Tales Of Corporate Painkiller Pushing: 'The Death Rates Just Soared'

[Fi...]

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/08/22/753114950/tales-of-corporate-painkiller-pushing-the-death-rates-just-soared

On the Justice Department's history of fining drug companies instead of filing criminal charges

"[investigators at the DEA's Office of Diversion Control] started to see a pattern, and it's a pattern that they see that continues to this day, that there are people within the Justice Department who are not very aggressive when it comes to these cases. They feel that some of them are a little too close to the industry; that maybe some of the people in the Justice Department want to work for the industry one day, so they don't go as hard against these companies as perhaps they should. ... If you take a look at the revolving door between the Justice Department, the DEA and the drug industry, it's a very impressive revolving door. You have dozens and dozens of high-ranking officials from the DEA and from the Justice Department who have crossed over to the other side and they're now working directly for the industry or for law firms representing the industry. So if you're a DEA investigator or a DEA lawyer or a Justice Department lawyer making $150,000 a year, you cross over and you can triple, quadruple your salary overnight."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/08/22/753114950/tales-of-corporate-painkiller-pushing-the-death-rates-just-soared

On the Justice Department's history of fining drug companies instead of filing criminal charges

"[investigators at the DEA's Office of Diversion Control] started to see a pattern, and it's a pattern that they see that continues to this day, that there are people within the Justice Department who are not very aggressive when it comes to these cases. They feel that some of them are a little too close to the industry; that maybe some of the people in the Justice Department want to work for the industry one day, so they don't go as hard against these companies as perhaps they should. ... If you take a look at the revolving door between the Justice Department, the DEA and the drug industry, it's a very impressive revolving door. You have dozens and dozens of high-ranking officials from the DEA and from the Justice Department who have crossed over to the other side and they're now working directly for the industry or for law firms representing the industry. So if you're a DEA investigator or a DEA lawyer or a Justice Department lawyer making $150,000 a year, you cross over and you can triple, quadruple your salary overnight."

yup. and it's the same with benzos. one day they will shut down the opiod clinics and then they'll come after the other addictive drugs, like benzos. i just hope i'm completely tapered off before they do it.

yup. and it's the same with benzos. one day they will shut down the opiod clinics and then they'll come after the other addictive drugs, like benzos. i just hope i'm completely tapered off before they do it.

I disagree. Benzos are a different class of drugs than opiates and unless used with opiates, alcohol and similar drugs usually are not life threatening though they may have other long term disabling effects, as do other medications.

There currently is a trend among U.S. states for patients to enter into "Controlled Substance Use Agreements" before benzos are prescribed and I expect that to continue.

I disagree. Benzos are a different class of drugs than opiates and unless used with opiates, alcohol and similar drugs usually are not life threatening though they may have other long term disabling effects, as do other medications.

There currently is a trend among U.S. states for patients to enter into "Controlled Substance Use Agreements" before benzos are prescribed and I expect that to continue.

what precisely did  i say that you disagree with?

i agreed with the quote from the article you posted. i also said they're gonna come after the benzos after they finish coming after the oipioids. and that i hope i'm off them before it happens. so what was the part you disagreed with exactly?

what precisely did  i say that you disagree with?

i agreed with the quote from the article you posted. i also said they're gonna come after the benzos after they finish coming after the oipioids. and that i hope i'm off them before it happens. so what was the part you disagreed with exactly?

I disagree with, "...one day they will shut down the opiod clinics and then they'll come after the other addictive drugs, like benzos. i just hope i'm completely tapered off before they do it."

I brought up the subject of "Controlled Substance Use Agreements" as a more likely scenario than the fear you described for the prohibition of the prescribing of benzos and other controlled substances.

Many potentially dangerous activities and substances are appropriately being regulated through the use of education, licensing, and monitoring. For example: operating motor vehicles, flying aircraft, scuba diving, hunting, fishing and the safe use of controlled substances should and do require adequate education, licensing and appropriate monitoring.

The rights and responsibility for individuals to safely engage in these activities and uses are successfully being protected and monitored in many U.S. states and I expect that to continue. 

I hope that answers your question. best wishes

Thank you, Fi.

This paragraph, indeed, sums it all up: [investigators at the DEA's Office of Diversion Control] started to see a pattern, and it's a pattern that they see that continues to this day, that there are people within the Justice Department who are not very aggressive when it comes to these cases. They feel that some of them are a little too close to the industry; that maybe some of the people in the Justice Department want to work for the industry one day, so they don't go as hard against these companies as perhaps they should. ... If you take a look at the revolving door between the Justice Department, the DEA and the drug industry, it's a very impressive revolving door. You have dozens and dozens of high-ranking officials from the DEA and from the Justice Department who have crossed over to the other side and they're now working directly for the industry or for law firms representing the industry. So if you're a DEA investigator or a DEA lawyer or a Justice Department lawyer making $150,000 a year, you cross over and you can triple, quadruple your salary overnight.

Of course it's all about money and making certain that their next job is very lucrative at the expense of people's lives.