Klonopin Taper Plan

[Th...]

I don’t notice a difference with anxiety levels. I just have been taking it habitually twice a day at 0.5 mg each since that’s what I have been doing the last few months.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [Pa...]

• [Br...]

• [da...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t notice a difference with anxiety levels. I just have been taking it habitually twice a day at 0.5 mg each since that’s what I have been doing the last few months.

If it’s not doing anything, it may mean you don’t need it. The Buspar being a much safer alternative long term. Taking the K, as needed, I would assume no more than twice a week. Be careful if you have been on 1mg, daily, for 3 months. I would think there would still be some tapering involved if you decide to quit the K.

I eventually want to quit the K in the future. But I feel as if I still haven’t gotten the full benefits of Prozac since taking 60 mg consistently since august. I will be starting 80 mg of Prozac tomorrow along with taking buspar 3 x a day instead of 2 x a day and the klonopin as needed. The only time I truly felt a benzo hit me was when I took 2 mg of Xanax after I had a severe panic attack. I will take the k if I feel any symptoms of a panic attack arising. I’m also thinking if I my experience withdrawal symptoms if I don’t need to take it for say a week or longer even though I really didn’t feel any different while I was taking it consistently.

Aren’t the effects of klonopin supposed to be similar to that of being drunk? Less anxiety, more sociably, etc. ?

Nope......  K is long acting and acts in a different manner.  With K.....there is no buzz, which presents its own set of problems.  My experience (over years) is this longer acting K builds in the system,  memory is affected, personality changes, balance affected, tears may come out of nowhere, etc......  Regardless of the benzo.... by "popping" them they tend to become your emotions.  Anxious ? - pop a benzo.  Confidence ? - Pop a benzo.  Going to a funeral ? Pop a benzo..... 

"prn" is how I got here......

Are you currently taking K as PRN or tapering off? I haven’t taken K for 24 hours and will only pop if I feel anxious as my doc informed me. When do withdrawal symptoms usually arise?

The beginning of my symptoms started late on day 3, I'm not sure if or when you'll feel symptoms.  Klonopin has a half life of 30 to 40 hours which means it will take that long for half of the drug to leave your body.  Depending on your dose, it could take a week or two to be cleared entirely from your system.

The beginning of my symptoms started late on day 3, I'm not sure if or when you'll feel symptoms.  Klonopin has a half life of 30 to 40 hours which means it will take that long for half of the drug to leave your body.  Depending on your dose, it could take a week or two to be cleared entirely from your system.

I see, hopefully I can go symptom free for two weeks without having to take the K to alleviate possible withdrawal symptoms of possible rebound anxiety or potential panic attacks. It’s not as if I mentally crave to take klonopin I was just taking it habitually as prescribed.

Are you currently taking K as PRN or tapering off? I haven’t taken K for 24 hours and will only pop if I feel anxious as my doc informed me. When do withdrawal symptoms usually arise?

Ashton's equivalencies are fairly accurate. I will attest to her work.

1 mg K = 20 mg V. 

.5 mg K = 10 mg V.........do 'ya see the problem ??

For me (very long term user)....w/d originally started after 5 - 7 days.  Most recently......w/d had been non stop for 7 months. Please look at my signature.  With all due respect, stay away from K.  If you're a short term user - get off this poison while it's still simple.

This will be a good experiment to see if you're going to be one of us, who suffer from withdrawals or one of the lucky ones who don't seem to have a problem discontinuing this drug, I hope it's the latter for you.

Pay close attention though, if you start to feel any of the symptoms in the Ashton manual outlined here, you may want to get back on the Klonopin. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Once withdrawals start, its difficult to get them stopped without updosing, so the longer you suffer, the harder it will be to get stable again.  If this happens to you, and you decide you'd like to taper off, let us know, we can help.

Edit: Rephrased suggestion

1 mg K = 20 mg V. 

For me (very long term user)....w/d originally started after 5 - 7 days.  Most recently......w/d had been non stop for 7 months. Please look at my signature.  With all due respect, stay away from K.  If you're a short term user - get off this poison while it's still simple.

i see k is more potent that v. I’ve been taking the k for 6 months would that be considered long term?

This will be a good experiment to see if you're going to be one of us, who suffer from withdrawals or one of the lucky ones who don't seem to have a problem discontinuing this drug, I hope it's the latter for you.

Pay close attention though, if you start to feel any of the symptoms in the Ashton manual outlined here, get back on the Klonopin. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Once withdrawals start, its difficult to get them stopped without updosing, so the longer you suffer, the harder it will be to get stable again.  If this happens to you, and you decide you'd like to taper off, let us know, we can help.

thank you for the advice. If I choose to taper it would be 10 % every week?

1 mg K = 20 mg V. 

i see k is more potent that v. I’ve been taking the k for 6 months would that be considered long term?

The manufacturers usually suggest only using these drugs for between 2-4 weeks, so 6 months is enough time for your body to develop a dependence.

Pay close attention though, if you start to feel any of the symptoms in the Ashton manual outlined here, get back on the Klonopin. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

We suggest going slow, between 5-10% every week to 10 days, but it depends on how your body is handling it, if it's too rough, people slow it down.

We suggest going slow, between 5-10% every week to 10 days, but it depends on how your body is handling it, if it's too rough, people slow it down.

i see, I jumped around from 2 mg a day all the way down to 0.5 mg a day. I have been consistently taking 1 mg for about the last 3 months. My doc keeps telling me this is a small amount and I should not worry as there are some of his patients that take 8 mg per day.

Having my Dr tell me that he's prescribing 8 mgs a day to some of his patients wouldn't exactly reassure me.  :o  Can you tell me if you experienced any symptoms when you went from 2 mgs to .5?  If not, then maybe you won't get any now, you may be one of the lucky ones.

Having my Dr tell me that he's prescribing 8 mgs a day to some of his patients wouldn't exactly reassure me.  :o  Can you tell me if you experienced any symptoms when you went from 2 mgs to .5?  If not, then maybe you won't get any now, you may be one of the lucky ones.

no I can’t recall any symptoms from dropping down

So it was about 36 hours since my last 0.5 of k. Woke up with headache and feeling like my body was going to start shaking, took 0.5 mg.

I'm so sorry to hear this.  :(  Can we help?

i feel better now, also dealing with a slight cold may also played a part in it. Went back to bed within 30 min still have a slight headache nothing major. Gonna try my best to withhold taking any k today.  ;D

It sounds like a good idea to find out for sure if it's a cold or withdrawals, but please, if you begin to suspect the Klonopin of making you feel ill, don't delay in getting on a stable dose.  Our brains like predictability and ripping it on and off the drug will only cause you pain and make it harder to get stable again without going up in dose.  It's best to either stay on the drug at a consistent dose, or taper slowly off of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all so I’m back. After taking my psychiatrist’s suggestion and taking klonopin prn i had a panic attack while working out at the gym. I took 1 mg of klonopin. I saw my doc last night at approximately 11:00 PM when I had an appointment scheduled at 10:00 PM. There have been numerous times I had to wait 3-4 hours to see this guy and have rescheduled due to the wait time. I informed him of my panic attack and he informs me the buspar should kick in within a few weeks. I have been taking klonopin as follow since 11/30:

11/30

- take klonopin as needed took only 0.5

12/1

- none

12/2

- 3:08 aM took 0.5 felt headache and almost having the shakes

12/3

- 1 mg

- Panic attack lasted about hour

12/4

- took 1 mg of klonopin at 2:40

12/5

-  0.5 mg 7:58 am

- 0.5 mg 5:00 pm

12/6

- 0.5 mg 3:00 pm

12/7

- none

12/8

- 0.5 mg klonopin 11:07 pm

12/9

- 0.5 mg 5:03 am

- 0.5 mg 1:45 pm

12/10

- 0.5 mg 11:50am

12/11

- 0.5 mg 2:40 pm

- 0.5 mg 6:00 pm

12/12

- none

12/13

- 0.5 mg 7:15 AM

- 0.5 mg 3:37 pm

12/14

- none

I haven’t taken any klonopin for about 44 hours. I’m in the process of looking for a new doc. Right now i just have a slight headache and ringing in my ears when it’s quiet. Should i try to taper off and just continue prn?

I’m also in the search for a new doctor.

Hi Thatguy19,

I'm sorry to see you back, but glad you know where to find help.  I have a couple of questions, have your panic attacks increased in frequency, duration and intensity since you were put on Klonopin?  My reason for asking this is, once our bodies become dependent on the drug, it actually exacerbates the original condition we were put on it for.  If the answer is yes, then you've made your decision to taper off of it, since it's not helping and most certainly hurting.

Also, taking the drug as needed is great, except for the fact that you're taking it almost every day.  Taking as needed should be once every few weeks or months for it to be an effective short term solution.  In my opinion, you're going to start feeling a lot worse in the next few days, so I would go back to your dose and take it daily so as not to confuse your brain anymore than it already is, brains like consistency.  But if you want to taper off, I still feel you should go back to your dose, take it a few more days to get stable, then start a slow taper.

It's totally your call and we'll support you whatever you decide to do.

Pamster