New Tinnitus tone due to Clonazepam withdrawal?

[da...]

Hi, I'm suffering from a new tinnitus tone from 3 days ago. This new tone is like the "noise of silence" you hear after leaving disco or a concert but louder.

I've had tinnitus for 15 months or so in my left ear but I was habituated. Due to a different condition I begun to take Clonazepam 5 months ago. The first 3 months I was taking 0.25 mg (half a pill) and then 0.5 mg. I began withdrawal 20 days ago taking 0.375 mg (three quarters pill) and 6 days ago lowered to 0.25 mg.

As I say the new tone in BOTH ears started 3 days ago and I think it's due to a too fast Clonazepam withdrawal.

The problem is that I don't know what to do now. Increase the dosage again to 0.375 mg, increase it it to 0.5 mg or stay at 0.25 mg. Any advice please?

Thanks.

Hi dani.

Glad you’re here for information and support during your taper. Tinnitus is a common symptom of benzodiazepine withdrawal as you’ll see when you begin posting to the wider membership. I’m sure other forum members will be able to offer their own experiences with this.

Here’s a link that will take you to our withdrawal board: Planning your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Take care,

Challis  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is a comprehensive and highly regarded free online resource about benzodiazepine use, withdrawal and recovery. If you’re not familiar with it we recommend having a look.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if I should move this thread to Widthdrawal subforum ...

I've already learnt some useful things in this forum in only 2h of reading, for example it seems that during Clonazepam withdrawal could be useful to take 1500 mg of GABA daily to reduce symptoms. I hope this info be valid yet.

[f6...]

Your cuts are larger than what we usually advise, but I don't know if up-dosing and tapering more slowly will help.  Tinnitus is very common during withdrawal.  Often much of the withdrawal-related tinnitus resolves after a time.

How are you feeing otherwise?  If tinnitus is the only significant issue, it might be wise to continue (not up-dose).  It helps us if you put some info into a 'signature' so we can better see where you're coming from and what you've been doing.

I agree with badsocref, if you can bear it, just hang in there and it will fade with time (may take long though). But if you can and decide to reinstate and then taper super slow, reinstate at a much higher dose, maybe twice as much as what you were initially on. This is what I would have done from everything I learned here.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it.

This morning I woke up with a louder tinnitus. I suffered a lot 1 year ago due to my original tinnitus. My mood almost cost me a divorce (no exaggerating). Since then I have other conditions as peripheral sensitive polyneuropathy and burning mouth syndrome (the reason of Clonazepam intake). Of all of them the worst for my mind is tinnitus by far. I just can't stand it.

As this time the new tinnitus is worse than the original one, I'm forced to try to remove it in any way. So I decided, finally, to updose to 1 mg and pray :'(

I'm just no ready to go through that situation again, yet.

Some questions come to my mind now:

- How long does the updose take to take effect and calm my brain?

- Will be enough to updose to 1 mg? 50shadesofdre suggests twice the original dose but that would be 2 mg!!!!

- I'm taking daily since yesterday 1500 mg of GABA (supplement). Do you think it will help?

I'm a bit frustrated because I've not been able to follow your recommendation about avoiding to updose :(

Thanks a lot for your help.

did 1 mg help?

the tinnitus got worse for me before it got better

I took the pill today with breakfast. At the time being my T is at the same level as yesterday. So really I don't know if the udpdosing helps. We'll see tomorrow ...

That's the reason why I asked how long the updose takes to take effect. Really I don't know what to expect or when.

Thanks for your interest. :)

That could means that my new tinnitus could no be due to the recent withdrawal ... :sick:

Although, I'm no taking twice the original dose as you suggested.

I hope to get better news tomorrow morning.

[f6...]

I don't think that GABA will help your tinnitus. I have this discussion with people pretty often - GABA doesn't permeate the blood brain barrier very well.  It 'might' help with some GI stuff since there's a lot of GABAA receptors down there, but it's not going to help with much of the brain/mental stuff.

Gabapentin may offer a non-benzo approach to dealing with your tinnitus.  You might want to discuss that option with your doctor.

In theory, any change in klonopin dose will take 4-5 days to be fully realized.  However, much of the change will be realized the first day.  Up-dosing works for some.  I hope it works for you too.

Thanks for your comment Badsocref.

Some time ago, wiht my original T, I checked TinnitusTalk forum. I found there that Gabapentin is a bit dangerous and many users got their T increased, some of them permanently. Have you had success with it trying to increase the GABA levels in brain?

As update, 6 days after the updosing, I feel my new T is less loud a bit. Maybe almost 50%. Still taking 1500 mg of GABA.

I've a new question now. How long I should keep this dose before trying a slower tappering (probably using drops)?

Regards.

PD: I've to say that this community is awesome and as helpful as TinnitusTalk. I'm very thankful :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings dani1977.

Can so relate and totally understand how tinnitus can ruin ones' life. Have been struggling with 24/7 tinnitus for approx 2 1/2 yrs brought on by, I believe, a plethora of  tried/failed prescribed psychotropic drugs when Paxil (antidepressant) quit working after many yrs. Sound is ringing in both ears and popping in left ear as well. Seems like ringing encompasses entire head! Am presently tapering off temazepam (originally prescribed  for insomnia) and don't think I have experienced any change in volume/type of sound. My research, however, tells me this is a possible side affect of benzo withdrawal.

Interesting though for me, after starting med for cholesterol management, the tinnitus volume ramped up and popping began in both ears !!!! GP and I decided to stop new med and revisit in a couple of weeks. Within 3 days volume/popping back to pre cholesterol drug.

Am a newbie here so will not suggest anything for your continued taper. Just wanted to encourage you to STAY STRONG.

Thanks for your comments Weepingwillow.

I you took statins for cholesterol, is a knowm cause of T or T increase. Regarding T I learned a lot from Tinnitus Talk forum. I suppose u already know it. Anyway after updosing my new T is much more bareable.

As I posted some days ago, now the question is: How long should I wait with this clonazepam dose before begining a slower tappering?

Best of luck with your T. Sooner or later we'll get a cure.

Regards.

Hi dani1977. I'm tapering clonazepam 0.5 too. I feel the same as you in both ears since 3 or 4 days ago. Maybe it is the dose or maybe it is the anxiety in my case due to covid19 and to be more tense than usual. Hope your problem to solve soon.

Hi Leo,

I've just seen your tapering procedure in your signature. What do u use to lower de doses? I suppose is not cutting the pill ...

Regarding T, the hissing was there without changes for 6 days after a too fast tapering, then it faded a bit but take into account I had to updose because I was in panic.

Good luck.

Regards.

Yes dani, dry cut. I know it is a mess and it isn't accurate, thats why "aprox". 1/4 0.5mg is easy to cut, 0.0625mg not so easy but it was my plan. I was doing well till this virus ... I hoped to jump off soon but it must be delayed. Thats why in my case I think jitteriness and anxiety is a big reason. I wish you the best