I think I am tapering to fast, HELP!!!

[md...]

I recently switched from Klonopin .5 mg to Valium 8 mg. My Dr had me to 50/50 for one week before making the switch. I did .25 K and 5mg V, Then I started at 8 mg V and started tapering 1 mg per 7 to 10 days. I am down to six and have been feeling terribly ill. I sleep 2 to 3 hours and have been bed bound. I'm not sure if I should increase my Valium and then start a slower taper or what could help me at this point..

My Doctor wants me to start taking Wellbutrin or an SSRI with a sleeping med like Amitripuline thinking it will help me? I am scared of adding another prescription. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry you are feeling so bad, but I am not surprised. 1mg of Klonopin is = to 20mg of Valium. .5mg would be = to 10mg of Valium. I think he should have upped your Valium to at least 10mg. I then think you crossed over too fast and now you are tapering too fast.

It would be a good idea to talk to the Dr. and ask to have him increase it. Does he know about the Ashton Manuel? If not, hopefully he would be open to reading it.

You also need to sit and stabilize before starting a taper.

How long have you been on the Klonopin? Either way, it is too fast and you are really not  covered with Valium at that dose.

I hope I made some sense and hopefully other BB will chime in.

That is why you are feeling so bad and I am sorry. I am hoping you can get things worked out where you get off to a good start and minimize any un due suffering.

My equivalent calculator says that .5 of K is equal to 8 mg valium.  I'm not sure about the actual crossover aspect.

But, I do think that dropping 1 mg every 7-10 days is kind of steep for sure.  It's recommended to taper only 5% to 10% every 10 - 14 days.  So, at 8 mg, that would be a reduction of .4 (5%) or .8 (10%) every 10-14 days.

Maybe you can hold where you are and your body will catch up to it and then begin tapering 5% or 10% of the 6 mg you're taking now, .3 mg or .6 mg during the 10-14 days.  If you don't improve, I believe it's just fine to updose back to 8 mg and go slower.

As far as adding an anti-depressant, I wouldn't want to do that either.

I wish you the best and trust you'll feel better soon.

My equivalent calculator says that .5 of K is equal to 8 mg valium.  I'm not sure about the actual crossover aspect.

What calculator is that?  Can you share a link or a source.  Not saying its wrong, but its certainly not in synch with most sources.

Builder, I’m not answering for him... but I believe he means this website: https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/

I have used this site before, I find variances in multiple different sites but the majority does have the same conversion of 1mg = 20. This site says 15. I don’t worry about it much right now since I’m still tapering and kind of going by symptom base... but it is odd that it’s the first site to show up if .. especially if the information is misleading... it does show the range of up to 20mg when they show the range of the dose though... So who knows

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think my Dr thought since I have been on lower dose of klonopin before switching to Valium, that I would be okay, but I have not and not sure what to do. I can try remaining on the 6mg, but I wake every night after 3 hours with rapid heart beat and hand tremors that do not let up and keep me up. Maybe it's best to go back up to 8mg? I just hope it's not to late and that I am in either tolerance or PWS?

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think my Dr thought since I have been on lower dose of klonopin before switching to Valium, that I would be okay, but I have not and not sure what to do. I can try remaining on the 6mg, but I wake every night after 3 hours with rapid heart beat and hand tremors that do not let up and keep me up. Maybe it's best to go back up to 8mg? I just hope it's not to late and that I am in either tolerance or PWS?

I’m not sure about crossovers and stuff. But I would probably sit on the higher dose for a while. I think people who crossover usually tapering off one med while being on the other, or wait once they switch. Not sure if that’s needed because like I said... I’ve never done that. I CAN SAY that many psychologist and doctors ( not all ) do not know or believe the conversion numbers. Mine sure as hell didn’t when I told her . But I have zero problems getting meds and she knows I’m coming off so im staying put