Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Are different size and brands of syringes accurate with each other?

[jo...]

I have a 60 ml syringe and a 10 ml syringe that I don't think are accurate with each other.  As an experiment I used the 60 ml syringe to fill a jar to 100 ml and then used the 10 ml syringe to empty the jar only to keep coming up 3 ml short.  I have tried this several times to be sure I was not making an error, but the results keep coming up the same.  It never accrued to me that the ml marking on syringes could vary from one syringe to another. 

I use a combination of pills and a DLMT using vodka as a solvent for my taper.  I use the smaller syringe for the vodka and the larger syringe for the water.  I have come too far in this taper to mess it up now, so should I be using the same syringe for both the vodka and the water to make sure the measurements are the same?  If so, then should I be using the same syringe to take my daily dose?

Thanks for any insight on this matter. 

[2f...]

I doubt if most syringes are better than 5% accurate, so your 3ml error doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm guessing you can learn the relationship between your 10 and 60 ml syringes so that you can use both of them effectively (I think you've already done that, actually).  Or you could just use one syringe for all measurements.  I think either approach should work.

I doubt if most syringes are better than 5% accurate, so your 3ml error doesn't surprise me at all.

And 5% variation is probably is probably more consistent than your tablets were anyway. 

A DLMT is NOT about making precise accurate reduction, its about making gradual reductions.