Would you rather go to jail or go thru withdrawal?

[Be...]

I got a DUI years ago and spent the night in a freezing cold jail. My cellmates were hookers who laughed to e for crying.

But benzo wd was far worse than that. OMG, benzo wd can bring a strong person to their knees, begging for help.

east

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Ju...]

• [Aj...]

• [Pt...]

I’m pretty sure the people here who would choose withdrawal have no idea how bad withdrawal can be

Trust me I know how bad withdrawl can be. Nauseas. Tired, dizzy, severe headaches and aurora migraines, ear aches, sinus issues, dystonia, body aches, chills, hot flashes, severe sensitivity to noise, bug crawling sensation in head, limbs feel heavy, depression, ocd, benzo rage plus a ton of other symptoms I’ve dealt with. It’s hell but I’d prefer to not be in jail. Just my preference.

Its a bit of an odd question..??!! -Perhaps a version of “is WD the worst thing you have ever been through”..??

If so, then its a NO for me.. -but I doubt many would be rushing to swap discontinuations with me.. 

:(

I often wonder what was worse, My accident, or the fallout from the associated medicines..?? Kinda splitting hairs I guess..

WD is a hard one to even quantify..!!

Interesting reading everyones replies though..

Jail, still a human being there regardless how others treat you.

Wd, you are not a human anymore in all sense and tortured by your own mind and body beyond any mistreat in jail.

At least with gaol you get to know your sentence.  With this thing you don't know how long you're going to be imprisoned.  :o

Imagine being sentenced at court and the judge says, "oh, I don't know how long. Just give it Time." :crazy:

I’m pretty sure the people here who would choose withdrawal have no idea how bad withdrawal can be

100% true without a shadow of a doubt. It's vile whatever, but varies so much. when you can't function and lost connection with everything you love..... plus no windows apart from an hour or two not such madness here and there.

Jail every time

What’s prison like?

Do any of you know?

I do. I spent 7.5 months in county jail (crazy case...took a long time to sort out), then got sent to Department of Corrections for 9 more months. I was sentenced to 2 years, and did 16.5 months total.

I actually dealt with opiate withdrawal while in jail. It was really tough for about a month, then I was basically okay and able to sleep again, considering what I was going through. I wasn't severaly addicted to opiates, but that withdrawal was a walk in the park compared to this one. I have no release date for this hell.

As for which I'd rather endure, I can't really say, because having your literal freedom taken away is a multi-faceted lasting traumatic experience, especially when you only get in trouble once in your life, but this has mentally tested me in ways incarceration never did. It's been so...deeply psychologically disturbing.

I can say that if anything, I've realized I'm a super strong person and can adapt and conquer basically anything, so although this is taking longer than expected, I know I'll get through and past it, no question.

What do women do all day in jail?  I'm curious.  Do they have cliques and fight with each other?

It depends on where you are. My county jail was pretty mellow. I knew a lot of people there. I got a job doing laundry, went to rehab classes, visited the little library, went to church service, played volleyball and basketball...it was easy to do time there. The women were a little cliquey, but nothing major, and nah, there were no real fights. I ended up being the block representative before I was sent down the road to finish my time. It took 7.5 months to sort my case out before I was sentenced; I really worked on myself and made a lot of progress.

When I got to prison down state, it was way more intense. The COs were not nearly as personable as the COs in jail. They initially put you in a sorting facility to figure out where you'll go and what you'll do. I was shuffled around a lot, so as soon as I became remotely comfortable somewhere, I had to pack my bags and go somewhere new. It was very trying on even a strong and friendly person who's able to get along with most. I felt like less of a person and more of an inmate there. Women get into relationships and that's where a lot of trouble starts. You're around people who have done way more severe things than you; I saw a girl who had been on TV for killing a couple with her boyfriend. It was crazy. You keep your nose clean and do your time. Jail is one thing, but prison is another.

The experience drove the "correction" into me so hard that I have PTSD and weird quirks from being institutionalized. I was never in trouble before that happened, and haven't been in trouble since. It was the overall scariest thing I've ever endured. This experience has been more psychologically terrifying, but that experience was overall more terrifying.

I spent one miserable night in jail for a deserved DUI. I passed out behind the wheel, crashed into several street signs, and totaled my car. But I didn't hurt anyone, thank GOD!

The jail was freezing cold. My cell mates wee to 2 hookers who laugh at me for crying and being panicky. No food, no blankets.

My boyfriend somehow got up the money to bail me out the next morning. I sobbed the whole way home.

This was NOT an experience I want to ever repeat.

east

Depends on the country. In first world countries I'd rather serve time than go through acute wd. You can study and go to the gym and when you get out you receive a subsidy.

A very good question...

I think withdrawal has a lot more gifts than going to jail would ever provide. Withdrawal is basically like an opportunity to accelerate self growth at lightening speed and heal yourself on every single level. I know of some people who have had a spiritual awakening from going through withdrawal.

Ian Singleton once said to me that I just had to “do my time” (comparing it to prison) in this, then it will be over.

This is so true. You do not come out of WD the same person as before. Ive changed in so many ways. All for the better. WD is hell dont get me wrong, but I would be lieing if I said nothing good has come from it.

• 2 years later...

HA! This question made me laugh SO HARD. My immediate, in-one-damned-second-without-even-having-to-think-about-it-answer?

BRING ON THEM BARS, BABY!

And anybody who says they would rather go through Benzo withdrawal again over going to jail MUST HAVE HAD AN EASY WITHDRAWAL…because, Dude…NO F*^#ING WAY.

May all beings be free from suffering (even those who would choose BENZO HELL over The Cell Block Tango) 🥰

Neely

xoxo

I’d go to jail for 2 years in like jail in the Netherlands. Also Greenland. I was in jail for two days for simple possession. US jail is 100 percent not the move.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew someone who was in prison for 5 yrs. It's not that nice.

When you get out ño one wants to hire you.

They feed you enough slop to keep you alive.

Why do ppl want to go? I c/t 3 mg of Xanax 11 yrs ago no picnic.

But would NEVER want to be in Prison,  im to9 private and there's NO privacy in prison. It's also noisy.

I can't get a job anyway. I can't leave my bed or listen to music. Reading is hard. I don't ever feel sleepy or hungry. I barely can get enough food to stay alive. In my case jail would be the easier of the two, hands down. If someone told me, "here is a door. If you walk through it you have a 50% chance of death or 50% chance you are completely cured." I would walk through that door.

I would rather go to jail. At least in jail you know when your sentence is over and that it does indeed have an end. With this we have no idea when our sentence is over.

Stitch: I would walk hand in hand thru that door with you.

I agree that you would know when your sentence is over if you went to jail.  I don't know how I'll get out of this prison I'm in, with my damaged CNS.

Before I understood why I was having all these weird/acutely painful symptoms, I replayed a certain scenario over and over in my mind that I knew would get the attention of the authorities....thus, a good possibility of landing in jail.

That stage of this benzo ordeal lasted for a good year. So dwelling on jail/and even a state psychiatric facility was no joke. I look back at that year and cringe.

• 1 month later...
[69...]

Jail, they can have a leg and an arm.

But I'm a lot better these days. There is nothing on this planet that I want or need to go through Benzo Hell again. Immortaly and eternal youth HARD PASS. :)

Would you rather go to jail as a healthy person for years or go through benzo withdrawal for the same amount of time?!