Would you rather go to jail or go thru withdrawal?

[Be...]

There is nothing on this planet that I want or need to go through Benzo Hell again. Immortaly and eternal youth HARD PASS. :)

Would you rather go to jail as a healthy person for years or go through benzo withdrawal for the same amount of time?!

So true.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Ju...]

• [Aj...]

• [Pt...]

In jail/prison, I would lose the cheap house I was lucky to buy, I would never find one in the condition this was in, at the price I bought it for. Now, my single-level ranch-style brick and stucco townhouse, is worth more than twice what I got it for. Who's going to pay the mortgage? Who's going to care for my cats? I'd lose my possessions, the freedom to make decisions regarding food choices, having a comfortable bed to sleep in, and chair to sit on. There would be no privacy, the cacophony of sounds in a jail would drive me crazy. I'd be stuck with unhealthy, inedible, food. No choice in any entertainment, no choice of music, TV shows. movies, internet access. Being locked away, having no freedom, horrible living conditions vs this horrible benzo withdrawal where I still have my freedom and fairly decent living conditions? I'll stick with the withdrawal. I've seen enough shows filmed in jails/prisons, and toured one for a high school criminology class, that I's never choose that over what I'm going through now. At least I can keep my mind busy and distract myself, in jail you are bored and time goes slow, and you are always watching your back, so you aren't targeted.

I'm living in hell now, but I have the comforts of home, I actually am a homeowner, which I never thought I'd ever be able to afford with my disability income. I'd get out of jail and would have no place to go, my disability income (which would stop while behind bars), would be reinstated, but there would be no affordable place to go to. My monthly mortgage is less than what I'd pay in rent. At least when withdrawal ends (and it will end), I will still have all that I had before. I wouldn't going to jail for the same period. I'd rather have my property and freedom, even if it means going through this. Jail is it's own kind of hell, I didn't like being stuck in a hospital for long. And treatment in a hospital is much better than in a jail. I'm never going through this withdrawal again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to jail and psychiatric hospitals and homeless shelters and I've lived on the streets and I've done all kinds of BS throughout life, and nothing compares to the misery that doctors put you through with pills.

I would go to prison for 20 years over going through benzo withdrawal for 3 years. It's not like you see on tv, it's not all fights and people playing cards and stabbing each other, there's actually outdoor activities and cooking and legal classes and different classes you can take to keep yourself occupied. With benzo withdrawal, it's hell and it's the worst hell you can imagine and it doesn't stop for anything.

It's just like a psychiatric hospital, only the rooms are a little bit smaller and there's more stainless steel. Actually I've been in psychiatric hospitals that are worse than some of the jails.

• 1 month later...

Jail.

I answered that question when I checked into a psychiatric hospital. I was willing to risk anything to make benzo withdrawal stop.

So much for the "help" we got and so much for "feeling better" from their pills, because that's what they tell you when you go to the psychiatric hospital, is that they're going to help you.

For those of you who aren't exactly sure, the answer is actually really clear and not even questionable. Think about how bad benzo withdrawal sucks, jail doesn't compare remotely. Jail is one of those things in life that's more like an inconvenience, but it's not 100% suffering 24/7 like benzo withdrawal.

We are in jail. This is an open air prison. Worse, it’s a torture chamber inside of ourselves that no one on the outside can see because the bars are invisible.

I've actually gone through benzo withdrawal in jail before a few times, that's probably the worst. There's only one thing worse than going through benzo withdrawal in jail, which is to go through benzo withdrawal on the streets without anywhere to live.

I will never forget the level of suffering I went through when I ran out of Valium, Tramadol, Propanolol, vodka, and Phenobarb all at once in Denver, Colorado. Benzo withdrawal, opiate withdrawal, and barbiturate withdrawal simultaneously while coming off blood pressure medications and not having anywhere to live simultaneously while going through agoraphobia and being homeless, just doesn't get any worse.

Imagine wanting to hide from society because of the agoraphobia, yet you don't have anywhere to sleep or rest. Imagine wanting to get food to eat, only not having a kitchen to make food. Imagine needing Medical treatment, yet not having anywhere to be discharged home to. But the worst part of it, was simply my body trying to make sense of what was going on from so many pills being eliminated from my system at once.

I've actually gone through benzo withdrawal in jail before a few times, that's probably the worst. There's only one thing worse than going through benzo withdrawal in jail, which is to go through benzo withdrawal on the streets without anywhere to live.

I will never forget the level of suffering I went through when I ran out of Valium, Tramadol, Propanolol, vodka, and Phenobarb all at once in Denver, Colorado. Benzo withdrawal, opiate withdrawal, and barbiturate withdrawal simultaneously while coming off blood pressure medications and not having anywhere to live simultaneously while going through agoraphobia and being homeless, just doesn't get any worse.

That sounds pretty miserable and you deserve better. I CT’d methadone, oxycodone and Ativan (all taken as prescribed by my drug dealer pusher doctor) - thought I was going to die - probably did. I couldn’t imagine doing it on the streets. At least I was in a freezing cold room by myself. Sorry you experienced all of that but sounds like you are a tough cookie and getting better now. ❤️

So, jail or withdrawal. What’s your pick?

Imagine wanting to hide from society because of the agoraphobia, yet you don't have anywhere to sleep or rest. Imagine wanting to get food to eat, only not having a kitchen to make food. Imagine needing Medical treatment, yet not having anywhere to be discharged home to. But the worst part of it, was simply my body trying to make sense of what was going on from so many pills being eliminated from my system at once.

I messed up  that reply and wrote right in the middle of your story. Sorry, JustInTime

No worries, sorry you had to go through that as well. Oxycodone withdrawal is also pretty uncomfortable, although I'm assuming that Ativan was probably the worst part of it.

Luckily all of that is in the past and now I have a nice home that I can enjoy after this three and a half years of benzo withdrawal.

• 4 weeks later...
I would prefer being healthy and in jail. Also the counting down seems helpful. If you're sentenced you have a clear time frame you can count down towards, you cannot do that towards benzo healing unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, healthy and in jail would be a better choice as opposed to going through benzo withdrawal again. Honestly I'm pretty sure that anything is better than benzo withdrawal, aside from maybe being burnt alive. Although if you were being burnt alive, that wouldn't last very long and you wouldn't have to suffer endlessly for years and years.

There's a few other things that are almost as severe as benzo withdrawal, like a bad LSD trip. I'm sure there's probably also medical complications that happened naturally in some unlucky people that would mimic benzo withdrawal, like imagine if your brain just had a natural malfunction and got stuck releasing the same chemicals that cause us anxiety and discomfort, that could potentially last even longer than benzo withdrawal.

Anyways long story short, if you were in jail or prison and you were healthy, the biggest inconvenience that you would have is eating crappy food and having to deal with some wannabe tough guys talking crap all day, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. You would simply go to jail, eat your food, take your shower, read some books, associate with some people who made a lot of mistakes and then you would be out of jail and good to go. Unfortunately this isn't that simple when going through benzo withdrawal, because there's no end in sight.

I talked to a nabe who was in federal prison for 10 years and he said the food was good, and it wasn't too bad being in there.  They can even use computers now and surf the web.

That's only half true Beck's blue, they do have internet now, but they don't have good food. They eat the cheapest food that can be grown for the most part, it's not the sweetest apples and grapes that you would pick out at the organic store, it's more like Tangy oranges and those really sour green apples along with fake orange juice made out of a can, stuff like that.

If you're looking to cook organic food with fresh ingredients, it's not going to happen in prison. The reason they have commissary in prison is so that people can buy a bunch of junk food to fill themselves up, because Prison doesn't serve enough. Long story short, the food sucks in jail just as much as it does in the hospital.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, I've considered this predicament many times throughout benzo withdrawal over the last few years. I'm still not sure of anything that could be as bad as benzo withdrawal, other than maybe some really rare neurological disorders.

Even if you went hiking up in the mountains and fell off of a cliff and broke your leg and had to lay there until you died a couple weeks later, it still wouldn't be as bad as benzo withdrawal. It would only be for a couple weeks instead of a few years.

Sure you could get paralyzed and be in a wheelchair for life or maybe not even be able to feed yourself, but I still don't think that would be anywhere near the level of suffering as benzo withdrawal. It would just be a different kind of suffering, like a day in and day out depressed state and I'm sure you would want to go for walks and do all kinds of activities like normal people, only you wouldn't ever be able to.

It's all pretty depressing stuff to think about, but that's the majority of what goes through our heads at the beginning of this process.