse when it actually hit. It was like "ok now I have to get through this as well as tapering".

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Ma...]

• [ba...]

• [Hy...]

Top Posters In This Topic

THINGS YOU MAY WANT TO DO NOW IN CASE YOU CATCH THE VIRUS

1: PREPARE TO HOLD AND MAKE YOUR DOSED AHEAD OF TIME. I am dry cutting and so one thing I did do is cut more pills at my current dose in case I got really sick and couldn't do it while I was sick. That has served me well.

2: TALK TO YOUR PROVIDER AND GET IT SET UP TO HAVE PHONE APPOINTMENTS.

THE GOVERNMENT JUST MADE IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU ONLY HAVE TO TALK TO YOUR PROVIDER EACH MONTH TO GET YOUR PRESCRIPTION REFILLED.

You don't actually have to see them in person right now. You may want to talk to your provider and get this set up with them.

My provider an I worked out a plan that she could write refills for 10 weeks and that every month when I came in she would update that each time. But since it is a controlled substance you have to see your provider every month but now you can talk to them over the phone or telehealth

3: SEE IF YOU CAN GET YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS MAILED TO YOU. It could take a month or two so do this soon. I already have my scripts mailed to me so this wasn't an issue.

4: TALK TO YOUR PROVIDER AND MAKE PLANS IN CASE THEY GET SICK. Do they have someone to cover for them?

5: MAKE A LIST OF YOU CURRENT PRESCRIPTIONS AND DOSAGES. To take with you in case you have to go to the hospital. You may not be able to get the exact current dose but perhaps something very close, if needed.

I'm sure other people have more suggestions.

Hi mobykal,

You described it so well about the virus infection. My sx from that is exactly same. I didn't get tested but guessing it is the Corona because the different feeling from the familiar flu or cold. I'm on 14 days, all sx went away since day 8 until today it showed up a bit again. Like you said, it comes and goes with the same sx, sore throat, very mild fever and headache.

This virus is insane like bwd in a way. I got it in 20 min after my son walked in to the house. So I believe you that you got it in 3 min being 3 ft away from the infected person. My son is still asymptomic, 3 weeks from his travel.

My bwd went through the sky with old sx worsening and new ones added on. I don't think it's from the anxiety as I don't feel anxious ( nothing would scare me being in this hellish wd). I believe the virus messed up my cns a lot more.

It says 2 weeks to recover for mild cases. I hope both of us recover fully soon and the impact on bwd dies down quickly.

Hi mobykal,

You described it so well about the virus infection. My sx from that is exactly same. I didn't get tested but guessing it is the Corona because the different feeling from the familiar flu or cold. I'm on 14 days, all sx went away since day 8 until today it showed up a bit again. Like you said, it comes and goes with the same sx, sore throat, very mild fever and headache.

This virus is insane like bwd in a way. I got it in 20 min after my son walked in to the house. So I believe you that you got it in 3 min being 3 ft away from the infected person. My son is still asymptomic, 3 weeks from his travel.

My bwd went through the sky with old sx worsening and new ones added on. I don't think it's from the anxiety as I don't feel anxious ( nothing would scare me being in this hellish wd). I believe the virus messed up my cns a lot more.

It says 2 weeks to recover for mild cases. I hope both of us recover fully soon and the impact on bwd dies down quickly.

I hope so too. I think my husband has it too, thanks to me. He's only had a slight fever off and on for the last three days. He's unfazed.

I hope your sxs get better. I haven't jumped yet so I don't know if that's why I'm not getting the "extra" push with sx. Will it always be a problem when we get sick?

It's bold of you to keep updating us. Keep doing so - we are all here to support you as you recover  :smitten:

My wife (separated) got it and recovered. For her it was like a flu. Recovered at home in about 2 weeks. This was in Boston. I myself am not so optimistic about what my chances would be, as I'm 63 and have a risk factor (asthma). So I'm being super cautious. Did not visit my wife while she was sick. In fact I have barely left my home for weeks. (Note: I was not agoraphobic even when in benzo withdrawal ... now I am ... go figure)

In a way it's good you got it early. If you need hospital care (hope not!) it's still available where you are, I'm guessing. (Wisconsin?). And after recovery you are immune, at least for a while.

Much love and best wishes!!!

Richard [a.k.a. chessplayer a.k.a. hypatia]

Hey, Sorry your wife had to go through this, but happy it wasn't worse. Hospital care is still available (I'm in Colorado) but testing is not.  It is scary thinking " I may get this and if I do how bad is it going to be?". Now, because it hasn't been bad for me,  I also think that now that I do have some immunity I can go out. (Not until I really recover and wait the seven days after I stop showing symptoms).

You're not alone. There are so many people I know that have underlying conditions or are older than 60. I'm almost there myself.

If you think about it, one could be in isolation for 6 weeks or longer depending how many people in your home get it, then others wait to see if they get it. then the recovery period for those people etc. Then if another person gets it in the future....

Goodness, the CDC must think we ALL live in big houses with only a few people living together.  Reality check! For many Americans, everyone in a household may get it because they live in close quarters. It's just not a viable option for  many to quarantine one or two people away from others in a household.

It won't be long when we all know someone who's had it or have had it ourselves. I now worry about my husband, who's just starting to get a fever. And my friends and family who haven't had it. I also have an elderly mother and mother-in-law etc.

I would be the most likely person to help take care of them if they should get it, but I don't know if I could do it while I'm withdrawing from valium.

I then think about all those people addicted to substances, legal or otherwise. People, like many of us, that don't (didn't) know that they are in a world of hurt if they can't get their medications throughout this.

It's just a real mess. (My mind is going a little out there with the fever right now, so I'm rambling).

But remember, even those with underlying conditions, the odds are if you get it, it will be mild.

I am confident I have it as well. I live in a ski town in Colorado, and with so many visitors, I expect at least half of my community has it. My physical therapist tested positive, and I have seen her 5 times prior to her becoming symptomatic and getting a test.

We don't have enough tests up here to even give them to first responders anymore. And the fire department are out of masks. I am much more concerned about people who have to work in this situation, my husband is one of those people.

MobyKal, as you are in Colorado as well, you know of our ridiculous shortage. Although our governor has been very proactive in shutting down most things and implementing strict protocols. Everyone up here wears gloves, 6 foot rule, bandannas over the face. Constant sanitization of everything in work spaces.

I have a raw throat, fatigue, headache,achy, elevated fever, but not up in the danger range. Chest is OK, although I was in an acute state of air hunger before all this hit. The air hunger went it's way. this chest issue feels completely different, just mildly out of breath, not tight.

And some days I have no symptoms.

It see-saws back and forth. Today I am completely drained, fever is up, throat a bit worse, but chest is better than yesterday. Yesterday I was very energetic and active, and got things done, including riding my stationary bike.

I am in self imposed strict quarantine, and have communicated to my pdoc regarding my exposure. They are supportive, but have no tests, and we have no cure. They suspect I have it, and am to let them know if it gets ugly, but a test will likely never happen, we don't have them.

You folks who said it does not feel like the flu, or a cold, or other common infections are right. My biggest concern is fever, sometimes it gets a little too high for my anxiety.

I am not terribly afraid, however. I figured at the outset that many in such a bubble of a community would get it. I have a strong immune system, and no risk factors, except for being older (57 next month.)

I have a raw throat, fatigue, headache,achy, elevated fever, but not up in the danger range. Chest is OK, although I was in an acute state of air hunger before all this hit. The air hunger went it's way. this chest issue feels completely different, just mildly out of breath, not tight.

And some days I have no symptoms.

It see-saws back and forth. Today I am completely drained, fever is up, throat a bit worse, but chest is better than yesterday. Yesterday I was very energetic and active, and got things done, including riding my stationary bike.

You're right that it see-saws. I have the same experience.

When do you start seeing symptoms?

EXACTLY, Mobykal. While Benzo Withdrawal causes a lot of symptoms that can mimic health issues,  I have NEVER heard of it causing a FEVER, an actual increase in body temperature, Let's say over 101-102 degrees F. I am not sure about degrees C, like they use in Canada and Great Britain.  Here is my message to anyone going through Benzo withdrawal.  Do not get overly concerned unless you are running a FEVER!  I have a digital thermometer and I can take my temperature.  If you cannot do that, feel your forehead or have a family member do that for you.  If it feels extremely warm, something you have NEVER EXPERIENCED before, call your healthcare provider.

Sit tight and you WILL recover from Benzos, and the WORLD will recover from COVID..... 

thanks for keeping us posted and what to possibly expect. I've literally stipulated to  my family that God forbid I get it and end up in hospital  - there is to be no sedation with benzos!!!!

As awful as it is - you sound like you are weathering this well - which gives the rest of us some peace and hope.

speedy recovery!!

I think the worst part of this is the BOREDOM that comes from being under strict quarantine. Even in hard wd, getting out of the house was always helpful.  Not to make light of anyone who has a severe case, or any of us who may get worse. As mentioned, some symptoms mimic WD sxs, I left those out of my list. Today is a more "sick" day, so I am a lethargic noodle. To cope with the wd sxs, I have an exercise bike and do yoga and play games. Today I am too weak for exercise, so desperately looking for fresh distraction (games.) I am an avid reader, but even that is getting old.

I think we are supposed to stay in 14 days from onset of symptoms. Too lazy to look it up. I will wait until I have a few symptom free days before breaking out of exile, almost a week in so far, so I still have about 8/9 days to watch this and hope it stays rather benign.

Hoping we all get through this without an escalation in the illness. Will keep checking in so we can compare symptoms/how long we are ill, etc.

Thank you to both of you who are posting updates. I wish you both speedy recoveries.

I think the guidance is you should wait 7 days after symptoms are *gone* before going out.

My wife is still being somewhat cautious. For one thing, while we're pretty sure now that it was COVID (her officemate later got it and tested positive), she herself didn't get tested at the time (thought it was flu) and it's too late now to test. The test they're doing (PCR - looks for the virus itself) becomes negative after you recover. So there's a chance she just had the flu back in Feb. We don't know. Also there have been reports from China of COVID re-infection, which is very concerning. So she's still being careful after recovery.

As for me, I am scared to death so I am isolating myself. I can do 6 weeks of isolation (in week 4 now) without a problem. I'm a nerd who loves to read and listen to music and do other solitary (or online) sorts of activities (like play chess). My concern though is what if it's more like 6 months? Or 6 *years*? I mean, what's the endgame here? We're not going to wipe this virus out, at least not until there is a vaccine. We can check the current (initial) wave of infection, but there will be future waves. I am worried about when I will be able to come out of isolation and travel again. While I am doing OK here in my home, there are loved ones all over the world that I do want to see again someday. And my main home is not even here where I am isolating...

Goodness, the CDC must think we ALL live in big houses with only a few people living together.  Reality check! For many Americans, everyone in a household may get it because they live in close quarters. It's just not a viable option for  many to quarantine one or two people away from others in a household.

This is a good point. But I'd like to point out that for much of the world, even "poor" (non-rich) Americans have it good compared with them. This is a video I shot in the slums of downtown Kingston Jamaica when I was there in December. (Jamaica is where my primary home is). Later I put it up on YouTube with the caption "what if coronavirus gets *here*?".

Well, guess what?: It *is* there now. Imagine trying to isolate if you live in a crowded shack in a slum and your only bathroom is a shared public toilet? For the "bottom billion" of the world, this is not a "gee I'm bored" problem, this is more like something out of Dante's Inferno. Which is why I am in a state of shock and grief as I watch that map of this thing spreading to all corners of the world.

Love (and anguish and grief),

Chessplayer

This is a good point. But I'd like to point out that for much of the world, even "poor" (non-rich) Americans have it good compared with them. This is a video I shot in the slums of downtown Kingston Jamaica when I was there in December. (Jamaica is where my primary home is). Later I put it up on YouTube with the caption "what if coronavirus gets *here*?".

Well, guess what?: It *is* there now. Imagine trying to isolate if you live in a crowded shack in a slum and your only bathroom is a shared public toilet? For the "bottom billion" of the world, this is not a "gee I'm bored" problem, this is more like something out of Dante's Inferno. Which is why I am in a state of shock and grief as I watch that map of this thing spreading to all corners of the world.

Love (and anguish and grief),

Chessplayer

I think about that a lot, all the people who live in poor countries. Some with only a few doctors in the entire country. Some with only one ventilator. It's going to be devastating. And it's only beginning. I can't see how some economies won't collapse. And people have to go out for food. It's not like they can stock up food for weeks on end. I can't see how governments can put a stay at home order and keep the country running.

Day 11" Well, it looks like the illness has run it's course. My temperature is the correct temperature and has been for the last two days. Luckily I never developed lung problems. And I'll be able to go out this weekend.

My withdrawal sx have come back  worse however, not that they truly ever left, as my body is recovering from the illness. I can tell the difference now that the fever has gone. Oddly, the sxs weren't as bad when I was symptomatic with COVID 19 except for the first day. Perhaps because I could sleep more???

Also I wasn't scared once I realized I had it. The fever gave me a "I really don't care" feeling. Yes, I was concerned about the possible lung involvement but not overly so. I am more scared of each drop with the benzo. I've been tapering for a year now and I can't get used to the idea that the withdrawals would be more than I could handle every two to four weeks.

I started noticing that my withdrawals were getting bad again as my fever stopped. Pain, fatigue, anxiety, etc. I cut my dose 2 1/2 weeks ago and it does feel like it does the first week after lowering the dose.

For me, having a mild case of COVID 19, was no way near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I couldn't do much, mind you. And I still have to recover now. I thought it would be a lot harder with having withdrawals at the same time, but many of the sxs merged with the symptoms of the withdrawals.

While I had it, it kept hitting me. What I mean is I would feel ok one day and think this is it, I'm through it. Then the next day I would feel awful.

Am I worried that I could get it again? Of course.

I'll still be wearing a mask now that the CDC is reconsidering everyone wearing masks. I'll still wash my hands all the time etc. I just don't want to touch something that might be contaminated and deposit on something else and get someone else sick.

My husband has a slight fever but hasn't shown any other signs, feels fine and this is day six for him. Never developed a cough or body aches. Except for the fever, and I MADE him take his temperature every day as I developed symptoms,  we would never know that he had a problem. he's feeling great.

I know that I'm lucky that I developed a mild case. Since most cases are mild, I think it's still worth worth talking about. Especially when most of us are hypervigilant of how are body feels while going through withdrawals. And the anxiety that increases with the increase stress of an illness.

Hypatia and Moby, I share your concern for the millions of people who can't go into isolation, have no supplies, nominal medical care, and no help from their governments. I think of the many homeless in our own country, especially children. I think of people in prisons, the refugees on the border, the death toll could get very high among those and similar groups.

It is in my lungs a bit today, or else it's air hunger, an ongoing issue, who knows, but I am not happy about it. Temperature is 98.9 F, so probably air hunger.

Moby, glad your over it, and I understand your caution.

Thanks for the update mobykal!

I'm glad to hear that virus is about over for you!

I eche everything you said in your post. I'm on 17 days from the infection. The cold sx was only moderate in week 1 then gone in week 2 then came back a bit for a couple days since day 14 now gone again. If this is truly (I believe so) the coronavirus, my case is very mild not even as bad as the normal flu. Being extremely lucky with that, my wd got so much worse to a lever more than my worst ever acute. I can tell it's doing something to my nerve system. I hope once the virus completely dies down, I can go back to where I was wd wise.

I want to warm everyone to be extremely cautious, how this virus transmits is beyond unbelievable, at a level like bwd, hard to believe.

Another Covid comment. Two days ago I went to Walmart for a prescription. People had dropped dirty used gloves and masks on the parking lot and near the entrance, and even inside the store! God help us! How could anyone BE so thoughtless and downright trashy? I get annoyed seeing cigarette butts in those places. But just dropping your gloves, dirty one - is way beyond me. I happen to know that masks and gloves are in short supply, even here in a small town in Florida. I also saw notices on NextDoor advertising paper towel rolls for $5.00 each! Greed in these days is unforgivable.

I swear, human beings are the worst species God created, bar non.

east

I am happy everyone is healing from Covid. I can see with my 2 family members that it is really weird, as you said, some good days, you think it is over after 3 weeks, and then the fever returns and it kind of restarts. Just make sure you do not overdo something in the next weeks, keep it nice and slow!  :smitten:

I think about that a lot, all the people who live in poor countries. Some with only a few doctors in the entire country. Some with only one ventilator. It's going to be devastating. And it's only beginning. I can't see how some economies won't collapse. And people have to go out for food. It's not like they can stock up food for weeks on end. I can't see how governments can put a stay at home order and keep the country running.

Yes exactly. Like the million or so people in refugee camps in various parts of the world, for example https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/04/refugees-coronavirus-covid19-bangladesh/609259/

re: "economies will collapse" Exactly my worry, except: It is ONE interconnected global economy. You order delivery from Whole Foods, where do you think those fruits and vegetables are grown? Mexico or Central America maybe? Where does that coffee you're drinking come from? Africa? Indonesia? You put trash in recycle, where do you think it goes? To a slum in Manila where someone picks through it so new cans and bottles can be made for you? If all the third world economies collapse, how long do you think all that stuff will keep arriving at your doorstep? I've been worrying about global economic collapse since February when we started to see this thing spreading around the world. Maybe because I had already MOVED to a third-world country for retirement before all this started (Jamaica, which is quite poor outside of the tourist resorts), I am more acutely aware of the global situation than most Americans. (My wife, mentioned in previous posts, is Jamaican but she moved to the US when we married. She stayed in US when I moved to Jamaica - we traded countries. For now I am back in US - was afraid to remain in a country where virus is spreading and there is basically no functioning healthcare system - almost no respirators for example. Although at this point US might not be any better with healthcare system on verge of collapse in some cities.)

Sorry to hijack your thread with my situation. Let's get back to you. I do thank you for your posts and again wish you a full recovery, Marigold.  :smitten:

Mobykal, 4mom, I am sorry to hear that your wd sxs got worse with this virus. I am hoping you will find in you the strength to move forward. When I was really bad in acute, I used the forum a lot, and also YouTube for distraction. However bad it is, remember, it WILL PASS.

4mom, how do you think you got the virus?

Sending love and healing vibes across the board,

:smitten:

Can I ask for those of you that have the virus or think you have the virus what age you are approx.

I know this is not something you may want to share but I am 64 and think I have it and want to hopefully hear of some of similar age that are doing ok with it.

Thanks

ATU