How much room does the pill take up in the solution?

[ha...]

Hi, another dumb question.

I used milk to get from 1mgK to 0.75mg, an am currently on pills for the sake of convenience. Today is my 6th day on this hold dose.

I'm considering switching to vodka instead of milk for the next phase of my taper, to save on milk and use what 80 proof vodka I have and am not drinking anymore, but I have been using syringes to measure out my liquid totals instead of a 100ml cylinder beaker.

If I measure 2ml vodka with a syringe and 98ml water with a syringe, will adding 0.75mgK pill(s) make my total amount more than 100ml? Or can I continue without having to buy a cylinder? I am trying to avoid purchasing more and more things in general.

Finally, this question may have no material effect on my taper because I plan to (for now) use a liquid cut and hold where I'll discard 10 percent of my 0.75mg solution to get a klonopin dose of 0.675mg, and this accuracy is probably not a factor. But I'm curious in case I decide on smaller daily cuts.

Thank you

I don't know the scientific answer to how much room the pill takes up, but I would guess too little to be measured. I never paid any attention to it. I think you'll be fine with continuing to use your syringes. :thumbsup:

I don't know the answer either, but it would be a great experiment if you had a cylinder. You could put the pill in the cylinder, add the 2 mL vodka, then add the 98 mL water. Wait for the pill to deconstruct, and see if the volume is any different in the cylinder. My guess is that the pill would not add appreciably to the volume, and the difference might not be measurable with a 100 mL cylinder.

In fact, now that I think about it, dissolution tests for tablets require putting the tablet in a certain volume of liquid and measuring how much of the drug is dissolved after a certain period of time. The assumption is the tablet does not add to the volume of liquid. So you use the volume of liquid you put the tablet in to calculate the amount of drug that dissolved (volume x concentration = amount). I used to be an analytical chemist for a pharma company analyzing tablets.

For what it's worth, I don't factor in the amount of volume my pills take up. I make a 500 mL solution (25 mL vodka + 475 mL water). I started my taper with 10 pills in 500 mL, and now I'm down to 5 pills. The 500 mL lasts 5 or 6 days, depending on where I am in my taper. As I get lower I use fewer pills in the 500 mL.

Somebody asked me in a PM why I use 25 mL vodka for 2.5 mg benzo when everyone recommends 2 mL vodka for every 1 mg benzo.

I use more vodka simply because I want to cover the pills in the bottle I use with liquid so they fall apart. That's all. I have nothing to say my way is better than another way.