For those that are completely disabled

[Pt...]

I worry about this too. I’ve been off three years and still have periods where I’m debilitated. I applied for disability based on my PTSD and dissociative disorder (I’ve had tons of hospitalizations for it so seems I have enough documentation). Hopefully that will provide a financial safety net.

If it comes to the point where you might need to do that, ample medical documentation of why you are disabled is the key.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Pt...]

• [Aj...]

• [to...]

• [I ...]

In UK you can write an advanced care directive as well otherwise known as a Living Will. It can be added to medical records.

I have a living will. You can do it here too. I hope I don’t have to use it too soon.

I would give your parents POA. If you set up an estate plan through an attorney, (even just an attorney who help you draw up a will) you can make the attorney back-up POA to your parents if they are unable to serve as primary POA. You have to be careful who you give this power to as they can make life/death/financial decisions as though they are you.

Really? Attorneys take on this role?

You can appoint anyone who is suitable, willing to take on this role and who you trust to make decisions for you and in your best interests. You can choose anyone over 18 to be your Power of Attorney, including your lawyer. You can appoint more than one person as your attorney. However, you should choose people who are able to work together. If you appoint more than one person, you can appoint them so they can only make decisions together (jointly) or individually (severally).

Check out this link below...

https://www.legalnature.com/guides/what-happens-if-there-is-no-poa-in-place

A durable power of attorney, while designed as a beneficial tool for a person in need of assistance with financial or medical decisions, is also an invaluable instrument for family members and relatives. It provides for a definite decision making process and allows a trusted person to make those decisions rather than someone the court appoints or a medical staff unfamiliar with the patient’s wishes. It is a vital estate planning tool that every person should consider completing prior to actually needing one.

In UK you can write an advanced care directive as well otherwise known as a Living Will. It can be added to medical records.

I have a living will. You can do it here too. I hope I don’t have to use it too soon.

Is "here", too, meaning UK?  -  I've made suggestions w/instructions for members to include their geographical location(s) on several threads, as I think that's very pertinent information to have here, especially on this community forum, since it is worldwide & medical treatments, prescriptions, alternative treatments & OTC medications vary by country.  -  If anyone wishes to learn, PM me.  It's very simple to do.  Basically, you just insert it on your profile page, in place of a quote, on that line & save/update profile page; that's all.  Another member who I'd reached out to via PM when I saw it under their user name instructed me.

In any event, just learned of this site, to do legal forms yourself (in U.S., anyhow) online & free - for those of us who are housebound-debilitated &/or disabled.  They have Living Will form available, as well as others.  If you don't have attorney, or in shape to conduct this important business, seems like it'd be better than nothing.  This is what I'll be doing (at least, for now.) Link below:

https://www.formstemplates.com/

TOTB = Thanks for the link that you'd left, too.  :thumbsup:

I would give your parents POA. If you set up an estate plan through an attorney, (even just an attorney who help you draw up a will) you can make the attorney back-up POA to your parents if they are unable to serve as primary POA. You have to be careful who you give this power to as they can make life/death/financial decisions as though they are you.

Really? Attorneys take on this role?

Yep and they’ll charge your estate a pretty penny for the effort.