Keto Diet Support Group

[Gr...]

Well hello!

I haven't been on benzo buddies in...years I think. Cantfly, it's good to see you're still kickin around in Australia :)

My doctor okayed me for a  keto diet years ago, he said he thought it would help me heal my brain. I then found carnivore and just this year have been eating mostly meat. I haven't been able to give up my 85% dark chocolate yet but I'm going to try. I have noticed a difference in my sxs but then I had a colonoscopy and a CT scan with contrast. I'm allergic to contrast so I had a huge dose of Prednisone. I've been trying to recover some balance since then. Also my beloved 14 year old German Shephard died and that hasn't helped with anything. She and I were extremely close.

I love a little chocolate so I found Cacao agrees with me and fits into Keto lifestyle.  I do add just a teenie bit of stevia, the Purisure seems pretty close to actually being pure, but if you use a sweetner, whatever you use would work ;)  I make fat-bombs sometimes, often actually, and have them for dessert.  I have little trays to pour the "batter" into so they are quite small, like an icecube but still enough to satisfy me ;)

I did notice before all this happened that my WD sxs had gotten a lot better and that my taper was easier. I'm hoping over time that everything will get better again. I have to say I'm enjoying eating meat and for the first time in my taper journey I'm losing weight instead of gaining it! That was unexpected and exciting! I'm hoping I continue to lose weight but I really never expect anything as tapering is always full of twists and turns  ;D

Rebecca, I have found a bunch of videos on YouTube to help with the question of how much to eat. Usually it's as Cantfly said, eat to satiety and only when hungry. I find I'm not as hungry as I used to be either.

Hugs and healing

T

Is feeling weak on this diet less than two weeks in to be expected? I’m beginning to wonder if it might just be too much for my body to handle. I’m not in ketosis yet. The first eight days things improved. Resurgence of symptoms about nine days in….UGH

Is feeling weak on this diet less than two weeks in to be expected? I’m beginning to wonder if it might just be too much for my body to handle. I’m not in ketosis yet. The first eight days things improved. Resurgence of symptoms about nine days in….UGH

I felt tired a lot the first 2 weeks or so, not much longer as I recall.  I'll try and look back on my early posts on my ketogenic forum. But it's what they call "keto flu" sometimes, which you probably already know, but so I was a bit prepared to feel sort of bad, and I stocked up on keto friendly food to cook, I cook all my own meals because I don't trust the Keto-friendly in the grocery isles after reading a few lables.  Be sure to eat enough, I just went by if I'm hungry I eat, I had wd's from sugars and carbs which I think was why I felt so cruddy.  Sort of a cleansing time for my body like I'm going through now with the benzo ;)

I felt tired a lot the first 2 weeks or so, not much longer as I recall.  I'll try and look back on my early posts on my ketogenic forum. But it's what they call "keto flu" sometimes, which you probably already know, but so I was a bit prepared to feel sort of bad, and I stocked up on keto friendly food to cook, I cook all my own meals because I don't trust the Keto-friendly in the grocery isles after reading a few lables.  Be sure to eat enough, I just went by if I'm hungry I eat, I had wd's from sugars and carbs which I think was why I felt so cruddy.  Sort of a cleansing time for my body like I'm going through now with the benzo ;)

The adaptation phase. Yeah, feeling fatigued is quite common as Oregonlady said. I found that making sure I got electrolytes also helped with the fatigue. When we first go keto or carnivore our bodies lose a lot of water and with it a lot of electrolytes which is one of the causes of keto flu, along with the carb withdrawals of course :laugh:

I’m not in ketosis yet though. That’s what makes me nervous about this now. I was hopeful. It helped for 8 days unless that was placebo.

I found looking at the way I feel to be a better indicator for being in ketosis than any other method.

In the initial stages of a ketosis diet, people may feel more tired and weaker than usual. This fatigue occurs as the body switches from burning carbohydrates to burning fat for energy. Carbohydrates provide a quicker burst of energy to the body.    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323544 

I think everyone has a different threshold for how many carbs they can eat and still be in ketosis. If you don't think you are in ketosis do you think you may be eating too many carbs?

I’m working with a nutritionist to help with all of it. Since I’m not exactly organized right now due to being in PAWS. She has me eating two slices of keto bread a day and 20 blueberries plus coconut milk so definitely getting come carbs.

The adaptation phase. Yeah, feeling fatigued is quite common as Oregonlady said. I found that making sure I got electrolytes also helped with the fatigue. When we first go keto or carnivore our bodies lose a lot of water and with it a lot of electrolytes which is one of the causes of keto flu, along with the carb withdrawals of course :laugh:

So glad you added this, totally forgot and I made my own at home as I had some granuled pottasium, and pink Himalayan Salt which I like, and then I also started Magnesium as I got some bad cramping in my feet and toes and calves at first ;)  I only use just under 1/8 tsp of Pot. and Salt to 16 ounces of water.  I think it's helped me a lot :)

So glad you added this, totally forgot and I made my own at home as I had some granuled pottasium, and pink Himalayan Salt which I like, and then I also started Magnesium as I got some bad cramping in my feet and toes and calves at first ;)  I only use just under 1/8 tsp of Pot. and Salt to 16 ounces of water.  I think it's helped me a lot :)

That's awesome!  :thumbsup: I had a ketorade recipe that I used to make but my family and I struggled to drink it. We started buying electrolytes instead and those we use, lol. It has definitely made a difference. Sleeping better, no leg cramps anymore, less fatigue. I've had a bad case of fatigue since I started tapering and the electrolytes haven't helped with that, sadly ::)

I bet yours tastes better too ;)  but I got pretty used to the more salty taste.  I recently got into just one usually a day, of sparkling water by Bubly.  I honestly don't know what they are using for flavoring, but I love the Watermelon and Blueberry Pomegranite.  No Electrolyte value but just a treat I guess ;)

it also has zero sugar and not added sweetner which I do add my own teenie bit of pretty pure stevia white powder.

I bet yours tastes better too ;)  but I got pretty used to the more salty taste.  I recently got into just one usually a day, of sparkling water by Bubly.  I honestly don't know what they are using for flavoring, but I love the Watermelon and Blueberry Pomegranite.  No Electrolyte value but just a treat I guess ;)

it also has zero sugar and not added sweetner which I do add my own teenie bit of pretty pure stevia white powder.

I love Bubly. It's nice to be able to get some different flavors. I drink it very rarely but it's nice to have the option. I also get migraines and the caffeinated Bubly is great because it doesn't have too much caffeine.

I love Bubly. It's nice to be able to get some different flavors. I drink it very rarely but it's nice to have the option. I also get migraines and the caffeinated Bubly is great because it doesn't have too much caffeine.

Wow, I don't do caffeine at all, so I better look again at what I'm drinking.  I also get migraine but at least much less often than when I was a kid and on up until menopause when I think they subsided for a year or two.  Now only once maybe a year thank goodness.

Wow, I don't do caffeine at all, so I better look again at what I'm drinking.  I also get migraine but at least much less often than when I was a kid and on up until menopause when I think they subsided for a year or two.  Now only once maybe a year thank goodness.

I was hoping mine would go away with menopause but mine are due to a concussion and also sinus surgery. The weather changes can hit me hard, especially when I'm tapering. I only use the caffeine if I'm really bad. I can't drink caffeine at all if I'm not migraining as it causes really bad anxiety if I do.

tntd..!! -How fantastic to see you here too..!! :)

Thank you for your posts here..!!

I also have these issues of transitional fatigue, and the electrolyte/salts to contend with..  It seems to correct quickly when I do though..

:)

I was hoping mine would go away with menopause but mine are due to a concussion and also sinus surgery. The weather changes can hit me hard, especially when I'm tapering. I only use the caffeine if I'm really bad. I can't drink caffeine at all if I'm not migraining as it causes really bad anxiety if I do.

I'm so sorry to hear that about your migraines as they have truly been debilitating although I never thought of trying to get disability which would have helped me a lot, but still allowed me to work, I think so anyway.  I struggled to hold jobs as some just don't understand why we can't take 2 aspirin and "get over it" :(

I should have mentioned "why" I gave up even my 2 cups of coffee in the a.m.'s (still have decaf which I know has some).  I really miss it sometimes but it made my tremors way worse.  I had tremors when I was a little girl but they would come and go.  I would get real shakey when I had to go to the front of a class-room for example.  But it's gotten way worse over the years of using the benzo.  I am not sure if I'll get better when off the pill or it's just a genetic thing as some have said my dad had it.  Anyway, I hope I didn't sound like some caffeine snob as it always smelled and tasted so good in the a.m.'s ;)  and I drank pop with caffeine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to hear that about your migraines as they have truly been debilitating although I never thought of trying to get disability which would have helped me a lot, but still allowed me to work, I think so anyway.  I struggled to hold jobs as some just don't understand why we can't take 2 aspirin and "get over it" :(

I should have mentioned "why" I gave up even my 2 cups of coffee in the a.m.'s (still have decaf which I know has some).  I really miss it sometimes but it made my tremors way worse.  I had tremors when I was a little girl but they would come and go.  I would get real shakey when I had to go to the front of a class-room for example.  But it's gotten way worse over the years of using the benzo.  I am not sure if I'll get better when off the pill or it's just a genetic thing as some have said my dad had it.  Anyway, I hope I didn't sound like some caffeine snob as it always smelled and tasted so good in the a.m.'s ;)  and I drank pop with caffeine.

Lol, You definitely don't sound like a caffeine snob. I also drink decafe coffee on occasion. I seem to do ok with that so far. I also still have really dark chocolate. I'm going to try to quit that but not just yet. I'm a little worried I'll have WD from it on top of the WD of tapering clonazepam,  :laugh:

You're so right about people not understanding why you can't just take 2 aspirin and feel better. My daughter has chronic migraines and has worried about being able to hold down a full time job. It took her seven years to finish her bachelors degree because of the migraines. I'm really proud of her that she was able to finish her degree and has now been working for three years. Unfortunately they just told everyone that they will have to work in the office instead of from home so I don't know how that's going to affect her. She is getting Botox injections for the migraines and it seems to be helping. The keto diet helps too but her husband doesn't do it so it's harder for her to stay consistent with it.  I'm so glad you're migraines improved with menopause!

Hi TND!

I would sure be proud of your daughters accomplishments as well!  On the Dark Chocolate, I love it, and can have Cacao powder I make into little fat-bomb candies.  Surprisingly, the cacao doesn't give me migraine, but my cacao doesn't have sugar in it that I can't have because of T2.  I can use a little stevia in both my decaf, and when I bake something for a treat.  I did have some wd sxs from sugar, and the high carbs (I love stuff like McDonalds and fast-food, sort of a carb-junkie  ;D  yum yum  :laugh:  I think for about a month, maybe more, I had what they call "keto flu".  It was wd from and changing my body from carbs for main source of fuel, to fat being my main source.  Just paraphrasing really as I've read so much, and joined a forum like BB, only for Ketogenics instead.  I needed them just like I need BB now, and I still drop in because there's always new info to learn about :)

I also got botox injections (3 sets of 5 shots in my neck over 9 months.) but mine didn't help.  That was the same time another neuro prescribed Klonopin.  I think that's what I was first prescribed, had good insurance back then working for Intel in Oregon.  Anyway, been on the C generic brand since then (1988).  I got be honest, sometimes I think how could I have been so ignorant but finished beating myself up.  Just looking forward to way more quality of life, I am believing  :smitten::thumbsup:  Thanks again for your note, I think your daughter is very lucky to have a loving Mom to stand by her ;) Denise

Aw thanks Denise  :)

I'm sorry that Botox didn't work for you.

What is the ketogenic forum you are on? I've been doing Keto for four or five years now and just this year moved on to carnivore which is actually more ketovore because of the one serving of dark chocolate I still have. I also use stevia in my coffee. I really love the butter coffee but I also put hydrolyzed collagen in so it has some protein too. Nummy stuff. I've been keto/carnivore for so long now that I'm not really interested in carbs anymore. I also am like Can't and have developed awful reactions to most veggies/nuts/fruits etc. It's kind of what lead to the carnivore diet for me. It actually has made my sxs a lot better. Well it did until I had a colonoscopy and then a CT scan for abdominal pain. I think I'm starting to recover from those things now. I've also introduced iodine into my life and it's currently causing some side effects from pushing bromide out. Hopefully that will pass pretty quickly because I was loving how carnivore was making my WD sxs so much more manageable.

We all have to do what we have to do to help ourselves!...Ashton says no need for drastic dies changes (she was not right about everything..she as only human).

For me, it was so strange..I felt better eating ice cream and a low sugar cookie,  I did not deprive myself and did postive affirmations each night thatI was gong to heal with ease and not have to turn into a health food person who stay away from everything.

OTC pain meds like advil and tylenol gave me horrible upticks in symptoms, not so much food.  Go figure!  And suplemnts did not work well for me and gave me many setbacks.

How different this affects eveyone.

Bread made me feel energetic, and so did organic chocolate chip ccokis.  Crazy!  I drink Milk the entire taper.  3 years!

What is the ketogenic forum you are on? I've been doing Keto for four or five years now and just this year moved on to carnivore which is actually more ketovore because of the one serving of dark chocolate I still have. I also use stevia in my coffee. I really love the butter coffee but I also put hydrolyzed collagen in so it has some protein too. Nummy stuff. I've been keto/carnivore for so long now that I'm not really interested in carbs anymore. I also am like Can't and have developed awful reactions to most veggies/nuts/fruits etc. It's kind of what lead to the carnivore diet for me. It actually has made my sxs a lot better. Well it did until I had a colonoscopy and then a CT scan for abdominal pain. I think I'm starting to recover from those things now. I've also introduced iodine into my life and it's currently causing some side effects from pushing bromide out. Hopefully that will pass pretty quickly because I was loving how carnivore was making my WD sxs so much more manageable.

I hope it's ok to mention the name of my other forum, I am not there much as it isn't that much of a social place, more "down to business" but lots of good info there, interactive mods, and other regulars ;)  ketogenicforums.com.  They have a lot of different "boards" including exercise.  I found out nothing at all for addictions so no competition for this site at all.  Should be ok to mention them.  I am glad I didn't attempt Keto the same time I began to taper off the C because it was a bit rough at first, but absolutely nothing like the benzo wd sxs ;)  I do use collagen, not sure it's hydrolized, I can't remember have to look ;)  I like how it gives my decaf a bit of froth, and did I mention using half and half?  Benzo brain, ain't it grand  :idiot::laugh:

I hope it's ok to mention the name of my other forum, I am not there much as it isn't that much of a social place, more "down to business" but lots of good info there, interactive mods, and other regulars ;)  ketogenicforums.com.  They have a lot of different "boards" including exercise.  I found out nothing at all for addictions so no competition for this site at all.  Should be ok to mention them.  I am glad I didn't attempt Keto the same time I began to taper off the C because it was a bit rough at first, but absolutely nothing like the benzo wd sxs ;)  I do use collagen, not sure it's hydrolized, I can't remember have to look ;)  I like how it gives my decaf a bit of froth, and did I mention using half and half?  Benzo brain, ain't it grand  :idiot::laugh:

Hey OregonLady thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out.

I watch a lot of carnivore videos and they help me a lot. There's just so much information out there. I don't remember if you mentioned half and half. I have to be carful with milk so I stick to the heavy whipping cream. Actually, I mostly don't use cream anymore, I think it was causing me some issues. We're all so different. Do what works best for you :D  Benzo brain is so grand  :o:laugh:

Hi guys.. :)

Sorry, crazy days here getting ready for this huge 4x4 adventure -20000 odd kilometres of the hardest tracks she can find in Australia it seems.. lol

I will be absent a few months soon..

Both being carnivore, you should see our meat list for the butter..!! :)

So, I slipped on the weekend and ate -eek, dare I say it, plant food at a bbq I put on.. Just a bit of potato salad and coleslaw.. omg..!! I knew my mistake within 5min.!! More a reaction than a response..

My guess this is good, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if, or how much, this unusual substance I ate was impacted by the now lack of suitable microbiome to contend with it..?? Cos I was down n out for about 10hours..!!

It’s like this every time, even the tiniest amount of pretty well most plant foods..!!

I see lots of Keto’s eating some plant based without issue..!! Though I know Michaela Peterson is much the same as myself in so many ways..

Anyways, inwards and upwards fellow warriors, love life, play hard.. :)

Sorry, crazy days here getting ready for this huge 4x4 adventure -20000 odd kilometres of the hardest tracks she can find in Australia it seems.. lol

So, I slipped on the weekend and ate -eek, dare I say it, plant food at a bbq I put on.. Just a bit of potato salad and coleslaw.. omg..!! I knew my mistake within 5min.!! More a reaction than a response..

My guess this is good, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if, or how much, this unusual substance I ate was impacted by the now lack of suitable microbiome to contend with it..?? Cos I was down n out for about 10hours..!!

It’s like this every time, even the tiniest amount of pretty well most plant foods..!!

I see lots of Keto’s eating some plant based without issue..!! Though I know Michaela Peterson is much the same as myself in so many ways..

Hi  can’t 😁 I can’t do potatoes I suddenly I kept having really bad reactions to the spuds they’re nightshade plant I cannot touch any nightshade at all they make me feel  dreadful. I hope you’re going to video your road trip and put it on YouTube which I think is a grand idea being as you now got your little 4x4 club on the go that would be excellent👍

Nova ❤️ 💛 ❤️

Hi  can’t 😁 I can’t do potatoes I suddenly I kept having really bad reactions to the spuds they’re nightshade plant I cannot touch any nightshade at all they make me feel  dreadful. I hope you’re going to video your road trip and put it on YouTube which I think is a grand idea being as you now got your little 4x4 club on the go that would be excellent👍

Nova ❤️ 💛 ❤️

Yup, Spuds and most oils seem the worst, but I’m pretty sure there Wud b others..

Kate is the Instagram Queen, and has big plans..!! I’m sure we will put something nice together from it, but we will also be flying through it all, as we only have 9weeks for what most take 6months to do..

:)