Mirtazapine withdrawal

[ev...]

I am going to keep a log about the withdrawal from Mirtazapine I am experiencing now that I am completely off the drug. Hopefully, my experience may help others. One significant difference between what is happening to me from others getting off this drug is the massive dose (90mgs daily) I was on for a year and the speed at which I came off it. In my case there was little point in reducing the drug dosage slowly as to keep me from getting withdrawal symptoms as I was already experiencing nasty pinging, nauseating sensations throughout my body. They are now worse but not significantly worse than when I was on over 60mgs just over a week ago. So the discontinuation as the psychiatrist puts it is unsurprisingly severe.

The psychiatrist tried to keep me on 67.5mgs for a few weeks in the hope that my condition would stabilise and I could stay on Mirtazapine. I went along with this and took Lyrica to alleviate the symptoms. But it didn't work. It just made me dopey. Lyrica has a reputation for being addictive so I was I not at all keen to persist with it a day longer than necessary.

Have a nice day.

Ivan.

In addition to these sensations now that I am not taking Mirtazapine at night sleep is very limited. I am waking very early and as the aching is so severe I have got up at 5 the last two mornings.

Thankfully the stomach upset has gone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ev...]

• [Da...]

• [Po...]

• [Fo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

It is one day further on in what is continuing to be a nightmarish experience. My body continues to ache. But now without the drug I realise how dependent I was on it to maintain sleep even if the massive dose did cause me difficulties getting to sleep. This morning I was awake before 3 and decided to get up as I was suffering so much aching and there was little chance of getting back to sleep.

Psychologically, this situation is very hard to deal with as no matter how much others try to reassure me, as long as there is no sign of improvement the fear that this is permanent will be in my head.

I went along with the huge doses of medication the psychiatrist prescribed for me because of the depth of depression I had gone through. From now on, however, before I agree to take anything I am going to ensure that I am fully informed by the psychiatrist about the drugs I am taking and their potential for this kind of reaction down the track.

Please if anyone has any words of reassurance I would really appreciate reading them. This is so hard because I am doing this alone at home. My wife tries to be supportive but she doesn't understand the severity of these symptoms.

I am tempted to go to the pharmacy and get the Zopiclone tablets the psychiatrist prescribed a while ago in case I found it hard to sleep on the trip we had planned to take before all this started. But I have decided not to as I fear adding an addictive drug to what is already an awful situation.

Hopefully the next time I post there may be some small sign that things will improve.

Thanks for reading this.

Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

You're going to be ok eventually. Just be thankful your stomach is ok. I had a brutal withdrawal from this drug and lost a lot of weight. It's what led to the Clonazepam usage. Don't get the Zopiclone and fall into the same trap I did. If you cannot take it anymore, you can try to reinstate a small amount of the Remeron. Your nervous system is going to be very sensitive, so it would need to be a very small dosage. But if you can avoid doing that, you'll be better off in the long run.

Sleep is a tough one. It will probably be rough for awhile, but if you can use meditation or some relaxation techniques, these might help ease the tension a bit. Anxiety will probably be a strong symptom of withdrawal due to the heavy duty sedative effect of the drug. At lower doses it is good for sleep and maybe as an anti-emetic, but not much else.

Please continue to update and we will try and help as best we can.

Thanks very much for your reply and the encouragement Data_Guy. I got very down this morning as I realised that even though Mirtazapine was a problem for getting to sleep on high doses, my system had been relying on it to maintain my sleep. I don't want to take the Zopiclone. If I call the psychiatrist, I am almost certain that's what he'll suggest. So I am just going to try to tough it out.

One psychological issue for me is that if I google Remeron recovery I come across some horror stories. I guess I have to tell myself that everyone is an individual and reacts in ways different to others.

Bye for now and thanks again.

Ivan.

Another day on! I managed to get some sleep last night. This was important for me as I was scared that the removal of the Mirtazapine so quickly would make sleep very difficult. The aching continues. Having been through three months of the impact of benzodiazepine withdrawal as recently as the end of last year, this experience is hard to take. I just never realised that antidepressants come with their own withdrawal/discontinuation issues.

Having been through this I am going to be unwilling to get another antidepressant even though my psychiatrist maintains I need to be on one to protect me from the forces of depression.

That is great to hear, Ivan. I think you may find a lot of your issues could be due to the medications once you get over the withdrawal. Long term use of these can cause neuropsychiatric disorders, but these are mostly only recognized in theory rather than practice. No doctor will ever tell you that they think an antidepressant is making your health or depression worse, but they are well known to have that capability. The problem is that the symptoms caused by the antidepressant induced disorder begin very slowly and subtly, so that neither the user, their doctor or their family would recognize it. They can also just sort of blend in with the organic depression. All very insidious.

Thanks very much for you response data_guy. I believe you are right about all the issues I am experiencing. With what you have told me and what I researched on the internet I now understand that the problem was that I was taking an extremely high dose of a drug with a short half life. So even cutting it for a really short time meant that my brain suddenly found that the Mirtazapine which it had become dependent on was no longer there in the amounts it was used to and it reacted. Even though the dose was restored it was too late. An attempt to stabilise the dose at a lower level didn't work either. This change along with taking Lyrica to alleviate the symptoms only resulted in a recognition that recovery would only come once I was off the drug. But now the issue is that I came off a huge dosage at a very fast rate. So my brain has to adjust and, as you say, that will take time - maybe even a lot of time.

Now that I know all of this I have come to the conclusion that I will never allow myself to get into a situation where I am on one of these drugs with a short half life again and I will resist being on such ridiculously high doses. The psychiatrist wants me to go on Pristiq which is an updated form of venlafaxine (Effexor) which can be even worse than Mirtazapine for withdrawal symptoms.

I do accept given my history of depression that a drug is probably needed. I made the decision to be drug free once before and depression returned and very severely.

I am going to ask if a more slow acting SSRI could be a good idea on a relatively low dose. In spite of my aching I am in good spirits and am quite well. Hence I think your idea of an extended period drug free would be good for my body as it needs time to recover from this and will then be in a better condition to adjust to a new drug.

If anyone reading this has had positive experiences will a particular SSRI I would appreciate some information. I took a high dose of Lexapro last year. Unfortunately it gave me stomach aches which meant I had to get off which - unlike Mirtazapine - I succeeded in doing with no discernible effects.

The problem with all of us in a situation like this is that until the symptoms start to subside it is difficult to have absolute faith that wellness will eventually come.

That's why this site is so good because people like you data_guy give up you time to provide encouragement.

Bye for now. I will keep on updating you as this process plays out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone,

It is now two weeks since I took my last tablet of Mirtazapine. Things have not changed for me in that time. I still ache throughout my body, and my sleep is extremely limited. I also have stomach aches from time to time.

I still think I didn't really have any alternative but to get off this massive amount of thr drug as soon as I could. No matter what was done to stabilise the dosage my body ached and ached.

The concern now is that there is absolutely no sign that things are going to improve. I have read so much that says that one should taper slowly. And what I have done is the complete opposite. I have gone from a massive dose to 0 in a very short time. This leads me to fear that I'm going to face a protracted period of withdrawal.

I'm finding this terribly difficult experience. My life is on hold. I try to do normal things like going out to the football, leading classes at the University of the Third Age and doing some voluntary work at the library. I really want to continue doing all of this but the lack of sleep and the constant aching just is going to make this very difficult.

If anyone has any words of encouragement that would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

I have read on the internet that in the case of severe withdrawal symptoms from one antidepressant, a switch to a drug such as Prozac with a long half life could help alleviate the symptoms and achieve that outcome fairly quickly. As my psychiatrist is planning to put me on this drug once (or rather if) my symptoms improve and finally go away, it may be a good idea to give this a go.

I am seeing him today to discuss this.

If anyone has a viewpoint on this, I would like to know your opinion.

Ivan.

This is an update on what has happened since I posted over a week ago. I saw the psychiatrist on Tuesday we discussed taking Prozac in the hope that it might alleviate the symptoms of my withdrawal from Mirtazapine. However after three days of stomach cramps, I decided I would have to stop the Prozac.

The psychiatrist also prescribed Zopiclone for me. By last Monday night I had got to a point where I was getting very little interrupted sleep and waking up in the middle of the night to psychological and physical torture. The Zopiclone has given me reasonably good sleep. I'm taking 7.5 mg each night.

I have decided I'm going to continue to take the Zopiclone at this or possibly even a higher level in order to keep me sane while I'm recovering from the impact of such a dramatic withdrawal from Mirtazapine.

This means that I'm almost certainly going to get addicted to it. Imweighed things up in my mind and came to the conclusion that I just have to accept this. otherwise I'm likely to fall into deep depression given the level of aching that is pervading my body at the moment.

Therefore the question I want to ask is which drugs is easier to get off: Zopiclone or Mogadon. I have successfully got off Mogadon in the past so I'm confident that I would be able to do so in the future. I read somewhere that Zopiclone is actually more addictive than benzodiazepines but then I read on other sites that in fact it's less likely to cause addiction so I'm a bit confused.

The pain from my Mirtazapine withdrawl is intense and shows absolutely no sign of going away so the psychological challenge is to do everything I can to cope with that. And sleep is the most important element in this survival campaign of mine.

If anyone's got any idea about which drug I would be only too happy to go to the psychiatrist and get a change of prescription.

Best wishes

Evertonfan.

Another question is: Can anyone let me know how long this Mirtazapine withdrawal is going to last? I am now 2 and a half weeks in from taking my last tablet. I came down from 90mgs over a month but the last part from 67.5 mgs lasted only eight days. The psychiatrist talks about three months but I imagine it could be longer. Of course, the quicker my withdrawal symptoms subside, the quicker I can get working on withdrawing from the Zopiclone.

Evertofan: you have tapered so fast Id almost call it a CT withdrawal. We are all different but thats lots of mirtazapine to get off of in such a short time. Ive been tapering for weeks to get off 7.5mg. Before that I tapered from 15mg to 7.5 over a long period. My withdrawal symptoms have never stopped during my taper. They do ease up when I hold at a dose for a while. Curretnly I am at 2.6mg and I am going to take 2 cuts, 3 weeks each to get to 1.875 and hold there for a while before finally getting off for good. All that said I think youd be in less misery if you would slow down

Pokey

The problem in my case, Pokey, is that no matter what the psychiatrist did I had the same symptoms. He tried returning me to the maximum dose. He kept my lower dose for about 10 days. And then he decided that the best thing to do would be to get me off it entirely. It was only then that I visited sites which indicated that that was completely the wrong way to go about withdrawing from such a powerful drug.

I talked to the psychiatrist about this. He agreed that we had not followed the textbook about how to get off Mirtazapine. However he felt there was no point in keeping me on something that was making me so unwell. He is an experienced psychiatrist with a lot of clinical knowledge to back up his decision.

I have now been off Mirtazapine for nearly 4 weeks. I would say that maybe there has been a slight dimunition in the symptoms. However, this could be because I am now sleeping a lot better than immediately after I stopped taking the drug.

In order to sleep I am now taking a combination of zopiclone and Endep which is a tricyclic antidepressant with similar properties to mirtazapine. It acts in the same way on the brain so it is in fact an older version of an SNRI. I'm only taking 10 mg and it does appear to help me to sleep. It has the added benefit of encouraging me to gradually get off the zopiclone before I am addicted to it. I am now down to 5 mg a night from 10 mg and hope to reduce it to 0 fairly soon.

My big fear is that by reintroducing and antidepressants I am holding up my body's recovery from the impact of the Mirtazapine at such a high dose.

I have been on another website called surviving antidepressants and they kept calling for me to reinstate the Mirtazapine. In a way I have done this by taking this very small dose of Endep which I may be on for quite some time.

I became very downhearted last Sunday to the point where I just had to go and see a doctor to talk to her and I rang up life line . Since I've been able to get more sleep in the last few days even though the pain is still nauseating and unpleasant, I am able to cope a little better.

Everyone I talk to whether it be on site like these or doctors or psychiatrists all tell me that I will get better. I know that I can survive extremely difficult withdrawal symptoms because I did last year when I got off Ativan. The difference was that I knew that benzodiazepine withdrawal has an end point. I didn't know anything about the possibility of antidepressants withdrawal symptoms before I got them  and until that is a sign even if it is a very small sign I am going to be worried but this is going to go on for ever.

I hope I did the right thing by agreeing to take the Endep. It is working for my sleep and it doesn't appear to upset my stomach like Mogadon did when I took it for a short time this week instead of the Zopiclone. It's just the worry I have that it is going to stop me from fully recovering from the withdrawal.

I really do appreciate the opportunity to come on this site because people do offer hope – something I really need at the moment.

Regards,

Ivan.

It is now 4 and 1/2 weeks since I came off Mirtazapine after a very swift withdrawal. I have been assured that I will eventually recover by both my psychiatrist and my GP. However, both say they have not encountered these severe withdrawal symptoms with Mirtazapine before.

In order to get any sleep I am taking two half tablets of 7.5mg Zopiclone (one before bed and another around 1am). It - along with 20mgs of Endep another antidepressant - is giving me sufficient sleep. But my symptoms show no signs of improving - weird, nauseating sensations throughout my body and the occasional gastro disturbance (like today) for which I take Gastrostop.

I have been told that the Zopiclone and Endep should not destabilise my body in a way which would compromise my recovery from the sudden cessation of Mirtazapine. I am also concerned about the potential side effects of Endep and I fear becoming dependent on it and will have to withdraw from it too. My doctor's response to this is that the dose is very low and should not concern me.

And, of course, there's the addiction which comes with Zopiclone. Again I have been told that as I am only taking the equivalent of 5mg of Valium this should not be a problem.

One thing from all this I would like to emphasise to other members on this site: PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT INTO YOUR OWN HANDS TO CUT A DOSE OF AN ANTIDEPRESSANT WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. The reason I have put this in capital letters is because I only cut the drug for three nights. And the consequence has been two and a half months of misery I did not need to endure. Antidepressants especially those with relatively short half lives change the way the brain works. It adjusts to accommodate the antidepressant and all of a sudden it is taken away. And hey presto all sorts of symptoms are unleashed on the body. And don't think that by returning to the original dose all will be well. In my case, it wasn't and as a result I had to come off 90mgs much quicker than the textbooks recommend.

I hope anyone who reads this is going well in their journey to health and well being.

All the best,

Ivan.

My concern  sensations

I do have a question if anyone is prepared to answer it. Will taking small doses of Endep and Zopiclone (which I am taking reluctantly) interfere in any way with the recovery from my withdrawal from Mirtazapine? Another question is: Which is more difficult to get off Temazepam or Zopiclone?

Ivan,

I think you will get better, but I don't think you should be taking responsibility for your situation. It sounds more like you were having an adverse reaction to the drug and did the logical thing and decreased the dose. You cannot be expected to continue taking something at a dosage that is double the recommended maximum dose if it is making things worse for you. I think your current misery is more caused by the habitual overestimation of benefits and underestimation of harms of the drug you were taking by your doctor - which resulted in an adverse reaction and necessitated a rapid withdrawal - rather than your entirely reasonable decision to decrease the dosage. I think the maximum dosage of Mirtazapine is 45mg for a reason. It's not an entirely arbitrary number.

Thanks for the encouraging words. At the moment I feel as if I am trapped in a vicious circle. I am taking drugs I don’t want to take to counteract the drug I was really concerned about and reduced. I don’t want to be taking Zopiclone or Endep. Indeed, I have become profoundly suspicious of any psychiatric drug. I would appreciate some information if possible about their effects if any on my possible recovery from Mirtazapine withdrawal. If I don’t take these drugs I get little if any sleep and life would truly be a living hell. But if I do take them I am risking addiction and dependency. And one of them could be impeding my recovery.

The psychiatrist is very experienced but I believe he got my treatment seriously wrong. He never informed of the dangers associated with cutting from such a high dose. Nor has he satisfactorily explained why I needed to be on this high dose plus a number of other psychiatric drugs including the maximum dose of Lexapro. My mistake was not to challenge him from the start.

I really am in despair. It is nearly five weeks since I stopped the drug and the symptoms have not relented.

I would not wish this withdrawal on my worst enemy. It is now over two and a half months since I made the stupid decision to cut Mirtazapine for three nights. I am now paying an horrific price for this thoughtless act. Day after day I put up with relentless aching. I try desperately hard to cope with it by I am reaching breaking point. This is so cruel; I had rebuilt my life from deep depression and benzo addiction to live a normal existence. But now life is so very difficult. I have lost faith in psychiatry and psychiatric drugs. I keep telling myself that I must go on and that maybe one day it will be all right. But I so very much wish that this would end but wishes don't always come true.

No one replied to my post about Zopiclone and Endep interfering with "discontinuation" from Mirtazapine. So I am assuming that none of you know about this. My GP and psychiatrist assert that they will not. At least I am now getting good sleep which enables me to keep going.

It is so ironic that I am now in great danger of becoming deeply depressed because of the consequences of taking a drug which has been designed to prevent depression. My psychiatrist by prescribing far too high a dosage has, in effect, killed the goose which laid the golden egg. I was tolerating this drug better than any other psychiatric drug and fooled myself into believing it would be easy to reduce it.

I know somehow I have to go on and believe I will get better.

I'm sorry you're suffering so much, Ivan. I think some of us need to nearly be killed to see the dangers of psychiatry and medicine in general. I think you will probably heal regardless of whether you are taking other drugs, unless they were to mimic the actions of Mirtazapine. But nobody knows much about antidepressant withdrawal, let alone what drugs to avoid for best healing. There have been very few studies evaluating whether a severe withdrawal syndrome exists. The official position of psychiatry until very recently has been that a severe withdrawal syndrome does not exist, which I have a hard time believing was not a deliberate lie.

In any case, probably the best place for you to get information on healing from antidepressant withdrawal is Surviving Antidepressants (https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/\)

They have compiled a large number of case studies and tried to derive some general principles from antidepressant withdrawal. I'm sure you will be able to find someone else who has come down off a large dose of Remeron (although maybe not as large as your dose, but I don't think that's too relevant). I'm sure you'll be able to find some useful tips on dealing with withdrawal and general best practices for avoiding setbacks on that site. I'd be interested to know what works best. I don't think there is any shortcut, but you will get better, however long that takes.

Thanks for the link to Survivingantidepressants.com However, I have already tried to get assistance from the people who run this site. Sadly, I was unable to take their advice which was to reinstate a very small dose of Mirtazapine. Even if I wanted to do this, I couldn't as neither my GP nor the psychiatrist will prescribe it for me and I have returned the pills I did have to the pharmacy for disposal. The low dose of Zopiclone and the small dose of Endep seem to be giving me sufficient sleep which is vital to my survival at the moment. Unfortunately, one of them is giving me gastro problems but I think I will have to wear that because sleep is so important at the moment.

The psychiatrist and the GP keep assuring me that as Endep works differently to Mirtazapine the drug should not interfere with any recovery. As yet there is no sign of improvement so I just keep motivating myself through this. It is extremely challenging. But I have to believe it will be all right in the end.

I am seeing the GP tomorrow to set up a mental health plan so that I can get some psychological assistance.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reassure me. The massive dose that I was on and the speed of coming off the drug has set me up for a painful and protracted withdrawal. I have to accept that and keep on keeping on.

Ivan.

I'm glad you are getting some help, Ivan. Although your psychiatrist is technically right in that the two medications don't act exactly the same way, saying they don't have similar mechanisms of action is pretty inaccurate.

Mirtazapine:5-HT2A = 6.3-69, 5HT2C Ki = 8.9-39, alpha2A = 20, alpha2B = 88, alpha2C = 18, H1 = 0.14-1.6

Amitryptiline (Endep): SERT = 2.8-4.3, NET = 19-35, 5HT2A = 18.23, 5HT2C = 4.0, alpha1 = 4.4-24, H1 = 0.5-1.1, M1-5 = around 11-35

These are the binding affinities for Mirtazapine and Endep. The lower the number, the stronger the binding affinity. These are only the ones that are significant. You can see that both drugs have many strong binding affinities for particular receptors in common, especially H1, 5HT2A and C. You would also expect the inhibition of the serotonin and norepinephrine transporters to increase serotonin and norepinephrine levels. I don't know how he can possibly say that Endep will not interfere with healing. The conventional understanding of how healing takes place is that the receptor types are allowed to return to normal in both affinity and number by downregulating or upregulating as necessary. If Endep has these receptor affinities, it seems likely it will prevent the H1 (histamine), 5HT2A and C, and 5HT (serotonin) and alpha (norepinephrine) from returning to normal. Hopefully, the action of Endep does not cause similar problems to Mirtazapine for you. If you want to fully heal from the Mirtazapine, I don't think you can do so taking the Endep. But it's your choice of course. I kind of wonder what your psychiatrist's conception of the clinical neuroscience of healing from withdrawal is, if it isn't this. Maybe you could ask him?

Alternatively, taking the Endep could act as a sort of quasi-reinstatement of the Mirtazapine, but it seems it didn't provide a terribly substantial amount of relief. If that was his idea, it wasn't a bad one. It does provide the opportunity to do a slow taper, if indeed you want to heal and have a drug wash-out period.

Thanks for your interesting and thoughtful reply, Data_Guy.

I have printed your response off and will show it to the psychiatrist on Monday when I see him. I did raise this issue with him last Monday. He said that I would never find a research paper on this subject as no one has ever done one - presumably because one wouldn't want to subject people to either of these drugs unless one really had to.

He is prescribing Endep because it assists with sleep. In that respect it is working. Prior to taking the Endep I was taking two tablets of Zopiclone (15 mgs) a night split into two doses one at bedtime and one in the early hours. With the Endep I have reduced the Zopiclone to two halves of a tablet. I have gone from getting limited disturbed sleep to six to seven hours of good sleep. The consequence is that I am able to handle the symptoms better.

However, bearing in mind what you have said, I will attempt to reduce the Endep dose to 15mgs tomorrow night. I have a lot to do tomorrow so I will leave it to the next evening. As you quite rightly say, the other concern about Endep is that I could become dependent on it.

I feel as if I am caught in a vicious circle and am now experiencing yet again the need to take psychiatric drugs to address the impact of another psychiatric drug.

I do want to get off all psychiatric drugs but my problem is that three times in my life depression has come from nowhere and stolen years of my life. Each time I was on no drugs. The psychiatrist argues strongly that I need to be on one to (as he puts it) "protect me". So I may have to go along with this analysis of my situation. What I do know is that the amount of drugs I was on was ludicrously high and I will not allow myself to be on those kinds of doses again. The psychiatrist understands this so hopefully I can retain a working relationship with him to achieve a desirable outcome.

I really do appreciate your input and will try as best I can to get through this without being on too many drugs. But sadly at the moment sleep is essential: without it I would be in serious trouble.

Regards,

Ivan.

I would like to add one more thing. Today I discovered that the highest dose of Mirtazapine used in clinical trials is 60mgs. Yet I was on another 30mgs. After what has happened I appreciate the utter stupidity of giving me this high dose. It is recognised that these drugs come with side effects so my psychiatrist had in fact set me up for a nightmare at some time in the future. Moreover, not only did he prescribe this dose he failed to warn me of the dangers of missing or cutting doses. I have politely told him this. He just deflected my concerns and moved on. He will never apologise and unfortunately I have to rely on him to give me prescriptions for other drugs which give me sleep and stop me from collapsing into a depression Mirtazapine is supposed to protect me from.

It is so sad that I know all this stuff about the dangers of taking antidepressants after rather than before this disaster.

I am determined to keep going. However, life is now all about survival and enjoyment is something I am no longer capable of. I can appreciate that something I am doing is worthwhile but that's about all. I am actually proud of how I have handled withdrawal so far. Something like should no be inflicted on another human being.

I cam maintain the rage I feel but I know that it won't help. Only determination will.

And one more thing. Data_Guy I am going to have to think that the 20mgs of Endep is a kind of reinstatement. If I don’t, I will keep thinking that I am never going to recover. I desperately need sleep and Endep gives me that. As much as I hate the idea that I could become dependent on this drug if it helps me avoid disaster I will live with that. At least it’s not 90mgs of Mirtazapine. Indeed, I found an antidepressant equivalency webpage and I am taking around one eleventh of what I was taking before.

I will post the psychiatrist’s response to your post after I meet him on Monday.

Thanks yet again for the concern you have showed me, Data_Guy.

Best wishes, Ivan.