The science of Waves

[Li...]

Remember it's just a theory, it's not proven with any scientific research, but hopefully your psychiatrist will be open to discussion. I'm in Australia but my neurologist is Spanish! I have no answer to the no windows question Boom, perhaps it means that the receptors aren't healed enough yet, idk. When i told him I'd had severe dp/dr and horrible intrusive thoughts and scary stuff he said it was caused by excess glutamate that was released when the stroke happened. That's how we got talking about it all. He also said there is research linking glutamate with anxiety. I know that NAC is supposed to help with glutamate but I'm too scared to take it.

Southern star this is such a coincidence!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [va...]

• [...]

• [Pt...]

[47...]
That's a funny coincidence LOL! It's weird how Dr's get threatened when we find stuff out for ourselves, you'd think they'd be glad we're taking responsibility for our health. I guess they feel their power base is under siege when really every interaction with a Dr should be collaborative. Good luck with it! I'll be interested to hear what he thinks of it.

Me too Southern! If you remember and if you feel like it, you might want to ask your doctor if hidroxizine is ok in withdrawal. It's an antihistamine. I take it when my anxiety is up the roof.

In acute it did nothing but now that I'm better it does help, and it's a blessing.

Southern star- this glutamate explanation  is exactly the same as what I’ve read here on BB when I first joined. It’s why prominent buddies recommended daily MT- to minimize glutamate toxicity. Doesn’t necessarily avoid glutamate release, just decreases it.

Southern star- this glutamate explanation  is exactly the same as what I’ve read here on BB when I first joined. It’s why prominent buddies recommended daily MT- to minimize glutamate toxicity. Doesn’t necessarily avoid glutamate release, just decreases it.

What's MT?

What's MT?

Micro taper  :)

Thx Mary. That could explain why my cns is fried. I essentially CT

You were on for such a short time, many people would have done the same thing.  Your brain and central nervous system must have been very sensitive.  This is not your fault at all.  We just never seem to have the knowledge we need, because so often the Dr doesn't.  Hold on.  Mary.  Have you read the Post Withdrawal Support Group?  Sorry if it's a dumb question, just wish I had a way to help.

I love Sofa on the Four Phases Group.  That is a great group too.

To have information and knowledge is good but how does any of it help us? We need some solutions to our suffering. Sometimes time is not the ideal healer. When you break your leg you can’t just rely on time. You need to put the leg in a cast, then do some physio etc. Time heals the leg but you have to support the healing.

Yes. And we don’t know what that would be, because the research is so limited. What works for one person seems to injure another. It’s amazing what we do know, given how little help there has been institutionally. It’s why it’s so important for people not to state things definitively. There have been several points in my interaction with BB that I have been convinced by advice on a thread that has led to a bad outcome for me. It’s no ones fault, but it adds to the frustration. At times I feel like, and a doctor for the Alliance voices this, that because so many of us have given up on our doctors, they do not actually know how we are now. They are not accruing that knowledge or data. Because we (often) don’t go to them except to get our meds, or at all after we’ve jumped. And why should we as individuals? But there is a divorce between us and doctors. And there is no or extremely little connection between us and researchers. Why there hasn’t been a second treatment center since Ashton to monitor patient response to treatment is one of benzolife’s enduring mysteries. :). It’s good to hear some people are having constructive discussions with their doctors.

You were on for such a short time, many people would have done the same thing.  Your brain and central nervous system must have been very sensitive.  This is not your fault at all.  We just never seem to have the knowledge we need, because so often the Dr doesn't.  Hold on.  Mary.  Have you read the Post Withdrawal Support Group?  Sorry if it's a dumb question, just wish I had a way to help.

thx mary <3 yup. i believe my brain and CNS is extremely sensitive. i dont even know what sensitive means anymore in this context, but i guess if a word could bring more logic to this situation, i'll use it. i live on the post withdrawal support group lol. i haven't tried the four phases group though, will check that out.

i definitely believed what the psychiatrist and pharmacist said about not being hooked. pharmacist said "you won't get addicted to 0.5mg xanax for 6 months". psychiatrist said "we'll taper you off in a month". well all of that SOUNDED like a good plan and reasonable. i should've known better.

thx mary <3 yup. i believe my brain and CNS is extremely sensitive. i dont even know what sensitive means anymore in this context, but i guess if a word could bring more logic to this situation, i'll use it. i live on the post withdrawal support group lol. i haven't tried the four phases group though, will check that out.

i definitely believed what the psychiatrist and pharmacist said about not being hooked. pharmacist said "you won't get addicted to 0.5mg xanax for 6 months". psychiatrist said "we'll taper you off in a month". well all of that SOUNDED like a good plan and reasonable. i should've known better.

None of us would have known better :(.  I hope things calm down and the short time you were on them finally comes into play.  Keep me posted okay?

PTSD - unfortunately, 1.5 mo of daily use is not considered short-term.  That is how long I was on K before trying to get off and I was already dependent.  Short term use is really 2 wks and maybe for some ppl, 4 wks.  But not 6 wks.  Once dependent, it doesn't matter if you were on for 6 wks or 6 yrs, the damage is done and needs to be repaired and all we have for that right now is time.  The benefit of shorter term use is to avoid dependency, but if and once it occurs, the length of use seems to be irrelevant when it comes to healing.

Greek - yes, something more than time as treatment would be welcome by all here.  But that's all we know right now. Not b/c there may not be something else. But that's all we know right now.  Buddies talk abt a lot of other things but we don't have studies on them in BWS.

Given that there are so many of us, yes, I agree, I don't understand why there isn't a study, center, institution trying to learn more. I would think some academic center would be interested in learning and understanding BWS given that it would be fairly "new" to the literature....and it is NOT rare at all - they could literally study tens of thousands of people or more.